Forum Index > Gear Talk > Backpacking guitar?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostWed Aug 03, 2016 1:11 pm 
I've always wanted to be able to take a guitar with me on overnight trips. I've been interested in this one recently: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002IL37Y/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8 Does anyone have experience with this guitar? Is it at all feasible to take on overnighters without being too much of a hassle?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bk

bk
PostWed Aug 03, 2016 3:06 pm 
Never seen it before. Very interesting. Mixed reviews. Calling around, salesperson at American Music in Seattle says it's total garbage and stopped selling once Martin came out with the 3/4 version. (Garbage because it twirls in your lap and you can't get a grip on it, so must use a strap.) Dusty Strings is a little more even about it. They carry them and have them in stock, so you could check it out. Again, any worthy test-drive would require wearing a strap. Others have recommended a uke . . . but that's completely different. (And others recommend a 3/4-size or a Taylor baby [never heard of it].) The Martin looks like it's worth an in-store test-drive, for sure, as it sounds like the only one with full-size fret spacing and a smaller body profile. Even though the sound is not concert quality (e.g. bad?), if the goal is to stick with the full-size fretting and smaller body profile, the store guys say it's the only one that fits that criteria (despite it not selling, per American Music guy).

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Aug 03, 2016 3:14 pm 
A co-worker of mine got a Carbon-Fiber to have in his office so he could play while waiting for a "Build". Carbon-Fiber guitars are unaffected by moisture -- which for his intended use -- playing in a climate controlled and very low humidity of a corporate office environment was useful. Wooden guitars he had used for this purpose had dried out, needed constant re-tuning and to be taken home periodically to avoid cracking. For hiking in the often quite damp PNW conditions -- moisture resistance seems like a useful feature. Not for the light of wallet I'm afraid.

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostWed Aug 03, 2016 3:18 pm 
BK: I've played around with 3/4 guitars before, but they still just seem much too big and bulky to be able to feasibly take backpacking. I'm not really concerned with sound quality as long as it's very portable. Dusty Strings is within walking distance of where I live, so I will have to head down there soon and check it out! As for ukes...they are fun for a bit but obviously much more limited than a guitar. Still much better than nothing I guess. This could be a good option if the backpacker doesn't end up working out. Thanks for the helpful info! Randy: That looks very interesting but pretty firmly out of my price range. Maybe some day. That's a good point about the moisture being a potential issue though - I wonder how the Martin backpacker would fare.

bk

bk
PostWed Aug 03, 2016 4:00 pm 
In the category of humidity-resistant: Jeremy at American Music (in Seattle) said Martin has some composites (of basically pressed sawdust; not carbon fiber) that are 100% humidity resistant . . . in the $329 to $349 range . . . which he described as "lower pricing", possible because of it being, essentially, pressed sawdust. Sounded interesting . . . but not sure of the sizes. Jeremy said the Martin naming scheme is: LX1 = anything with a "1" in it is a solid top (wood; not composite . . . and affected by humidity). If no "1", then it is a composite (pressed sawdust): LX LXM LXBlack (variations on a theme, for the same, basic guitar; all composites). Other discussion on humidity resistant guitars: http://www.guitarforums.com/showthread.php?t=34091 (Interesting aubrey64 mentions having the Martin Backpacker (among others) and never plays it.) Jeremy did mention moisture-resistance as being key to a backpacking guitar. Makes sense.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Aug 03, 2016 4:02 pm 
guitar! bah! break the mold, man, get one of these! up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
bk

bk
PostWed Aug 03, 2016 4:11 pm 
Awesome and amazing, Ski. Available for $198: https://www.amazon.com/Shamisen-bachi-Japanese-string-instrument/dp/B00LDF9OA8 Looks portable. Moisture resistant? Durable when hit by tree branches?

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostWed Aug 03, 2016 6:21 pm 
I have one of these. Pretty decent sound for the size, but the shape means you have to use a strap to play it. Can't rest it on your lap, but if you can play guitar worth a lick you should be able to play using a strap just fine so it's not been a big deal to me. The big deal is just the weight and bulk... I used to take the guitar backpacking all the time back when I didn't really care if my pack was 35 pounds or 55 pounds or whatever. It's bulky too, strapping it to the side of the pack creates an unbalanced load and the guitar neck sticks up really high. I'd usually just pack it horizontally, but then it sticks out the sides pretty far too so you just have to be aware it's there and not bash it into a tree or something. It's been about eight years since I've brought it along on a trip but I'd be open to taking it again with the right trip and the right situation.

SlingShot
Slingshot

SlingShot
Slingshot
PostWed Aug 03, 2016 7:08 pm 
I have been thinking about this as well. After looking at many backpacker friendly guitars I still have not gotten one. A few days ago I came across Traveler Guitar web site. I may be owning one soon.

Take only photo's. Leave only foot prints. Waste only time. John Muir http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogntallgrass/ https://www.facebook.com/marc.mallang
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Aug 03, 2016 9:05 pm 
bk, regarding the shamisen wrote:
Looks portable. Moisture resistant? Durable when hit by tree branches?
Don't imagine it would be really "moisture resistant", but the neck apparently breaks down for transport:
Wikipedia wrote:
The sao (棹?), or neck of the shamisen is usually divided into three or four pieces that fit and lock together. Indeed, most shamisen are made so that they can be easily disassembled and stowed to save space.
They also note what I consider a handy feature:
Wikipedia wrote:
Student shamisen often use dog skin, and sometimes plastic, as they are cheaper to replace, and more durable. The shamisen of professional players are often covered in cat skin, as it is more delicate and expensive. It is said that the best sound quality is produced from a shamisen bound in cat skin. In the past a special type of paper was used and recently various types of plastics are being tried. On the skin of some of the best shamisen, the position of the cat's nipples can still be seen.
This feature would make field repairs pretty easy: all you have to do is snag somebody's off-leash dog, or go over to Center and Union (in central Tacoma) and grab a few feral cats and you're in business! Bonus! You can do group arrangements and jam with your hiking buddies who pack their accordians! dizzy.gif (or hell... take the whole orchestra on a group hike!) lol.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Aug 03, 2016 9:30 pm 
These are cute and might cause some discomfort amongst the crowds. I have briefly plucked a plucky. Since I am a fiddler, my plucking was poorly performed. Crowded area? Play the dueling banjos tune.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Aug 04, 2016 4:35 am 
George Harrison used to routinely give this small, handy instrument away to his guitarist friends. He carried a bunch in his trunk and insisted that everyone must own one, and he handed them out. * https://rockclass101.com/sample-lessons/ * https://rockclass101.com/here-comes-the-sun/
George-Harrison-guitarman
George-Harrison-guitarman

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Aug 04, 2016 11:08 am 
hey, speaking of George..... there's no YOU in ukulele

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostFri Aug 05, 2016 8:22 am 
It would seem to me the guitar case for backpacking would almost be as important. Having something strong enough to protect it; without being overheavy. Specific strap mounting points as well. Probably a great niche market for a small company.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Aug 05, 2016 9:32 am 
InFlight wrote:
without being overheavy.
Fiddle - small, light and historically correct to the American west.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.