Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Baker - Park Butte/Railroad grade 8/11-13
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
lanzscape

lanzscape
PostSat Aug 27, 2016 7:32 pm 
We originally intended on a 6 day backpack in Glacier Peak Wilderness, but the Buck Creek fire changed our plans, so we spent 2 1/2 days in Mt. Baker NRA, and 3 1/2 days in NCNP (Hannegan Pass/Copper Ridge). This report covers the Mt. Baker trip. On August 10, we (my brother, Jim, and friend, Jeff) flew from Ohio to Seattle, rented a car, went to REI for stove fuel, and found a motel up I-5. The next day, 8/11, we drove the rest of the way to the trail head, and hiked up to Cathedral Camp.
Schreibers Meadow from Cathedral Camp
Schreibers Meadow from Cathedral Camp
looking east from Cathedral Camp
looking east from Cathedral Camp
We set up camp, and then day hiked up to the Park Butte lookout. Just below the lookout, we were treated to an airshow demonstration performance by what I believe was the Canadian Forces Snowbirds, who were scheduled to perform in Vancouver the following day. They did at least four fly-by's of Mt. Baker in tight formation, while a isolation jet performed some rollover's and other stunts. It was amazing to watch from 5400 feet, and these photos don't do it justice.
Mt. Baker from below Park Butte
Mt. Baker from below Park Butte
Air show
Air show
Air show
Air show
Air Show
Air Show
After dark, we headed about 1/2 the way up the trail to the meadow above Cathedral Camp, and found a nice seat to watch the Perseid meteor shower above Mt. Baker until 1:00am. I hoped for some photos of meteors over Mt. Baker, but the moonlight on Mt. Baker was too bright for long exposures at high iso.
Watching for meteors from above Cathedral Camp
Watching for meteors from above Cathedral Camp
The following day, we day hiked up Railroad Grade to the climbers' base camp at Sandy Camp. The views from high up on Railroad Grade are most impressive.
View from Railroad Grade trail
High camp from Railroad Grade
High camp from Railroad Grade
On Railroad Grade trail
On Railroad Grade trail
Climbing Railroad Grade
Climbing Railroad Grade
Looking south on Railroad Grade
Looking south on Railroad Grade
View from Railroad grade trail
View from Railroad grade trail
Climbers ascending Railroad Grade
Climbers ascending Railroad Grade
On the way back to camp, I photographed the clouds over Mt. Baker and heather in the meadows.
Late afternoon below Cathedral Camp
Late afternoon below Cathedral Camp
Heather and Mt. Baker
Heather and Mt. Baker
In the afternoon, we headed back up to the meadow area above Cathedral Camp for water and to just hang out. What a beautiful area!
Mt. Baker
Mt. Baker
Mt. Baker reflected  in tarn
Mt. Baker reflected in tarn
Mt. Baker reflected in another tarn
Mt. Baker reflected in another tarn
Mt. Baker reflection
Mt. Baker reflection
Enjoying the view while filling up
Enjoying the view while filling up
The scenery got even better in the evening.
Early evening reflection
Early evening reflection
Mt. Baker, rocks, and heather
Mt. Baker, rocks, and heather
Sunset on Mt. Baker
Sunset on Mt. Baker
I awoke the next morning at 5:00am. The sky to the east look promising for a nice sunrise, so I grabbed my camera and tripod, and quickly headed back up to the meadow above Cathedral Camp, getting there just in time to photograph a fiery sunrise.
Fiery sunrise
Fiery sunrise
Sunrise (alt)
Sunrise (alt)
Sunrise III
Sunrise III
I headed back to camp after sunrise, and we hiked out in the morning. I took several more photos in the meadow below Cathedral Camp on the way out.
Finale
Finale
We then drove over to the Hannegan pass trail head, and hiked to Border Camp in late afternoon. I'll try to post a report of that trip soon. For three older guys (ages 59 to 67) from flatland (i.e., Ohio), this proved to be a very enjoyable and not too strenuous trip. The scenery was fabulous, and we were treated to two airshows (the Canadian air demonstration team and the Perseid meteor shower). It was my recently retired brother's first real backpacking trip, as well as his first trip of any kind to the Pacific Northwest, which made this trip even more special. Hope you enjoy the photos.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Aug 27, 2016 8:04 pm 
Looks like a really nice trip. Glad you enjoyed it after traveling so far. Those tarns below Park Butte LO are magical. Amazing sunrise shots you captured there. up.gif

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSat Aug 27, 2016 8:33 pm 
lanzscape wrote:
I awoke the next morning at 5:00am. The sky to the east look promising for a nice sunrise, so I grabbed my camera and tripod, and quickly headed back up to the meadow above Cathedral Camp, getting there just in time to photograph a fiery sunrise.
Fiery sunrise
Fiery sunrise
Now that's a beautiful photo!

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Jackal

Jackal
PostSat Aug 27, 2016 9:19 pm 
Too bad you didn't get your GP trip in but what a consolation prize! Fantastic photos.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSun Aug 28, 2016 4:55 pm 
williswall wrote:
quote="lanzscape"]I awoke the next morning at 5:00am. The sky to the east look promising for a nice sunrise, so I grabbed my camera and tripod, and quickly headed back up to the meadow above Cathedral Camp, getting there just in time to photograph a fiery sunrise.
Fiery sunrise
Fiery sunrise
Now that's a beautiful photo![/quote] I'll say! Calendar worthy up.gif Lanzscape, you have photographically captured the essence of the area I was fortunate to chose for a M.S. thesis in geology in 1976. With so much truly outstanding scenery all around, the wonder is that I got any scientific field work in at all!

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
contour5

contour5
PostSun Aug 28, 2016 5:11 pm 
Excellent photos, great light and clouds...

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Aug 29, 2016 7:51 am 
Yummy photos! chow.gif up.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani