Forum Index > Gear Talk > Esbit stoves
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Carla

Carla
PostFri Aug 19, 2016 7:58 am 
Thanks everyone for all the great info and advice! Lots O stuff to digest! Snowbrushy, if you remember what company is making the new cubes please update! smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Aug 19, 2016 8:36 am 
I will share the product if I see it. Have you used the stove out in the field? I personally don't care about any residue or smell.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
wolffie

wolffie
PostFri Aug 19, 2016 10:42 am 
I've used the Esbit mainly because I got a ton of fuel at a garage sale. Hard to light in wind. Handy to keep in car; make some strong black tea for the drive home. Requires a good, tight, windscreen, like any stove (with a cannister stove, you must be very careful to prevent a windscreen from heating your fuel can, or BOOM). I use a squat, broad 1 qt. teakettle. I replaced my old aluminum one with an identical dark-anodized model, and I believe the dark anodizing makes a big difference. I've been impressed by the JetBoil, but I want a cookpot that can be used on a fire in an emergency (I almost never make fires). I recently got a fire going in challenging conditions: cold, wet, wind, crappy soggy wood. Firestarter: paper egg carton cup filled with paraffin. I never thought of using these as cooking fuel. Just made some replacements with steel wool and magnesium filings in the paraffin. I'm told that duck tape makes great tinder; wrap it around your lighters, and it's always there. You need a decent knife to whittle wet sticks down to dry wood shavings for tinder & kindling). In Chickenhawk (a great read), Robert Mason describes how helicopter crews would improvise a stove with a K-ration can and jet fuel. I've read that C4 plastic explosive works well too, if you happen to have a Claymore mine to take apart. Don't try this at home, kids. Last trip, I was low on fuel, so a couple nights I did cold Mountain House (not bad!), cold cocoa, oatmeal, cold coffee. It's just like Hell. I'm going to try stoveless, with stuff like Spam packets.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Carla

Carla
PostFri Aug 19, 2016 1:18 pm 
Snowbrushy, I've never tried an Esbit before. They are so cheap that I might pick one up to try regardless of what I decide to go with long term.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Aug 19, 2016 1:33 pm 
wolffie wrote:
cold coffee.
It's funny that people will pay quite a bit for a cup of cold brewed coffee at Starbucks.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Aug 19, 2016 2:29 pm 
Super Hot White Girl wrote:
if you remember what company is making the new cubes
Bleuet, if I recall uses a cousin to the hexamine tablet called trioxaine. Don't quote me, though. If I were you (I'm not of course) I'd buy a cheap Coghlans stove and play with it at home, as I did in the kitchen. It's solid gear. NATO troops use Esbit cookers. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Esbit-Style-Pocket-Stove-from-Bleuet-Trioxane-Camping-Stoves-/370867383498?hash=item56596b2cca:g:1fYAAOSw5dNWi~F3
bleuet-pocket-stove-6-fuel-cubes-steel-
bleuet-pocket-stove-6-fuel-cubes-steel-

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
onetwolaugh

onetwolaugh
PostFri Aug 19, 2016 6:53 pm 
I am a fan of Esbit stoves. I use one based on Brian Greens design made of titanium. I use a wider pot (5.5") so as to capture more of the heat and a DIY Caldera sidewinder wind screen/pot support. I boil 2 cups water with 1/2 Esbit cube, 1/4 cube for 1 cup. I also have a DIY shield/bonnet piece that drops over the top of the burning Esbit which allows me to simmer. With 1 Esbit cube (1/2 oz.) I can boil 2 cups water in about 8 minutes and then set simmer bonnet over remaining Esbit cube to slow the burn down and simmer for almost 20 min. I usually do only freezer bag dinners so 3 cubes (1.5 oz) is good for 6 meals. Pretty efficient IMHO. Also when you look at wind screens you notice that most alcohol stoves are scorched brown at the top - If its scorched that's wasted energy going to the outdoors versus your food. My wind screen is still shinny as new after many years of use. Weights- pot+lid+windscreen+stove+simmer bonnet+ground heat shield+3 days fuel is right at 6 oz. -Dale

Carla

Carla
PostMon Aug 22, 2016 3:01 pm 
Snowbrushy wrote:
If I were you (I'm not of course)
You're not? wink.gif Thanks again everybody! smile.gif

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostWed Aug 24, 2016 10:09 am 
The Esbit and Alcohol fuels have about a third the energy density of Isobutane gas. An empty small gas fuel canister is 3 ounces. With a 3 ounce pocket rocket you have a cook system that boils water 3 times faster, can simmer, and wastes no fuel. It's also allowed during all the fire bans. In the end; you have two decide if a three ounce weight savings is worth the downsides of Esbit over a canister stove.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Damian

Damian
PostWed Aug 24, 2016 9:32 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
worse yet seen a SVEA 123 blow its over pressure value
Ah yes. It was, as Harvey Manning described it, "a terrifying ball of flame". That's when I bought my Whisperlite, in 1984. Still running strong with most original parts.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Aug 25, 2016 8:59 am 
Useful write up: http://www.pmags.com/stove-comparison-real-world-use
Quote:
Overall Summary There are many stoves to choose from. Which one is the best depends upon your intended use. Note these recommendations are given assuming there is no open flame ban or similar. If you are resupplying for less than ten meals, solo and three-season backpacking: Alcohol Stove If you are a couple and/or going a longer time between resupplies, want something quick and convenient or need to do real cooking: Canister Stove other than Jet Boil If you are solo and want a convenient all in one solution and/or very fast boil times and/or if a couple doing boil and cook pouch-type meals: Jetboil or MSR Reactor If you are winter camping/high altitude mountaineering and/or below 0F and/or doing 3+ person meals: White Gas Stove If you are winter camping/high altitude mountaineering and want absolute convenience, above ~0F, but not in a 3+ person group: Inverted and remote canister stove Doing lots of “real cooking” in a forest environment and not hiking far: Zip Stove Want the absolute lightest stove and price/resupply (and don’t mind slower boil times) is not an issue: Esbit Prefer to go the ultra-minimalist route and want very little to no futzing: No stove.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Aug 25, 2016 9:24 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
If you are a couple and/or going a longer time between resupplies, want something quick and convenient or need to do real cooking: Canister Stove other than Jet Boil
How complicated.. Canister stoves are for solo hikers on weekend hikes also. They have been around since the old Bleuet butane stove. They are simple and easy. That is their beauty.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostThu Aug 25, 2016 9:31 pm 
Sir-Hikes-A-Lot wrote:
Now, onto the fuel -- I'll use a 3-day, 2 night trip as an example... Personally, I would use two cubes for the trip. This weighs 1 oz, as each Esbit tab weighs .5 oz. Depending on how new your canister is, there will be a minimum of 1 oz (assuming you'll need at least 1 oz of fuel for a 3-day trip) and up 4 oz of fuel weight (this is based on the 7 oz total weight canisters, which I believe are the smallest ones).
I have a hot breakfast and dinner each day I'm out. I can easily boil enough water for my meal and cleanup pretty quickly. It would take a lot more Esbit to boil a equivalent amount of water.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostWed Sep 07, 2016 12:41 pm 
A few comment on Fuel tabs. ESBIT (Hexamethylenetetramine) releases formaldehyde, hydrogen cyanide, ammonia, carbon oxides, and nitrogen oxides when burned. Trioxane (C3H6O3) also contains formaldehyde. It has about 1/2 the energy density of ESBIT and is difficult to blow out. The US military now uses a Magnesium-Iron Powder as the heating source (AKA Flameless Ration Heater) You add water to a sealed package and it simply releases hydrogen gas. It's really the most non-toxic small heating method. Not cheap, but sold on Amazon.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Sep 07, 2016 1:40 pm 
Stoveless, non-toxic, very light, for the self-confident. http://gossamergear.com/wp/stoveless-camping-crotch-pot But what about a hot cup-o-joe?