Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Methow Bear - Not a Grizzly Bear
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DWB27

DWB27
PostWed Aug 03, 2016 1:57 pm 
I've heard but not found information of a Grizzly Bear siting in the old Tripod Complex Fire northeast of Winthrop last summer by a helicopter pilot fighting the Twisp Complex Fire. Anyone know more? This Methow Valley News story is worth a look. http://methowvalleynews.com/2016/07/27/big-bear-but-not-a-grizzly/ In May of this year I witnessed 2 yearling black bears playing on the Chewach River 2.5 miles north of Winthrop. It was brushy but one bear was black, the other very much brown. Cinnamon Black Bears abound around Stehekin. The photo in the link clearly has a black bear face (pointy nose and ears) but grizzled brown hair and a hump back. In 1996 I'm 98% certain I saw a grizzly at Kool-Aid Lake above Cascade Pass. It was huge and was rummaging for marmots as far as I could tell. The book "Grizzly Wars" stated a grizzly skull was found at Cache Cal - about 2 miles from Cascade Pass and 1 mile from Kool-Aid lake. I used to watch the grizzlies at the WSU bear center in college so feel pretty confident in my siting. The giveaway is the long, whitish claws. I've also seen the Monogram Lake Black Bear photos. Big animal, but dark in color and later bear experts decided it was a Black Bear. Link here: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7991996&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 See thread page 3 for best photos. Is it possible that blacks and grizzlies mate? Any rumors of real grizz sitings in WA this year? All the fear surrounding them for reintroduction to the NC's would be silly if they are already there. I think there are a few and hope there is proof sooner than later.

“Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others." - H. Jackson Brown
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Aug 03, 2016 2:21 pm 
I have always suspected that one or two very shy grizzly bears, or more, have been lurking and moving around. A fairly reliable person said he saw one in the Southern Warshington Cascades. I won't say where, but it seems like a good, isolated spot for a bear to be with lots of berries to eat. Since bears don't know about boundaries or care about immigration laws, I will bet that they wander about near the Canadian Border, after all, moose do. And yes, I with the Park Service miscreants would leave things be. Grizz's have the habitat, they ought to be left on their own to migrate. Unfortunately, if one doesn't get a good photo with a newpaper showing the date biggrin.gif or have a PHD in grizzly studies, one's claim to have seen a griz is not taken seriously. No, I don't believe the species interbreed. But I don't have a PHD in bear studies.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Aug 03, 2016 2:32 pm 
Ursid Hybrid

Living in the Anthropocene
gb

gb
PostSun Aug 07, 2016 6:36 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Unfortunately, if one doesn't get a good photo with a newpaper showing the date biggrin.gif or have a PHD in grizzly studies, one's claim to have seen a griz is not taken seriously.
It's easy to be a critic if one knows nothing. If you were there and have good information - you are sure; all that a lack of a photo means is one didn't get a picture. I saw paw prints (along with my 3 friends) in May 2009 on snow that were unmistakably Grizzly. In the same general area that fall I saw a 14" pile of bearcrap in an un-trailed area. I later received a message from a Montana transplant who saw a bear very close by that same late summer. The bear's size, by that person's estimate, matched approximately the size of the Grizzly from the tracks we saw - 650 pounds+- according to the Grizzly Outreach research biologist. Cameras did not catch that Grizzly the next year. The biologist speculated that the bear may well have been on a walkabout from Canada.

Steve Erickson

Steve Erickson
PostWed Aug 10, 2016 11:00 am 
Not being critical in any way but size alone does not mean it is a grizzly. Black bears can weigh more than 600 lbs. Rare but it has been documented. I don't know the largest documented black bear from our state but they have been recorded this size and above in other states/provinces.

GrnXnham

GrnXnham
PostWed Aug 10, 2016 7:45 pm 
Grizzly bear sitings in Washington seem to be about as reliable as sasquatch sitings--lots of stories, hearsay, and blurry pictures.

gb

gb
PostWed Aug 10, 2016 9:53 pm 
GrnXnham wrote:
Grizzly bear sitings in Washington seem to be about as reliable as sasquatch sitings--lots of stories, hearsay, and blurry pictures.
You mean you haven't personally seen evidence so you know nothing?

gb

gb
PostWed Aug 10, 2016 9:57 pm 
Steve Erickson wrote:
Not being critical in any way but size alone does not mean it is a grizzly. Black bears can weigh more than 600 lbs. Rare but it has been documented. I don't know the largest documented black bear from our state but they have been recorded this size and above in other states/provinces.
Well aware of that, although it would be a very rare Black bear. But these bear tracks needed to have their nails cut 2-3". The pile of crap is not as notable, but much larger than any I've ever seen elsewhere. However, you ignore the fact that the couple from Montana knew Grizzlies well and saw the Grizzly in this same area about a month before I saw the crap and 5 months after 4 of us saw the tracks.

B+L

B+L
PostThu Aug 11, 2016 5:39 pm 
WDFW got a positive ID from a hair snare in the Selkirks last fall and they recently captured and radio-collared a 5-6 year old male. WDFW Wildlife Program Weekly Report - June 27 (PDF)

MadCapLaughs

MadCapLaughs
PostThu Aug 11, 2016 8:19 pm 
gb wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
Unfortunately, if one doesn't get a good photo with a newpaper showing the date biggrin.gif or have a PHD in grizzly studies, one's claim to have seen a griz is not taken seriously.
It's easy to be a critic if one knows nothing. If you were there and have good information - you are sure; all that a lack of a photo means is one didn't get a picture.
Ask any lawyer: eye-witness "evidence" is the least reliable evidence there is. You two seem to be taking this fact personally. But it is a fact nevertheless. One would do well to take any person's non-verifiable claim with a healthy dose of skepticism. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. Unfortunately, "I saw one" is no kind of proof at all.

gb

gb
PostSat Aug 13, 2016 12:13 pm 
Wildlife biologists place less value in identification on "sighting" a bear. They place the greatest reliability on DNA evidence and secondly on tracks. I saw unmistakable tracks. And I'm not in court. The couple from Montana had the Grizzly walk very near their camp. They were a Montana couple from Montana where they routinely see Grizzlies hiking. Who knows, maybe they were looking through funny glasses? Although you may doubt the tracks I measured and documented to the wildlife biologist of the Grizzly Bear Outreach program (since renamed), the biologist did not. Cameras were put out after this event.

wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Aug 15, 2016 9:29 am 
Since USFW or NPS has relocated 28 "problem" grizzly bears from Yellowstone to the Cascades, a grizzly sighting would not surprise me. I know this is true because I've met 4 Darrington locals in the past year who've told me this (not sure I recall the exact number however). Since it's apparently a secret guvmint program (in defiance of a WA state law prohibiting importation of out-of-state bears), we have no way of knowing how many tgroublesome grizzlies are wandering around out there without a green card.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.