Forum Index > Photography Talk > mirrorless camera ?s
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
iron

iron
PostThu Jun 30, 2016 12:29 pm 
i'm short on time to do proper research, so i'm hoping someone(s) can clue me in. i sold all my DSLR stuff last year following our trip last summer, thinking that my photography days are dwindling. now, i'm feeling the need for a camera and it seems mirrorless may be / is the way to go. some questions (current info for 2016 cameras appreciated): 1. any models that have good weather sealing approximately equal to DSLRs 2. any models with optical or fake optical viewfinders 3. are they good at high ISO? 4. i assume they have full frame and cropped sensors. huge differences in prices (including lenses) 5. is there a brand that's leading the way in the field? 6. is there a brand or lens that excels at semi-macro (e.g. kids)? 7 anything else i should consider when looking into these? thanks

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jcocci

jcocci
PostThu Jun 30, 2016 2:49 pm 
Hey Iron, Quick answer to some of your questions based on what I own. Also having no idea what you want to spend. I have an Olympus OM-D E-M1. Its a great camera and is their "pro" version body. It os weather sealed and there are a plethora of lens options. The nice thing about Olympus and Panasonic is that their lenses are interchangeable without the need for any adapters. The one thing about mirrorless that will take yo some time to get used to coming from DSLR word is the EVF (electronic Viewfinder), well for cameras that have them, which the E-M1 does. Just different than looking through a DSLR. The Sony mirrorless stuff is also supposed to be really nice and offers full frame, but U have never used them. Another good Olympus option is the OM-D E-M5 MKII. If you want he camera to have good video capabilities I would look at he Panasonic/Lumix line up. I could honestly give a crap about video on my camera so its not a big deal for me. Hope that at least helps a little bit. I sold off all my DSLR stuff and went Micro 4/3 and haven't looked back and glad I made the switch.

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostThu Jun 30, 2016 3:28 pm 
If I were going to have just one camera, and not worry about changing lenses the Sony RX10 III would be my choice. It's gotten rave reviews, esp. the lens which has incredible reach - would be nice for wildlife. Only downsides are the kludgy Sony menus (I live with them) and $$$.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSat Jul 02, 2016 10:16 am 
Quote:
1. any models that have good weather sealing approximately equal to DSLRs
From what I've read weathersealing and durability is one major disadvantage mirrorless cameras tend to have compared to DSLRs. I don't know of any that are particularly good in this area.
Quote:
2. any models with optical or fake optical viewfinders
Sony's full frame line, Fujifilm, and Olympus use digital or optical viewfinders.
Quote:
3. are they good at high ISO?
Some are, the sony A7S and A7S II can just about see in the dark without producing much in the way of noise! Reviews of the A7R II show that it too isn't that shabby when it comes to high ISO performance.
Quote:
4. i assume they have full frame and cropped sensors. huge differences in prices (including lenses)
Sony's still the only brand (other than Leica and Hassleblad) that makes full frame mirrorless cameras. Their first generation of these cameras can be found for between $1000 and $2000. This is comparable to high end M4/3 and APS-C mirrorless cameras. I don't know that much about the lens selection for different systems (I still shoot with a Canon DSLR). It's worth mentioning that Canon is expected to announce a full frame mirrorless camera of its own at Photokina this year. If this transpires and it utilizes a standard Canon lens mount then it will probably be the cheapest system to own when it comes to the available selection of lenses.
Quote:
5. is there a brand that's leading the way in the field?
Sony seems to have the lead at the moment, though other brands are excellent as well.
Quote:
6. is there a brand or lens that excels at semi-macro (e.g. kids)?
That would depend on what lenses are available. One nice thing about mirrorless cameras is that they are apparently easy to adapt to use lenses with different mounts; with the correct adapter you could put a Canon lens on a Sony camera for example (though it won't be quite as good an experience as using the lens with its native mount).

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
iron

iron
PostSat Jul 02, 2016 2:05 pm 
thanks for the comments all. re: sony cameras: i thought when i looked at them a few years ago, thru their EVFs, it allowed a fraction of light to come thru their semi translucent mirror. this, in turn, resulted in really poor ISO performance at anything above ISO 400. am i misremembering?

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSat Jul 02, 2016 3:47 pm 
iron wrote:
re: sony cameras: i thought when i looked at them a few years ago, thru their EVFs, it allowed a fraction of light to come thru their semi translucent mirror. this, in turn, resulted in really poor ISO performance at anything above ISO 400. am i misremembering?
You're thinking of their DSLR's, I'm not sure what their noise performance is or was like. Their new mirrorless cameras apparently have extremely good high ISO performance.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSat Jul 02, 2016 10:59 pm 
just remember, the bigger the sensor, the bigger the patch of light required, which by simple physics means the bigger the lens will be. Bodies can be made tiny for all of them, but the lens grows with the sensor. I like the M4/3 as a good compromise of portability vs image quality. YMMV

friluftsliv
mike

mike
PostSun Jul 03, 2016 11:44 am 
boot up wrote:
I like the M4/3 as a good compromise of portability vs image quality.
ditto.gif

gb

gb
PostWed Jul 06, 2016 8:03 pm 
Iron, I posted my opinions on the thread about 4/3 recommendations for beginners with a link to images. As to high ISO, the EM-1 is supposed to have more noise than the EM-5, EM-5II. That said, for cloudy low light macro I will sometimes shoot ISO 1600 or ISO 5000 to get my speed up to 1/30th second or better at F11 or F16. With the complexity of vegetation the noise makes no difference - I can't see it. Where noise does show up is on a black background, the best example being Astro/landscape. Nonetheless, just using out of camera jpegs (without using RAW) I am generally fine for ISO's up to 2500 and still decent for ISO 3200. Astro is limited in that one can't generally shoot longer than 20 seconds for wide angle and 30 seconds (or less) for ultra wide angle. You need, to get enough definition on the Milky Way (or northern lights), to shoot wide open and boost the ISO. From experience, with the 12-40F2.8 (which is superb lens) I find that I shoot F2.8 for 15-20 seconds (depending on focal length) with an ISO from about 2000-3200 (max). I get, even without using RAW, what for me are very acceptable images. The best lens for astro/landscape in m4/3 is the 8mm F1.8FE, which is still a small, relatively lightweight lens. Because of the light gathering of this lens and it's aperture, I can shoot the MW (and landscape) wide open at F1.8 with an exposure time between 20-30 seconds and an ISO between 1000 and 2000 (really more like 1600). Here, I usually keep to 20 seconds to guarantee pinpoint stars. Noise is minimal. Again, on anything but a black background, the noise from ISO's I mentioned above is not observable without going to extremes.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Jul 06, 2016 11:23 pm 
I don't use a mirrorless, but thought I'd add a caution about any camera you pay significant $ for and use in harsh conditions. I have had 3 Panasonic cameras fail with lenses that "emerge" when turned on. The problem is always dust getting into the thin crack between sections of the telescoping lens case and preventing the lens from fully emerging (or retracting). I doubt the problem is specific to Panasonic. I like the auto-lens-cap feature that I get with this kind of lens, but I think I'll abandon it with my next camera. Some mirrorless have this kind of lens so think about that. It would be much less likely to happen with a conventional lens like you'd have on a DSLR.

nojack

nojack
PostMon Jul 18, 2016 3:05 pm 
The full frame Sony mirrorless (and two manual focus primes) will give you negatives (and prints!) to cherish long after you have aged, and moved to a super light photo rig. Manual focus lenses are much lighter and cheaper. And fun, too! $0.02.

mike

mike
PostMon Jul 18, 2016 6:38 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
Some mirrorless have this kind of lens so think about that. It would be much less likely to happen with a conventional lens like you'd have on a DSLR.
I disagree. Why would they be different than a e.g. canon? The lenses are similar in design to dslr's and a fair bit smaller. My mirrorless µ4:3 is weather/dust sealed both body and lens plus the sensor self-cleans.

mike

mike
PostTue Jul 19, 2016 10:06 am 
Olympus Outlet sale 20% off. Stuff is going fast.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostTue Jul 19, 2016 12:31 pm 
mike wrote:
Olympus Outlet sale 20% off. Stuff is going fast.
Is "reconditioned" just a different term for "refurbished"? I'm interested in getting the TG-4 waterproof camera, and this would be a good opportunity to pick it up at a steep discount.

trestle

trestle
PostTue Jul 19, 2016 5:04 pm 
Sounds more like reconditioned than refurbished. Reading this closely, it doesn't appear anything more than an inspection is done.
Quote:
Olympus Certified Reconditioned Product is defined as any product that has been returned by our retail partners. Once the product is returned, Olympus conducts a rigorous five-point inspection of all product functions and features to ensure that the item meets our quality standards. Your product will function identically to a brand-new Olympus product, however it is possible for a refurbished product to have a minor blemish on the surface. We support certified reconditioned products with a 90-day repair warranty and 30-day money back guarantee excluding the cost of shipping.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode