Forum Index > Gear Talk > Garmin Oregon 600, 64*, or eTrex30x
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSat Jul 02, 2016 8:05 am 
Signal acquisition of a spread spectrum signal is much more difficult than tracking. Newer GPS units can make use of the newer three civilian Signals Standards, but may require a slightly higher signal strength (noise floor) to do so. In the real world; newer GPS receivers will have better performance in forested areas as opposed to roofed areas.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BoxKite

BoxKite
PostSat Jul 02, 2016 3:09 pm 
Thanks for the info, I'll read a bit more about it. Your reply reminded me I started in RF design, way back when Carter was in office. Maybe should've stuck with it. embarassedlaugh.gif . My latest idea is to just buy a good GPS data logger for $50, and Bluetooth it into a used tablet. That opens a few possibilities.

Cody s

Cody s
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 8:40 am 
I am also in the process of upgrading my etrax 30, the older it gets the worse it gets. I am considering the 64. What did you end up going with?

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 9:03 am 
Cody S, I have an etrex 30 but haven't had any issues, yet. What sort of trouble have you noticed?

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
christensent

christensent
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 9:10 am 
BoxKite wrote:
I tested several GPS units again today. Still surprised that inside the R'E'I' store, the only units that could acquire satellites were the eTrex30x, and my 18 year old Garmin GPS12. The Garmin Oregon, GPSMAP64, and Montana were not able to pick up inside R'E'I. Nor was the deLorme. I've crossed off the R'E'I store from my preferred trail list. biggrin.gif
There could be more going on here with the in-store reception. It's a lot faster for a GPS to acquire signal in a low-signal area (like inside a store) if it's had signal recently (something along the lines of in the last few hours, don't know exactly what the time scale is). It's possible that demo GPS had been on for a while before and gotten satellite coverage whereas the other ones you tested hadn't. And I assume your test GPS had likely been used recently? If not throw this idea out the window.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
Cody s

Cody s
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 10:11 am 
Schenk wrote:
Cody S, I have an etrex 30 but haven't had any issues, yet. What sort of trouble have you noticed?
My first etrex 30 was returned because it was having trouble doing simple math, moving avg, elevation gain and loss,ect. The replacement I believe was a newer etrex because it has an optional temperature thing. It work perfect for about a year and now it seems to have a lot of drift. and sometimes records me stopped even if the trackpionts continue to move every couple seconds. Weird or is this normal? and BTW I am very happy with Garmin products

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 10:33 am 
Thanks Cody, Yes, that does sound weird and abnormal. I am sorry to hear you're having trouble. I'll keep an eye on mine and watch for similar symptoms down the line. I did get my hands on a second GPSr, a Montana 650. I really like it and have it loaded with more maps than I will ever need. So far, so good with the Montana. It does chew up batteries so I have switched to NiMH rechargeable batteries.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 11:40 am 
If a GPSR has not recently taken a fix in the area it takes much longer to get connected.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Feb 21, 2017 4:26 pm 
A couple years ago, after years of solid service from my c. 2005 60CSx, I picked up an eTrex 10 for $80. My $80 eTrex 10 GPSr outperforms my old 60CSx in the following ways: -- faster satellite lock -- better reception in trees and canyons -- longer battery life (roughly double) -- lighter weight -- GLONASS enabled (although I rarely use that feature) eTrex 10 has no screen map, which I never used, nor an internal compass, which is a non-issue for me because I always primarily rely on a needle compass and paper map for navigation.

Cody s

Cody s
PostTue Feb 28, 2017 11:11 am 
I think I'm going with the garmin 64 stc which comes with a 100 k topo map, Can I load nwtrails maps over the top of the topo or do I have to choose one or the other?

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Feb 28, 2017 11:47 am 
Cody S, If you are referring to this NWTrails mapset, then yes, it is transparent: http://www.switchbacks.com/nwtrails/

mike

mike
PostTue Feb 28, 2017 1:24 pm 
Cody s wrote:
I think I'm going with the garmin 64 stc which comes with a 100 k topo map, Can I load nwtrails maps over the top of the topo or do I have to choose one or the other?
No point in paying an extra $50 for the pre-loaded 100k. I have the 100k that came with mine and consider it a waste of pesos. Just get the NW Topo from switchbacks instead of NW Trails. and you can get any map that you need at gpsfiledepot Another good source is garmin openstreetmap

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Feb 28, 2017 2:06 pm 
Back in the day before the Garmin format had been hacked I bought the 100k maps. They are pretty useless for hiking. The NW Topo is much better and free.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Cody s

Cody s
PostTue Feb 28, 2017 5:01 pm 
Can I use nw trail and the topo from switchbacks at the same time?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Feb 28, 2017 5:21 pm 
NW trails came first as a transparent overlay that could be used over Garmin format maps. NW topo is NW trails layered over a Garmin format map made from publicly available USGS files. This is the process Garmin used when they converted USGS Tiff files and translated into their proprietary vector format. NW trails over NW topo would be redundant Switchbacks.com produces both.