Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Mountain Beavers - Bears
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostMon Dec 05, 2016 5:59 pm 
I have seen them alive and above ground only a couple times in my childhood on the OlyPen, and always knew it was a rare treat since they're normally nocturnal. They apparently like cutting thimbleberry branches and dragging them underground. smile.gif My dad tells a story from back in the day about him and my grandfather working on a logging site somewhere east of Coos Bay up in the hills, and one of them spotted a mountain beaver so grandpa's hat was dropped on it and of all the luck the darn thing was captured under it. Grandpa immediately made it clear that the hat was to be carefully removed and the beaver let lose without pestering it as they had a reputation for fighting back pretty ferociously. When I was in collage I happened to talk to some grad students attempting to do some research on mountain beavers. They said that coyotes west of the Cascades ate quite a few of them (scat studies). They also mentioned that they'd only ever seen one live one in the round in a live trap, and it was so aggressive that in spite of their overwhelming curiosity they let it go right away. Of course I had to let them know that my grandpa would have backed their behavioral observation up, lol!

~Mom jeans on wheels
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
davidsherrod

davidsherrod
PostMon Dec 05, 2016 6:37 pm 
Mountain beavers are common in my back yard here in Graham. My dogs have tangled with them a few times over the years. Despite their small size, they have no problem defending themselves from my dogs. One time one of my dogs got his face bit and he was bleeding all over the back porch. Here is a pic of one that my dogs cornered against the house on a rainy night.
Mountain Beaver
Mountain Beaver

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostTue Dec 06, 2016 3:33 pm 
Yeah, they look like a low rent guinea pig, lol.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Dec 06, 2016 10:51 pm 
^^Or a really big rat! I saw one swimming down the Little Naches one evening when I was car-camped there. I've seen beavers in the Yakima R. near Lake Easton but not sure what kind they were. They had big tails they slapped the water with when they saw me.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Dec 07, 2016 8:50 am 
Bedivere wrote:
I saw one swimming down the Little Naches one evening when I was car-camped there.
A Mountain Beaver swimming? Could it have been a Muskrat?

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostWed Dec 07, 2016 2:42 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
I've seen beavers in the Yakima R. near Lake Easton but not sure what kind they were. They had big tails they slapped the water with when they saw me.
Those are beaver-beavers, lol. And yeah, they're in the main trunk of the Yak, along with a whole lot of other places in KittCo. Daughter checking out fresh activity on Umtaneum cr last weekend.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Dec 07, 2016 9:39 pm 
Do beavers not swim? I dunno, could've been a muskrat. It was dusk and it was definitely a large rodent just kind of floating on the current down the middle of the river (which is pretty small where we were camped.)

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Dec 08, 2016 1:29 am 
Muskrats look like a small beaver with a round tail. We had them in the pond behind our house in Kanada. Beavers are bigger than you think, not terribly cute, and can be aggressive. It also could have been a nutria.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
glenoid

glenoid
PostThu Dec 08, 2016 9:13 am 
Sorry for a slight thread drift...... While living in southern Michigan we would go ice skating on the lake we lived on. When the lake was not snow covered we could see everything below our skates especially in shallower water. At times we would see muskrats swimming below the ice quite far from shore. To catch a breath, they would swim up to the ice where air bubbles had formed and gulp in some air. It was pretty cool.... Water dogs were also quite active in the winter below the ice.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Dec 08, 2016 2:05 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
Do beavers not swim?
This thread is about the species known as Aplodontia, colloquially called "Mountain Beaver" or "Boomer," which is not a beaver and AFAIK does not swim, or at least doesn't make a habit of it.
Bedivere wrote:
a large rodent
Yeah, could have been a Nutria, much larger than Muskrat.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Dec 08, 2016 3:24 pm 
There is a Mountain Beaver that lives in the woods behind my townhome. He's kind of a secretive fellow. Going to echo Big Steve, Mountain Beavers are N-O-T beavers. They live in the woods, so I don't know if they swim or not.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Dec 12, 2016 9:28 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Muskrats look like a small beaver with a round tail. We had them in the pond behind our house in Kanada. Beavers are bigger than you think, not terribly cute, and can be aggressive. It also could have been a nutria.
Couldn't tell tail shape - only saw the head and back as it lazily drifted by. It dived under a log just downstream from camp and I didn't see it again.
BigSteve wrote:
Bedivere wrote:
Do beavers not swim?
This thread is about the species known as Aplodontia, colloquially called "Mountain Beaver" or "Boomer," which is not a beaver and AFAIK does not swim, or at least doesn't make a habit of it.
Bedivere wrote:
a large rodent
Yeah, could have been a Nutria, much larger than Muskrat.
Well whattaya know, a "Beaver" that isn't a Beaver. Dumb name if ya ask me. Up 'til BS's post above I assumed we were talking about a smaller species of Beaver that inhabited more upper-elevation type areas than typical Beavers. Thanks for the edumacation! As for it being a Nutria - I hope not. Could they be that far up the Little Naches? I always thought they preferred warmer climates.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Dec 13, 2016 8:48 am 
Bedivere wrote:
Well whattaya know, a "Beaver" that isn't a Beaver. Dumb name if ya ask me.
A Brook Trout is not a trout. A Nighthawk is not a hawk.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Dec 13, 2016 11:44 am 
The American robin isn't a robin, it's a thrush.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Dec 13, 2016 5:12 pm 
Douglas Fir is not a fir.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn