Forum Index > Photography Talk > Can someone photshop a pic for me?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kweb

kweb
PostFri Aug 05, 2016 11:53 am 
Just wondering if someone would be willing to photoshop a pic for me. I'd love to have this buddha http://www.philosophizethis.org/the-buddha/ hovering over this pic of rainier https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a2/Mount_Rainier_from_the_Silver_Queen_Peak.jpg I hope to print it as a regular photo or on canvas. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mike

mike
PostFri Aug 05, 2016 12:13 pm 
Do you own the coyyright? Are these open source?

kweb

kweb
PostFri Aug 05, 2016 3:16 pm 
Ohhh that's right, there's that. Nope and no idea. Probably nope. I've grown to think that anything online is fair game. Forgot that there are still laws.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostFri Aug 05, 2016 4:46 pm 
The photo of Rainier is from Wikipedia, so it's probably OK to use that. I don't know about the buddha pic though. You could try searching for a similar shot on google images with a filter for usage rights.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostFri Aug 05, 2016 4:49 pm 
Another issue with that buddha photo is that it has a very low resolution, and if you wanted to blow it up to an 8 X 10 or larger it would probably not look very nice. Are you planning just to print it for yourself? Its only if you want to sell it that you'd run into copyright issues.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostFri Aug 05, 2016 5:33 pm 
I went ahead and found a image labeled for reuse on Google and very quickly put the two together. I just cut out the head of the Buddha after turning it black and white, pasted it onto the image of Rainier, lowered its opacity, and used the eraser tool at a few different opacity levels to replicate the effect from the Buddha photo you linked. It's very crude, and you might still run into issues with resolution if you wanted to make it into a large print.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Aug 05, 2016 5:59 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
Are you planning just to print it for yourself? Its only if you want to sell it that you'd run into copyright issues.
This. For your own personal use, everything pretty much is fair game.

kweb

kweb
PostSun Aug 07, 2016 2:45 pm 
Awesome! Thanks for doing that. Personal use. Not selling anything.

mike

mike
PostSun Aug 07, 2016 3:19 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
For your own personal use, everything pretty much is fair game.
Nope! Perhaps that's the practice (like on FB) but not the law. Private property is private property. Putting photos on the Internet may make them publicly available but does not (in the legal sense) put them in the public domain.
Quote:
“The Congress shall have Power … To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries.” — U.S. Constitution, Article I §8, adopted 1787
Quote:
“Subject to sections 107 through 122, the owner of copyright under this title has the exclusive rights to do and to authorize any of the following: (1) to reproduce the copyrighted work in copies …; (2) to prepare derivative works based upon the copyrighted work; (3) to distribute copies … of the copyrighted work to the public by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or lending; … (5) … to display the copyrighted work publicly — 17 USC §106

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Aug 07, 2016 5:12 pm 
On 125th street in Harlem, just down from the Apollo theater, there are all manner of street vendors selling burned CDs and DVDs in plain clear plastic cases. I think media companies don't bother with copyright enforcement for small time operators, unless what is being done represents an emerging trend. So Napster got hammered and a few individuals where made examples of.