Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Is stealing the new social norm?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostSat Jul 09, 2016 6:16 am 
Is stealing the new social norm? Should we expect people to take our stuff if it's not hidden from their view? If we are dumb enough to leave valuables in plain site while workers are in the house, the new social norm is to take it?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Jul 09, 2016 7:13 am 
As a former chicken thief and now pillar of the community, I lock up everything. When stashing gear in the woods I like it well hidden. What does seem to be a new social norm is tagging the sh## out of everything. Lookouts, Govt signs, rocks, whatever.

Alpine Pedestrian

Alpine Pedestrian
PostSat Jul 09, 2016 8:17 am 
Chicken thief? There's an interesting story there.

Badger

Badger
PostSat Jul 09, 2016 9:16 am 
Does Hijacking this thread count... clown.gif

trestle

trestle
PostSat Jul 09, 2016 9:21 am 
To answer the question.....YES....it is a new social norm, as best exemplified by our elected leaders, both sides of the aisle. In fact there's probably some alphabet-acronym group out there lobbying right now to defend your right to steal whatever is left in plain sight. paranoid.gif

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSat Jul 09, 2016 9:54 am 
I think the blame for increased theft lies on the collapse of the middle class, the growing disparity between the rich and the poor, and an increasing population. Essentially, the problem is the growing prevalence of capitalistic ideology where material wealth is held in higher regard than anything else. If gaining material wealth is the greatest thing one can achieve than it follows that theft would become morally more acceptable in our society. However, I don't think our culture is so desperately depraved as yet. If one loses an item of value there is a good chance that whoever picks it up may seek the owner. A tent left unattended in a campground will almost certainly remain undisturbed if left all day long. We are not yet at the point where we must fear that anything not nailed down, locked away, or under our watchfull gaze will be stolen. Good honest folk are still in the majority, and morally bankrupt scum are but a loathsome minority. Yes, it is a slippery slope that our society is traversing, but hopefully in time if capitalism and population growth are put in check we may reach firmer ground.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostSat Jul 09, 2016 10:43 am 
I was referring to workers in the house. Seems to me that leaving the house with workers inside is now a thing of the past. My neighbor framed it as a choice we have to make if we have careers, either the convenience of not taking time form work to sit home and monitor the workers versus the risk of leaving workers in the house and having stuff taken.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Jul 09, 2016 3:54 pm 
I believe that the increase in theft is due to wide spread drug addition.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jul 09, 2016 4:07 pm 
In 1975 we had our cafe broken into at Eight miles trailhead. Crime rates are actually lower now than they have been in decades. The idea that you can leave gear lying around and have it unmolested is a delusion and always has been.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Jul 09, 2016 4:55 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
In 1975 we had our cafe broken into at Eight miles trailhead.
I hate it when my trail head cafes are broken into by hungry, thieving bastards. embarassedlaugh.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Jul 09, 2016 5:22 pm 
My brother had his vehicle stolen from the Icicle TH back in the late 1970's. My wife and I used our packs as a pillow while we waited for him to go fetch another brother to come rescue us.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Jul 09, 2016 5:23 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Crime rates are actually lower now than they have been in decades.
I know this is true of violent crime, but not so sure about property crimes. Too lazy to go look up any statistics though. There has never been a time in my life when I would have felt comfortable letting strangers wander around in my house while I wasn't there. OTOH, that's what insurance is for.

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostSat Jul 09, 2016 6:11 pm 
Yep, now I feel dumb dumb dumb! I need a prize for being the dumbest most trusting naive person on the planet. bawl.gif

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jul 09, 2016 6:29 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
Crime rates are actually lower now than they have been in decades.
I know this is true of violent crime, but not so sure about property crimes. Too lazy to go look up any statistics though. There has never been a time in my life when I would have felt comfortable letting strangers wander around in my house while I wasn't there. OTOH, that's what insurance is for.
Property crime rates are lower now as well https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jul 09, 2016 6:35 pm 
Teabag wrote:
If we are dumb enough to leave valuables in plain site while workers are in the house, the new social norm is to take it?
FWIW in the 1960' in Chicago , my wife's childhood home had a fire, my mother in laws jewelry box was liberated of most of its contents by the fire crew.