Forum Index > Trip Reports > Kloochman Rock, Olympics 07.26.2016
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostTue Jul 26, 2016 10:13 pm 
what a long drive for a very short hike/rope climb on Kloochman Rock today with husband, Mark. he used to land on the helipad via helicopter when he worked for olympic national park. the short hike to the helipad is steep, then an unnerving climb with one or two ropes at a time. talk about exposure! yikes! fabulous views, especially the back side of mt. olympus!! this is a photo taken from a helicopter ... Mark and i hiked up up up the steep trail through the trees and then a rope climb as seen in the photo
photos from today's adventure!
helipad as seen from trail
helipad as seen from trail
mark below the platform
mark below the platform
photos of Mark climbing
Mt. Olympus ... her other side tongue.gif
these photos are for Ski
Queets River
Queets River
other peaks
got my gloves on and ready to get off Kloochman Rock
down climbing on the ropes of Kloochman Rock ... yipppppeeee
that's it!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jul 26, 2016 10:39 pm 
pretty awesome view of the Olympus Massif from up there, eh? wink.gif how far were you able to drive on the approach? clear up to that last landing on the last spur? that hemlock is probably easier to wade through now... last time I was up there was 20 years ago and it was a thicket from the road up maybe 300-400 yards and then thinned out. who hung the ropes? those weren't there last time I climbed up the north side - I did fingers and toes (with a full pack.) first time I went up (1971) there was still pieces of a wooden ladder - spooky! probably not a splinter of it remaining. up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Lotus54

Lotus54
PostWed Jul 27, 2016 8:14 am 
Yes, all way to the old landing. That has grown in a LOT- we used to land the 500 there all the time. The route is super easy to find now, looks to me the fire guys did a bunch of work on it last year. The ropes where there early. 90's when Duck & I re-anchored the platform and replaced the leg. At least that is my memory. We stayed at the landing several days when working on it, helicoptered the Poinjär, parts, glue, drills, ropes etc. but we walked back and forth. The 'ladder' was still there a few years ago- nothing there at all now. Someone probably pitched it over the side. They removed the railing also- probably so they could land larger helicopters on it. (Although I don't think that is very smart) Years ago Bud would just drop me off, then go sit at the landing. He didn't like shutting down/starting on the platform. Probably not a bad idea. Didn't seem to bother Jess at all. Mark

graywolf

graywolf
PostWed Jul 27, 2016 8:58 am 
Great photos Bobbi! God, the Queets valley is so beautiful! The photo of the Olympus massif is great - interesting looking at it from the "backside". Didn't one of our NWH members ski that side? Jason Hummel? Be interesting to dig up his photos to see how much things have changed.

The only easy day was yesterday...
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Jul 28, 2016 7:36 am 
this is the traverse Jason did on skis. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8020874&highlight= looks like he didn't ski the backside (south) of olympus

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss