Forum Index > Gear Talk > Garmin Oregon 600, 64*, or eTrex30x
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BoxKite

BoxKite
PostWed Jun 29, 2016 10:42 pm 
I have nearly settled on a new Garmin 600. However, it seems the few bad reviews are seriously bad, and relate to reliability, robustness, or phony claims for battery life. Has anyone bought a Garmin 600 in the last 12 months that has had significant trouble ? Also, it seems the eTrex30x or even the Garmin 64 is almost as good as the 600, excluding the touchscreen. Anyone have a stong opinion on any of these three Garmin models (600, 64, etrex30x) ? Is there really such a thing as the "best" Garmin ? I am replacing a really old Garmin GPS12, so nearly anything will be an improvement. Priorities are 1) robustness, 2) reliability and accuracy, 3) ease of use, 4) battery life. All the modern GPS units seem to have plenty of space for points/tracks/maps.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostThu Jun 30, 2016 5:34 am 
With all the modern smart phones having GPS map apps and ability to download maps ahead of time; it seems like stand alone GPS units are a bit of a niche market anymore. An extra phone battery pack is lighter/cheaper than a stand alone unit.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
BoxKite

BoxKite
PostThu Jun 30, 2016 8:29 am 
Thanks for the reply, InFlight. Yep, you are right, stand-alone GPS is becoming a niche market. biggrin.gif I don't accept the baggage of cellphone based GPS, so I will get another stand-alone GPS. I have not found a cellphone GPS that can operate with the cellphone portion entirely turned off.

mike

mike
PostThu Jun 30, 2016 8:48 am 
My 600 series is a few years old so not a new one and not bit of trouble. Battery life is OK. Probably not quite as much as advertised but easily lasts a couple of days turning off when not moving. These kinds of claims like MPG are always "optimistic". Overall it has been a good solid unit. Not in the same market as a smart phone for sure.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Jun 30, 2016 9:50 am 
InFlight wrote:
With all the modern smart phones having GPS map apps and ability to download maps ahead of time; it seems like stand alone GPS units are a bit of a niche market anymore. An extra phone battery pack is lighter/cheaper than a stand alone unit.
I agree. Your phone has a much better screen that can show drastically more detail, too. Turns out I rarely use GPS for navigation. I just want a map of where I've been. But every now and then it's a life saver. I bought a Garmin watch, a Fenix 3. It gets about 20 hours of GPS to a charge, or a month and a half as a watch. I use it for hiking and backpacking, bring a battery pack on multi-day trips, and that setup is a lot lighter than the hiking GPS I used to carry. Works better for me, too.
Ross Lake
Ross Lake
Maple Pass
Maple Pass

mike

mike
PostThu Jun 30, 2016 10:30 am 
maybe, maybe not but the OP specifically didn't want a phone. ...

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostThu Jun 30, 2016 11:23 am 
BoxKite wrote:
I have not found a cellphone GPS that can operate with the cellphone portion entirely turned off.
Can't speak for Android devices; but all IPhones updated to IOS 8.3 and later have full GPS functionality in airplane mode. The current IPhone operating system is IOS 9.3.2.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Jun 30, 2016 11:39 am 
Android GPS works in airplane mode too. I've used the Google Sky Map to find the name of the bright star I'm looking at in plenty of wilderness camps. Also, Google lets you download their maps to your phone for free before you leave, and then pull them up in airplane mode.

BoxKite

BoxKite
PostThu Jun 30, 2016 4:42 pm 
Well, I talked to Garmin today and they clarified the differences between the Oregon, GPSMAP64, and the eTrex series. BTW Garmin just released the Oregon 700 series this morning, so I might look at those. Long story short, two different Garmin support folks said the GPSMAP64 is the best choice for 'serious' back country hiking. Garmin agreed the Montana/Oregon/GPSMAP/eTrex all have the same basic location capability. But, they said the eTrex is mostly for 'young families' and 'scouts' who occasionally hike, the GPSMAP64 is for hunters, winter enthusiasts, and 'serious' back country hiking, and the Oregon is for those wanting better styling and touchscreen, and who need road navigation as well as hiking. And the Montana is the 'Cadillac' version of the Oregon. Garmin gave their explanation for dedicated GPS versus Smartphone. According to them all Smartphones use cellphone assist and cell triangulation to derive position, along with the GPS sat system. They claimed that if you do not have a cellphone subscription, or the phone is out of range, the Smartphone GPS will still work, but not as fast and not as accurately. As well, they claimed most cellphone GPS is heavily geared for urban environments, not back country. The main reason I do not want cellphone GPS is that I do not have a dedicated cellphone subscription, and don't plan on getting one. I have a emergency only cellphone, but that's it. I will go and hand test the Garmins again, and maybe I'll get the GPSMAP 64.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostThu Jun 30, 2016 7:21 pm 
The iPhone uses a Qualcomm GPS chipset. Garmin uses a MediaTek GPS chipset. Both are capable of a basic real world positional accuracy of about 4 meters with good satellite availability; which is overkill for any hiking or backpacking positional needs. These chipsets are not tailored to any particular environment (urban vs rural). The details of these chipsets is provided in the link below. The current offerings from both manufactures have no significant difference in update rate, accuracy, or available signal sensitivity. Get a Garmin if your not a smart phone user; just don't expect any improved performance. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GPS_Chipset

tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Jun 30, 2016 8:17 pm 
I don't like the Oregon models/touch screen on a GPS. I love the 64 (and the 60), I think the 62 was kind of a lemon. If you don't want a touch screen or cameras and junk like that, the 64 is a great choice. I can't say if a smart phone is as good as pickup up satellites in difficult coverage areas as I haven't used my smart phone as a GPS. I prefer a dedicated unit that uses AA batteries and will actually last all day turned on and tracking. I would be real surprised if a GPS APP on a smartphone has as good of reception in difficult areas (canyons/tree cover etc) as the 64. Maybe one day I'll get bored and compare. Just need to bring extra battery packs for the smart phone the way I would use it.

mike

mike
PostThu Jun 30, 2016 8:39 pm 
(previously posted) Friends ifone yellow and my Montana red. Guess where the trees are.

BoxKite

BoxKite
PostFri Jul 01, 2016 8:48 am 
yea, if i understand the diagram, seems to make the case for the garmin.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Jul 01, 2016 12:40 pm 
I think my Garmin (watch) usually does a better job than my phone, as far as GPS goes. But the truth is I don't use my phone as a GPS often so it's hard to tell. The phone was completely unreliable for elevation gained, and the Garmin does a great job of that. I have an Android smart phone you can have (for free) to play around with the GPS while you sort this out if you like. You'll have to pick it up in the Eastlake neighborhood of Seattle if you want it. It's collecting dust now. The screen is kind of beat up and you won't want it as a forever solution, but if playing with the tech a bit will help you figure out what's best for you, it's yours.

BoxKite

BoxKite
PostFri Jul 01, 2016 7:03 pm 
Thanks for the generous Android offer, but I'm in Oregon. I tested several GPS units again today. Still surprised that inside the R'E'I' store, the only units that could acquire satellites were the eTrex30x, and my 18 year old Garmin GPS12. The Garmin Oregon, GPSMAP64, and Montana were not able to pick up inside R'E'I. Nor was the deLorme. I've crossed off the R'E'I store from my preferred trail list. biggrin.gif