Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Hotmail / Outlook question.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Aug 16, 2016 3:41 pm 
Just today I have noticed that if I type in an address into the body of an email, then Outlook converts it into a hyperlink to a Bing map. I am sure they think this is a great idea, but I don't want addresses converted into hyperlinks. Does anyone know how I can work around this? At first I thought it was maybe because I had bolded the address, but I did a test without bolding. Still comes out as a link. Then I tried dropping the zip code off and it still came back as a link. Grrrr. ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Aug 16, 2016 4:28 pm 
zephyr wrote:
Does anyone know how I can work around this?
Gmail Couldn't resist

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Aug 16, 2016 4:54 pm 
Actually I am hoping someone knows if I can tweak this in Settings or somewhere. I have been looking. And I am not looking for an different email system. Thanks. ~z

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Aug 16, 2016 5:01 pm 
LINK

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Aug 16, 2016 5:36 pm 
Thanks, Randy. I actually did an online search for the issue, but your question was more succinct and got better results. Here's one of the suggested solutions. Quote: They appear when Outlook detects a physical address in this message body (which it does with mixed success). Click on the ‘Bing Maps’ link to open up a web page. You might not like this link, so how to get rid of it? Hunting around Outlook File | Options or File | Options | Add-ins won’t do you any good. Where is it hiding? Bing Maps is an Exchange Server add-in (not an Outlook add-in) so you need to go to your Exchange Server user account to make the change. Do that from File | Info | Manage Addins or open up Outlook Web Access in your browser and go to Settings | Manage Apps. Unfortunately, I am lost at Exchange Server. I did find Add-ins in my Hotmail/Outlook account, but the one for turning Bing off wasn't there. I will hang onto this web page until someone smarter comes along to walk me through this at home. Thanks.

Pef

Pef
PostTue Aug 16, 2016 6:07 pm 
If you sign in to Hotmail and put this in the browser address bar: https://outlook.live.com/owa/?path=/options/manageapps You should see an attachment listed for Bing maps that is checked, you just need to uncheck that..... at least that works for me smile.gif

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Aug 16, 2016 6:38 pm 
Yes!!!! You did it, Pef. Ding ding ding!!! dance.gif That works! Thanks so much. I did try looking for it, but you found it! I just prefer to set my own links in my email. I really appreciate your figuring it out. ~z