Forum Index > Gear Talk > Cargo Shorts Are Out
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSat Aug 06, 2016 7:08 am 
It's no longer IN to wear cargo shorts. They have gone the way of the fanny pack. OUT. http://www.wsj.com/articles/nice-cargo-shorts-youre-sleeping-on-the-sofa-1470082856

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSat Aug 06, 2016 7:35 am 
This reads like an Onion article, but from the Wall Street Journal. Is this for real? Are cargo shorts really out of style? As bad as a fanny pack?!? No way... I'm confused... So what do "cool" or "in" shorts look like?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Aug 06, 2016 8:22 am 
awilsondc wrote:
This reads like an Onion article, but from the Wall Street Journal. Is this for real? Are cargo shorts really out of style? As bad as a fanny pack?!? No way... I'm confused... So what do "cool" or "in" shorts look like?
True. Heard it on NPR. The tighty, athletic look is "in".

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostSat Aug 06, 2016 9:31 am 
awilsondc wrote:
Is this for real?
Pleasant Grove, Utah at the leading edge of fashion? A Ph.D. thesis about cargo pants? Yes, it is for real. Just another sign that the end is near.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSat Aug 06, 2016 9:51 am 
OH NO! Well I need help then. Please. Before I get LAUGHED off the mountain in my cargo shants! I did a quick google image search for "athletic man shorts" which possibly revealed some more "in" styles. I was tempted to post some of the pictures, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Search for yourself if you're curious. Is this what I need to be wearing to be cool these days?! Half joking half serious here. I must be getting old or something...

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSat Aug 06, 2016 10:40 am 
treeswarper wrote:
...... The tighty, athletic look is "in".
lol.gif Except on me! Besides, where would I carry my phone and knife, and other "cargo"?

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Aug 06, 2016 12:04 pm 
moonspots wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
...... The tighty, athletic look is "in".
lol.gif Except on me! Besides, where would I carry my phone and knife, and other "cargo"?
Why in an unfashionable fanny pack, of course.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
trestle

trestle
PostSun Aug 07, 2016 8:14 am 
Good luck finding shorts that aren't cargo shorts. Maybe by next year the retailers will have finally caught on. Cargo shorts have been OUT for two years now, it's just taken everyone forever to notice. Cargo shorts guy will be the next Pemco "We are the NorthWest" commercial. Frankly, cargo shorts guy and socks w/sandals guy are essentially the same person. Fortunately the majority of our female population are not afflicted with this condition.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSun Aug 07, 2016 8:55 am 
trestle wrote:
Fortunately the majority of our female population are not afflicted with this condition.
It's about utility = my station wagon with cargo space and backpack with 5 pockets and folding knife with 5 blades, etc.. Utility. The girls should also wear utilities to carry their lipstick and hair spray.
Marine-Corps-Combat-Utility-Uniform
Marine-Corps-Combat-Utility-Uniform

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Aug 07, 2016 9:31 am 
Snowbrushy wrote:
t's about utility = my station wagon with cargo space and backpack with 5 pockets and folding knife with 5 blades, etc.. Utility.
up.gif Yes, indeed.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Aug 07, 2016 11:30 am 
There are these http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/search.asp?cat=138. I got one but it's kind of smelly and dirty and has some holes starting.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Aug 07, 2016 12:01 pm 
Cargo pants article cause for huge backlash by readers: The story stirred up quite a bit of anger from our male readers. One reader asked why I was “afraid” of cargo shorts and said I was acting in an offensive and aggressive manner by writing this article. A shockingly high number of readers told me to pry their cargo shorts from their “cold, dead legs,” an image I would like to purge. Okay, so big deal... I'd be glad if they went by the wayside, because I hate having shorts hanging down around my knees - I have to get mine all cut and re-hemmed, which is virtually impossible if they have those low-slung pockets. I prefer the John Stockton look. up.gif Besides, if you're hauling a pack, why would you need to have a bunch of crap in your pockets?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostSun Aug 07, 2016 2:56 pm 
Ski wrote:
if you're hauling a pack, why would you need to have a bunch of crap in your pockets?
1. So you don't have to take your pack off for every little thing. 2. So you can walk around without your pack on and still have some stuff handy.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Aug 07, 2016 2:58 pm 
Conrad wrote:
Ski wrote:
if you're hauling a pack, why would you need to have a bunch of crap in your pockets?
1. So you don't have to take your pack off for every little thing. 2. So you can walk around without your pack on and still have some stuff handy.
up.gif

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSun Aug 07, 2016 2:58 pm 
Ski wrote:
Besides, if you're hauling a pack, why would you need to have a bunch of crap in your pockets?
I use 'em for trash... mostly empty energy gel pouches or bar wrappers. That's pretty much it though. I sure don't use 'em for "cargo".