Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Lichen May Be More Interesting
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostFri Jul 22, 2016 12:35 am 
Lichen may be a combination of algae, fungi, And a yeast, according to an article in Science. http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/technology/lichen-yeast-1.3689468 It is a core charecteristic of science that it is never done. I like that.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gb

gb
PostFri Jul 22, 2016 7:08 am 
Thank you for that article. I participate in Nature programs with Seattle Parks and the Mountaineers. It is always interesting to get new information.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Jul 22, 2016 9:38 am 
Lots of angst in the bryophyte community no doubt - all those years living a lie. The psychiactric (sp) field should experience an uptick. And new textbooks. It's pretty amazing (and I don't use this word lightly, i.e. to describe Facebook photos of "noms" rolleyes.gif and views from Si) that something so tiny yet so huge is so recently discovered. Makes you wonder, "what's next!"

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostFri Jul 22, 2016 11:38 am 
up.gif up.gif Amazing!

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Aug 15, 2016 10:01 am 
Science is full of fascinating stories of scientists behaving unscientifically, stubbornly adhering to erroneous traditional ideas in the face of strong evidence for contradictory new ones. Ignaz Semmelweiss Long before Pasteur and Lister established the germ theory of infection, Semmelwiess collected beautifully sound data showing that childbed fever in maternity wards could be reduced 10-35x by simple handwashing by doctors. For this, he was essentially hounded out of the profession. Millard, Destiny of the Republic recounts similarly incredulous behavior by American doctors during their lethal treatment of President Garfield (recommended read). "To believe this, we would have to imagine that we are living in a sea of invisible 'germs'!" Alfred Wegener; continental drift Sound evidence for continental drift from about 6 independent lines of observation, ignored in the absence of a plausible mechanism. The scary thing: we ALL behave this way, almost willfully oblivious to things right under our noses. What idiocies do I myself believe, despite "obvious" contrary evidence? I almost don't wanna know about it....

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Aug 21, 2016 11:49 am 
All of us older people looked at South America and Africa, and Madagascar and Africa and noted they fit. This is a fully modern discovery. It needed cheap DNA testing to attract attention to an apparent anomaly.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!