Forum Index > Trip Reports > Meander Meadow and Cady Ridge, June 19, 2016
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Roald

Roald
PostWed Jun 22, 2016 9:44 pm 
Meander Meadows
Meander Meadows
“It’s a trap!” Erika warned us. “Don’t go there.” You would think Erika was talking about our route. I wish she had been. The six of us had intended a run up Cady Ridge to the PCT, or maybe Lake Sally Ann, returning the same way. The south-facing slopes would be mostly free of snow, we surmised. I told my daughter Alex we would be back before lunch – plenty of time to drive to Seattle for a Father’s Day dinner with her in-laws. But here’s what actually happened: A tenth of a mile from the car, we were supposed to turn left toward Cady Ridge. Revved up with caffeine, however, we all blew right by the turnoff and headed up toward Meander Meadow instead.
Trail sign we missed
Trail sign we missed
Rob realized this about a half mile later and stopped us all to discuss retracing our steps to the turnoff. But someone had a better idea: “Hey, let’s just keep going and turn this into a loop trip. We can come back down Cady Ridge.” I do not remember who first proposed this. But this is where Erika’s warning would have come in handy. “It’s a trap!” she might have warned us all. “It’ll take forever and you’ll be late for dinner!” Although that would have been helpful, it is not what Erika said. Or rather, she did say, “It’s a trap!” but not then and not there. And timing is everything, you know. Rather, when Erika said, “It’s a trap!” is was earlier in the morning as we drove up the Little Wenatchee road to the trailhead. Somehow the subject of having kids had come up, and Erika wasted no time warning Alex about the hazards of motherhood: “It’s a trap! Don’t do it. Sell your house. Don’t have a kid. Get out and do something. That’s my advice for you.” Now, I can’t help but point out that Erika has not exactly taken her own advice. I mean, have you seen her house? It is a very nice house. A very, very nice house. Oh, and she also has four kids. Four. That’s right. Makes you wonder just how long it took her to realize it’s a trap. I’m just saying. Besides, here she was, getting outside on a very cool outing. And this is with four kids. She does it all. Maybe she was just guessing, correctly, that the rest of us can’t do it all. Anyway, my point is that, if Erika was going to warn us about anything, she could have warned us about the trap that stared us right in the face that very day. She could have warned us that the loop trip through Meander Meadow and down Cady Ridge would turn slightly epic. But instead, she was too busy giving life advice to my daughter. So, without any useful warning from Erika, at least about our route, we continued our run up to Meander Meadow. And it was pretty:
Trail up toward Meander Meadow
Trail up toward Meander Meadow
Looking down the Little Wenatchee valley
Looking down the Little Wenatchee valley
Glacier lilies - yum
Glacier lilies - yum
At 6.8 miles from the car we hit the PCT, and snow. This stretch of the PCT was rainy when Alex barreled through on her through-hike a few years ago. Rainy then, snowy now:
Alex revisits the PCT
Alex revisits the PCT
We spent the next 3 or so miles in snow. With gawking, routefinding, and sidehilling in running shoes, it took us about 93 hours.
Pinwheels!
Pinwheels!
Rob and Pierre scouting ahead
Rob and Pierre scouting ahead
PCT sign
PCT sign
Slow running
Slow running
Susan on PCT
Susan on PCT
Glacier Peak kept hiding:
Glacier Peak hiding
Glacier Peak hiding
But the views were terrific:
Our route toward Cady Ridge
Our route toward Cady Ridge
Paradise along the PCT
Paradise along the PCT
New snow up high
New snow up high
Somewhere in the middle of the snow, we tried to teach Pierre, who is from France, the difference between “bonking” and “boinking.” But it soon became apparent that we could not agree on what the difference is. My takeaway from this conversation is that everything is a euphemism. Even when you have run out of food and your blood sugar is low and you are exhausted and cannot go any farther, you cannot tell your hiking partners that you are “bonking” because they might think you are talking about sex. Even when you are crawling on the ground and unable to drag your sorry ass another foot because you carried only two bars with you, thinking this would be a short run, when sex is clearly the last thing on your mind, if you say you are going to “bonk,” your hiking partners are going to laugh at you. Again, I'm just saying. On this trip I was loaded with food and did not come close to bonking, fortunately. Or boinking, unfortunately. Neither one. Whatever either one means. But let me get back to the trip. Eventually we got onto Cady Ridge and down below the snow line.
Glacier lilies popping out
Glacier lilies popping out
The heather feels so good
The heather feels so good
And Glacier Peak mostly showed itself:
Glacier Peak popping out
Glacier Peak popping out
Then we scooted down the trail. So we turned a morning run into a 6-hour foray into the east side of the Cascade crest. Alex and I were late for dinner. Worse, Rob and Pierre were not able to show up for their ski team’s practice that afternoon – and they are the ski team coaches! (Check out the Plain Valley Ski Team here. Really, if there is anything worth checking out in this TR, this is it.) Coda: Alex repeated Erika’s advice (“It’s a trap!”) to her partner that night over dinner. Jax replied, “But I don’t see why we can’t keep the house.” Trip stats: Distance: 16.1 miles, per Green Trails Time: 6 hours Wet feet: 12 Fun quotient: 42 (The snow looks like it will last a few more weeks, but with visibility the navigating is easy along the PCT right now.)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
FiveNines

FiveNines
PostWed Jun 22, 2016 10:28 pm 
Boinking gets you four kids. Bonking is what happens to energy levels after you have four kids. Thought everyone knew that? Were there many blowdowns on Cady Ridge? Good style.

Distel32

Distel32
PostThu Jun 23, 2016 6:02 am 
up.gif We must have just missed each other on both ends (lot was empty when I started and returned)? I'm assuming you are "Bunch of nuts" in the TH register lol.gif

Roald

Roald
PostThu Jun 23, 2016 8:06 am 
Hi Distel32! So that was your red truck in the parking lot. It sounds like you had an adventure up Poets Ridge. Sorry we missed meeting you. As for the "Bunch of nuts," I did not fill out the trail register. But I know who did... FiveNines, the Cady Ridge trail itself had maybe 12-15(?) blowdowns - it felt about normal for a trail that gets cleared out most seasons. As for your definitions, you win! (I actually came home and looked up the urban dictionary here.) rolleyes.gif

MtnManic

MtnManic
PostFri Jun 24, 2016 6:14 pm 
Are the blowdowns going to be a big nuisance with a backpack? I'm planning a trip there in about a month, and climbing over and around big trees gets exhausting after claiming over and around many big trees. Think most of the snow on the PCT will be gone in 3 wks? 5 wks?

Backpacking: limited to one pack at a time. Cameras: limited to as many as I can carry.
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostFri Jun 24, 2016 9:11 pm 
Nice. up.gif I too, do love the suffering up there. wub.gif Whaaat? uhh.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSat Jun 25, 2016 8:00 am 
Always an entertaining read from you. up.gif

Knows literally nothing
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Jun 26, 2016 11:45 am 
Revved up with caffeine, however, we all blew right by the turnoff and headed up toward Meander Meadow instead. Caffeine and GU been there wondering how I missed the obvious trail. winksmile.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Roald

Roald
PostMon Jun 27, 2016 9:37 pm 
Thanks! MtnManic - Some of the blowdowns will be a nuisance with a large pack, but there is nothing that should deter you from visiting the Cady Ridge or Meander Meadow trails, imho. I get the impression these trails get brushed out fairly often, although usually later in the season. Three weeks from now (four from when we were there) should take care of most of the snowpack on the portion of the PCT we visited, and by late July you are likely to have just minor snow patches. (It's a reminder of just how short the growing season is for the wildflowers up high.) Enjoy your trip!