Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Suntop Patrol Point aka Buck Creek Firefinder
Previous :: Next Topic  
Eric Willhite

Eric Willhite
PostSat Jul 16, 2016 9:15 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
The Kresek Lookout Inventory says that Suntop Lookout had a patrol point as part of its use, located 1.5 miles south. The Spring/Fish book gave it the name Buck Creek Firefinder. I was uncertain of this location until visiting the Seattle National Archives over the winter, looking at the Osborne Photo Survey panoramics. I found a golden nugget there to locate it.  Suntop had the standard 3 panoramics taken in 1934 along with 2 supplement panoramas.  Using Google Earth, I figured out one of these supplements was taken from a highpoint 1.5 miles south of Suntop. I would suspect this image is highly likely taken from the patrol point, where a firefinder was said to be located.

Friday my son and I made a quick trip to the area to check it out.  BUCK CREEK FIREFINDER TRIP REPORT

We also drove up to the fire lookout since it had been some time since my last visit.  I've updated the Suntop page with more historic photos HERE

This hike can continue a short distance further with a minor scramble up "South Suntop"  I did it several years ago, here is the trip report: HERE

The Golden Nugget
The Golden Nugget
Location Map
Location Map

--------------
Taking a break from peakbagging to do some lookout bagging.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Jul 16, 2016 9:33 pm 
Eric you are a master of research and detective work! I thoroughly enjoy your reports about lookouts and former sites.  up.gif
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Eric Willhite

Eric Willhite
PostSun Jul 17, 2016 12:08 am 
Magellan wrote:
you are a master of research and detective work!

Thanks, I'm working toward the DB Cooper case. paranoid.gif

--------------
HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostFri Oct 28, 2016 1:53 pm 
Eric,

Regarding the metal plate with CSHAB, I can enlighten you:
Camp Sheppard High Adventure Base was a scout adventure program that ran out of Camp Sheppard Boy Scout camp from the 70's until just a few years ago.  Before it ran afoul of the USFS (they insisted the program get a Outfitters and Guides Permit, even though the program was led by youth leaders with a few adult advisors), the program taught mountain climbing, mountain biking, orienteering, and other really challenging activities.

The metal plate was part of the "Ranger Challenge" -- an extremely hard, orienteering route that ran all over the upper White River valley-- as I remember it started over by Crystal Mountain, ran down and across the river by the airfield, up to Buck Mountain and Suntop, then back across the valley and into the Greenwater drainage, then up to Corral Pass and Noble Knob then finally down to the camp.  Mostly cross country routes and very little trail options, "extremely hard" may not adequately describe it.  BUT we were studs back in those days and not deterred by lack of trails, 75 lb packs (carried watermelons to the top of Mt. Baker once), etc...
Eric Willhite

Eric Willhite
PostFri Oct 28, 2016 4:05 pm 
up.gif  up.gif  up.gif Love it.  I was starting to think it marked a location someone placed some human or dog ashes.

--------------
HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostTue Nov 01, 2016 10:25 am 
If I can find the old "Ranger Challenge" I'll see if I can post it here... It could be fun for folks who are bored with just hiking on trails (hint: there is a lot of off trail travel required for this baby....)...

If someone does the Challenge,  I'll meet you at the Naches Tavern to hear how it went (another hint: I won't be doing it again..)

Cheers!
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSun Nov 13, 2016 1:57 pm 
HikerJohn wrote:
BUT we were studs back in those days and not deterred by lack of trails, 75 lb packs..

I WAS AT camp Sheppard a few summers in the late '60's and one camp was for survival training taught by (I WAS TOLD) guys from JBLM. US AIR Force. One exercise was to hike along highway 410 with 50lb packs filled with rocks. They weighed the packs. One kid started to cry because of the weight. So I packed some of his rocks to complete the mission without any of his tears. I was the leader of that group and I got in a lot of trouble for helping the crying kid. I guess I was supposed to leave the crybaby out there alone with his heavy pack. I graduated the Camp. The kid got kicked out. Survival of the fittest.

Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Suntop Patrol Point aka Buck Creek Firefinder
  Happy Birthday Mr. Cleanhead!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: