Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Seattle Times: USFS ignored rules and need in fireline
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Jul 25, 2016 9:50 pm 
I don't know this area and have no connection with Lynda Mapes but I want to balance out some comments with my perspective. Every time she's written a story about an area or issue I do know about it's been accurate and balanced. She's been following and writing about environmental issues in this part of the state for a long time, and in my experience hasn't written in a sensationalist style.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jul 25, 2016 10:03 pm 
Ski wrote:
Where's this big monstrous "clear cut" that was supposedly cut?
It has been my actual experience that lay people do not want to get off roads and walk through what is usually ground strewn with slash. They don't even show up with boots on. When you offer to lead them down into a logging unit, they refuse. Some of the 'ologists are that way also. Oh, and a few have no interest in learning what harvesting timber actually entails, yet they are on a planning team, planning for something that they have no understanding of. I suspect that is the case in this incident. I'm betting that the "clear cut" was the landing--the area where the logs were decked. I've had that happen too--A complaint and accusation that clearcutting was happening, and it was a landing. It was located where a landing had previously been built, was where scrubby alder were growing, and was on the larger size because multiple yarder settings were used. That saved some additional road building and the results still met the best management practices. The landing shown is quite a bit larger than a normal landing would be but it had to be because the logs had to be stored somewhere so they could be sold at a later time. Landing sizes for conventional logging are usually kept to a quarter acre or smaller. Note the word usually. In a normal operation, trucks are hauling the wood at the same time it is being brought in so decks don't get more than a load or two in size. Landings also may be bigger in order to pile slash if a processor is used to delimb and buck the trees on the landing. Hundred foot slash piles are fun to burn during the late fall or winter, when a good bit of snow is on the ground. The bad thing is that they are too hot to get close enough to make s'mores. smile.gif We live in a time of gross exaggeration. Innocent people get hurt because of all the drama that can instantly be spread to the gullible masses.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jul 26, 2016 6:56 am 
Ski, while folks claim helicopter logging is environmentally friendly, it isn't as far as landing size goes. They have to have lots of room and the rule of thumb is an acre. They usually have a mechanic and truck, a fuel truck, which has to have an oil spill containment plan, room for a loader to operate that is not under the helicopter, and the usual other stuff. Or, they can have a couple or more slightly smaller landings, with one totally dedicated to servicing the helicopter. The crews travel like gypsies. Oh, add to the landing a camper or trailer for at least one person to stay in because they have to have security 24 hours. Things look crazy on those landings when they are flying.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
trestle

trestle
PostTue Jul 26, 2016 12:32 pm 
Quote:
Lynda Mapes .... written a story about an area or issue I do know about it's been accurate and balanced
This was not a balanced article. There was very little factual evidence in the article, just a regurgitating of a lot of hurt feelings. Too much emotion, not enough facts, to be a balanced article. I kept waiting to see pics of this devastating fire line or all the wetland impacts but there weren't any. Without firsthand evidence, it's hard to believe the quotes from people who clearly had a different agenda than property-loss prevention.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jul 28, 2016 5:50 am 
Perhaps more dog and pony shows (field trips) like this should occur? I'm assuming that science reporters might go. http://www.nrtoday.com/news/environment/state-officials-tour-forests-with-blm-timber-companies/article_c322f44f-4739-5697-8e57-6d463b2d7a5f.html

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 28, 2016 8:48 am 
^ too much trouble to go out in the field and get facts. way easier to learn about forest management reading Harvey Manning trail guide books and Henry David Thoreau. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
WANative

WANative
PostThu Aug 25, 2016 2:23 pm 
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/lawsuit-over-fireline-seeks-to-curb-forest-firefighting-tactics/
Quote:
The rush by the U.S. Forest Service to cut a fireline through critical fish and wildlife habitat to fight a fire that never came anywhere near has spurred a lawsuit in federal court. Forest Service Employees for Environmental Ethics (FSEEE), a Eugene, Ore.-based nonprofit, filed the lawsuit last week in U.S. District Court in Spokane. It seeks to rescind a 2008 regulation that allows the Forest Service to suspend all environmental laws when it fights fire, if fire managers declare a state of emergency.

Chico

Chico
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 11:15 pm 
SKS

SKS
PostSat Jul 29, 2017 11:50 am 
That's good news! A fire in central Montana just burned approx 40 square miles because it wasn't fought when it initially started. It started in a "proposed" wilderness area that was proposed in the 70's and has been in limbo since then. The fire was allowed to burn until it went out of control from dry conditions and wind. Around 300,000 acres burned. Houses and other ranch structures, equipment, cattle, wildlife, fences, pasture, haystacks, power lines destroyed.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat Jul 29, 2017 2:04 pm 
edeezy wrote:
Ski wrote:
Exactly what are author Lynda V. Mapes' credentials in silviculture and forest management?
She's a science reporter? She's a great reporter, won several awards for her coverage of the Elwha dam removals. This is a pretty balanced take. I don't know why people are worked up about it like it's some baseless attack on the Forest Service, it reports on the controversy around the project while acknowledging all of the factors that went into the decision.
puzzlr wrote:
I don't know this area and have no connection with Lynda Mapes but I want to balance out some comments with my perspective. Every time she's written a story about an area or issue I do know about it's been accurate and balanced. She's been following and writing about environmental issues in this part of the state for a long time, and in my experience hasn't written in a sensationalist style.
I will also vouch for Lynda Mapes thorough and balanced reporter credentials. I will add I worked with her at The Seattle Times and know her as a scrupulous reporter and all-around nice person. Personally I trust her judgement more than any members on this site. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Jul 30, 2017 6:20 am 
Reporters studied journalism. That means most do not understand about complex forest issues that they are trying to write about. Add to that the fact that government employees are involved and are not supposed to comment without the approval of their Public Info person. Their PI person is most likely from a liberal arts background and of little experience doing on the ground work. So you've got a reporter labeled as the science reporter writing on a topic that they really don't understand, maybe with some help from another non-expert who may have gone to a few days of training. Then there are people with an agenda trying to make a buck through a law suit who can spout off about anything. Glad they lost! up.gif Fires do not know about NEPA and go into places no matter what the management plan is.

Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostSun Jul 30, 2017 10:01 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Reporters studied journalism. That means most do not understand about complex forest issues that they are trying to write about.
Mapes has some forestry chops. She was a 2014-15 Harvard University Bullard Fellow in Forest Research. She spent the year "taking a deep, long look at one tree: a 100-year-old red oak." How that applies to PNW forestry issues, I'm not sure.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Jul 30, 2017 10:33 am 
The size of the fireline cut (which is the subject of the story that generated this thread) was 114 acres. This morning at 09:32 PDT another nwhikers member reported that the fire in the Pasayten Wilderness is now at 5005 acres. 114 acres is about 2.2% of the 5005 acres now going up in smoke in the Pasayten, which several members here are bemoaning as the loss of one of their favorite areas. Somebody, somewhere, made a decision to cut a fire line and mow down 114 acres of trees, in an attempt to contain another fire. Apparently it was a bad call - the guy didn't have his magic crystal ball that day, or maybe his Ouija board wasn't working properly. 114 acres cut. At least the timber went to a mill and got put to use. 5005 acres = up in smoke. Not good for nothing to nobody. Which would you really rather have? Get over it already.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Jul 30, 2017 11:11 am 
Micro management and armchair quarterbacking are rampant these days. You gotta be on a big fire to get a clue.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Jul 30, 2017 11:24 am 
^ Somewhere here in another thread (probably several years ago) I noted that the best fireline was a clearcut. I don't think there's many here who like seeing vast swaths of forest land go up in smoke. From the comments in some recent trip reports, it doesn't sound as though hiking through the areas burned during some of the recent fires is a lot of fun - it certainly wouldn't be my idea of the "ideal hike", anyway. The notion of "letting nature take its own course" sounds all fine and well in concept, but on the ground "letting nature take its own course" means that the process of natural fire regime cycles is going to kick into gear and lots of trees are going to get burned. It pretty much comes down to a choice of "manage" (either by thinning, clearcutting, or prescribed burning) or sit back and watch it burn. Over half of the U.S. Forest Service's budget is now eaten up fighting wildfires. Bear that in mind next time that favorite trail hasn't been cleared, or that bridge hasn't gotten fixed, or that road to the trailhead is washed out. You can't have it both ways. Understandably, in designated wilderness areas (such as the Pasayten) we're not going to be doing any "management", so inevitably those areas will at some point burn. It is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when. It will all burn at some point, even in the rainforest.