Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Seattle Times: USFS ignored rules and need in fireline
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Jul 30, 2017 11:35 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Reporters studied journalism. That means most do not understand about complex forest issues that they are trying to write about.
That statement is dripping in irony. I am constantly amazed at the utterly ridiculous statements made concerning journalism like the one above. The self-appointed forestry overlord of NWHikers.net also wants us to believe she is an expert on journalism as well. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSun Jul 30, 2017 1:11 pm 
Studying journalism means the study of writing skills and how to convey complex topics to the reading public. Good grief, tw, how on earth do you interpret that to mean a writer does NOT know what they are writing about???? What it DOES mean is you can communicate well on topics you may perhaps be an EXPERT on or have LEARNED a lot about.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Aug 06, 2017 2:51 pm 
Someone questioning the professionalism, experience, and expertise of Linda Mapes????? < click for a list of what she has written for the times. Here is her is her biography and see the list of books and other accomplishments on her website. She extensively interviews locals and respects their opinions.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN
PostWed Aug 09, 2017 12:17 am 
Dalekz wrote:
When I was travelling over Stevens Pass for hikes 7/8 & 7/13 there were a lot of full log trucks heading westbound (didn't count but think at least 20-30). The must have been going to the Everett mill. Wonder if they were from this.
All kinds of places get logged all the time breh

Chico

Chico
PostWed Aug 09, 2017 12:39 pm 
Ski wrote:
Somewhere here in another thread (probably several years ago) I noted that the best fireline was a clearcut.
Not really since they tend to have a lot of slash on the ground which kind of tends to catch fire. Bare earth or water are best. One reason for using dozers to cut a swath. With a clearcut the fire can't crown but sparks go where they want to. If they get in slash then you still have to put it out. Will slow the spread certainly. And if you have retardant on it so much the better. Around fruit country (Wenatchee for example) the best fireline is an orchard. Sadly those are getting cut down and replaced with houses.

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN
PostTue Aug 15, 2017 10:43 pm 
Just napalm the forests in the dead of winter this year. Things should work out.