Forum Index > Trip Reports > The 3 Hour Plan, 37 peaks, June/July of 2016
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostThu Jul 14, 2016 10:02 pm 
up.gif up.gif It's so nice to see you two enjoy your trips! You are going to run out of mountains pretty soon. I hope you have a plan for that wink.gif.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri Jul 15, 2016 8:31 am 
Now that's the way to deal with Junuary! Gimpilator wrote: "We took the lower trail [to Mount Eddy] below the PCT through some marshy meadows." That's the ticket. The lower trail starts at the single switchback west of the PCT saddle on faint tread, then becomes obvious beyond the marsh. The lower trail is one of the best botanical hikes in North America, while the parallel PCT is through drab manzanita chapparal. If you catch it just right (not easy because "just right" can vary by a month), you hike along Darlingtonia bogs in full bloom. There are lady-slipper orchids, true wild chives (widespread but rarely seen in western mountains), and many brightly colored serpentine endemics. The lake basin and summit climb are also quite scenic.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Jul 15, 2016 9:01 am 
Wow, what a peak bagging extravaganza! Looks like you got to enjoy some beautiful and varied terrain on your trip.

pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostSun Jul 17, 2016 4:58 pm 
You two are from another planet! Glad to see you're both enjoying your stay here on planet Earth.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostMon Jul 18, 2016 8:08 am 
Bryan K wrote:
Before you know it you'll be over here in Ohio bagging hills since you'll run out of stuff in the west lol.gif
I think we'll move south before we move east.
Brushbuffalo wrote:
Time for a mountain truck or SUV, Adam? biggrin.gif
Yes! The roads in Washington are fairly benign, but there's a lot we want to do in CO, CA, NV that would justify the purchase of a truck, so Heather and I had talked extensively about that.
puzzlr wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to post all that here. It's really fun to follow along on your adventures. You both look like you're having the time of your lives.
Thanks Monty. We truly are.
mbravenboer wrote:
You are going to run out of mountains pretty soon. I hope you have a plan for that wink.gif.
lol.gif Thank goodness we don't have to worry about running out. Time will tell if peakbagging is just a temporary fixation for Heather, but I'm afraid it's chronic for me. She's a much more balanced person and knows how to enjoy other things like running and hiking without summits.
Sculpin wrote:
That's the ticket. The lower trail starts at the single switchback west of the PCT saddle on faint tread, then becomes obvious beyond the marsh. The lower trail is one of the best botanical hikes in North America, while the parallel PCT is through drab manzanita chapparal. If you catch it just right (not easy because "just right" can vary by a month), you hike along Darlingtonia bogs in full bloom. There are lady-slipper orchids, true wild chives (widespread but rarely seen in western mountains), and many brightly colored serpentine endemics
At first I feared that the trail was totally overgrown, but we found it again on the far side of the marsh. And we saw those! I didn't know the name at the time, Darlingtonia bogs and lady-slipper orchids, but we took photos of these rare plants. It felt like a special place and we lingered there briefly. I didn't include any of the plant photos because we have so many photos, it was tough to be selective. Thanks for the identification.
pimaCanyon wrote:
You two are from another planet! Glad to see you're both enjoying your stay here on planet Earth.
rotf.gif

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSat Nov 05, 2016 5:15 pm 
Anish wrote:
interesting rock formations...here's looking to you Brushbuffalo...
interesting rock formations...here's looking to you Brushbuffalo...
Anish, I just now saw this while catching up on TRs. That looks like gneiss that has been intricately folded. Pretty rock. I would love to have a big chunk of it!

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
mustang sal

mustang sal
PostMon Nov 07, 2016 9:48 pm 
It looks like these are all walk-ups with some minor scrambling?

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostThu Nov 10, 2016 5:10 pm 
Well, I wouldn't call Thielsen "minor scrambling", but for the most part, other than that one peak, yes.

ree

ree
PostTue Nov 15, 2016 3:56 pm 
Hey you've given me a wealth of ideas in NV... Thanks. And nice to meet you and Heather at the 100 Highest Party. Any anarchists or militarized Libertarians out at Jarbidge? lol.gif