Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Is stealing the new social norm?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jul 14, 2016 12:59 pm 
RichP wrote:
I did see a jacked up pickup in Cle Elum this week flying a confederate flag with the word REDNECK printed on it. A real redneck wouldn't do that.
Yes -- that guy was probably an ex-msft millionaire with a college degree from the ivy league, about as far from a redneck as this guy is from a cowboy

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Jul 14, 2016 1:40 pm 
Schenk wrote:
]To me people that are resourceful, self sufficient, do most things for themselves, have honest friends, are honest themselves, don't feel entitled to the fruits of other people's labors, aren't afraid of hard work, have good wholesome values, respects others, and believe in the Deity Who Shall not be Mentioned in the presence of Atheists for fear of offending them, are rednecks.
Then, other than the "in other peoples face" Deity BS, I'm a redneck. And so are all my liberal friends.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostThu Jul 14, 2016 3:05 pm 
Schenk wrote:
I am not sure of how confident anyone can be in any conclusions drawn from crime "statistics" because it is obvious crime "statistics" depend upon crime "reporting" and crime reporting is incomplete at best.
True, but we do the best we can with what we've got. The National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS) collects information on nonfatal crimes, reported and not reported to the police, against persons age 12 or older from a nationally representative sample of U.S. households. This is not the same as the FBI Uniform Crime Report which is based on crimes reported by law enforcement agencies. The most recent report is based on 2014 numbers.
  • The rate of simple assault declined from 15.8 victimizations per 1,000 persons in 2013 to 12.4 per 1,000 in 2014. The violent crime rate for persons ages 12 to 17 declined from 52.1 victimizations per 1,000 in 2013 to 30.1 in 2014. In 2014, 11 percent of violent crime victims received assistance from a victim service agency, which was similar to the percentage that received assistance in 2013. More than a quarter (28 percent) of intimate partner violence victims received assistance from a victim service agency. From 2013 to 2014, there were no significant changes in rates of violent crime across urban, suburban and rural areas.

WANative

WANative
PostThu Jul 14, 2016 11:00 pm 
All crime is way down, it just doesn't seem that way when you get robbed. I credit video games and the Internet for the reduction.

WANative

WANative
PostThu Jul 14, 2016 11:05 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
All I know is that shoplifting, at least in the store in Marysville where I work has increased exponentially...no I don't have statistics, I just know it to be true and I also know that it's due to the increase in drug addition. But whatever, choose to believe what you want.
Overall it's down I think but with random spikes in areas due to generational cycling of drug addiction.

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostWed Aug 17, 2016 5:04 pm 
Its taken me 5+ weeks to stop feeling pissed off at myself for leaving the house with $700 in plain view while my granite countertops were being refinished. The two person crew showed up and told me that they needed 6 hours to do the work. I wasn't expecting that they would need 6 hours, I had expected the work to take 2 hours and then I would go to work. So being flustered about this new timeline I left the house to take the dogs on a long walk. They and money was gone by the time I returned. Yep, dumb, dumb, dumb, and it only took them 2 hours to do the work! Not only will I never leave workers in the house again, I will also make sure that I'm not alone in the house when people show up to do work. Definitely learned the hard way. My original question about whether this is the new social norm pertains to this probably being perceived by many as my fault as one should "expect" money to be taken if its in plain view.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Aug 17, 2016 9:15 pm 
maybe this is a stupid question, but why don't you just make contact with the "two workers" and get your money back?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Aug 17, 2016 10:26 pm 
That answer is easy...thieves are also liars, so why bother.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Aug 17, 2016 10:41 pm 
phone number and LKA is all that's needed. my rate is 50% of what I collect.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Aug 17, 2016 11:29 pm 
At least report them to the Better Business Bureau or some kind of online business review or something. Get the word out there that these guys ripped you off, might cost them some work in the future.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Aug 18, 2016 9:50 am 
Ski wrote:
phone number and LKA is all that's needed. my rate is 50% of what I collect.
If no one saw then do it, there's no way to prove that they did it and the chances of them admitting to it are virtually nil. Report them? Without proof that seems like a bad idea. I am assuming that the owner left the house unlocked when he walked the dogs, so they can always say someone else could have had the opportunity.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Aug 18, 2016 10:06 am 
Ski wrote:
maybe this is a stupid question, but why don't you just make contact with the "two workers" and get your money back?
Did he hire these guys directly or through someone else? If the later -- seems like contacting the general or supplier would be the most effective way of applying pressure. Also the state maintains a list of licensed contractors and has a way of registering complaints and disbarring contractors. https://secure.lni.wa.gov/verify/

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Aug 18, 2016 10:30 am 
They probably thought it was a tip...I mean who leaves 700 bucks just laying around in plain sight? Maybe one of the dogs took it, they definitely had the opportunity.

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSat Aug 27, 2016 12:21 am 
I wander through the homes of millionaires and paupers - I go anywhere I need to and touch nothing that isn't mine. The strange this is that everyone has the same stuff - rich people just have less of it and it's higher quality. Being in my line of work is kind of like being a lawyer or doctor - I see things that can't be mentioned, and discretion earns repeat customers and a good reputation. smile.gif

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Aug 27, 2016 11:05 am 
Well now you got me curious... What do you do, kbatku?