Forum Index > Gear Talk > REI needs to bring the daily garage sales back
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cartman

cartman
PostFri Aug 26, 2016 12:51 pm 
I rarely go to or purchase from REI anymore. Only if I really need something and it happens to be the most convenient place to get it. I used to go in more when they had the garage sales in the basement. There was always the chance I might find something interesting for a good price, and the inventory changed daily. Gave it sort of a "treasure hunt" feel. The Washington Post just published an article as to why women's clothing stores are experiencing slow sales, and one of many reasons is "off-price players such as Ross, T.J. Maxx and Marshalls have been winning over new shoppers with their treasure-hunt atmosphere". That's what the daily garage sales at REI used to be like. Now I'm more likely to go to places like Second Ascent or even Play It Again Sports before I'll go into REI, since those stores have a rapidly changing inventory and I have a much better chance to find something interesting and useful at a nice price. Why should I go to REI? Just a bunch of full-priced stuff I can usually find for less online. Even the sales have been stagnant for several years, the same old same old. I don't know how their bottom line is doing, but IMO REI needs to rethink certain aspects of its business model. Bringing back the garage sale in the store would bring me in more often--I'd spend more money there, probably including more regular priced items for the convenience factor since I'm there anyway. No way I want anything to do with the zoo-like atmosphere of the twice annual lines around the block nonsense.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Aug 26, 2016 1:10 pm 
Here is an alternative way to feed your inner gear lust http://www.steepandcheap.com/ IMHO REI is now a clothing store for "imports" that want to look like Seattle natives.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Aug 26, 2016 2:38 pm 
I got a Patagucci cashmere sweater with a full zipper and two hand-warmer pockets at Value Village for $20, apparently it's $400 new. Mine looks like it's never been worn. Washing it got rid of the mothball smell. I've seen somebody else score an Arc'teryx softshell in there. Very much a treasure hunt-and-gather in there.

trestle

trestle
PostFri Aug 26, 2016 6:08 pm 
REI lost its way a few CEOs ago and they're way off-trail at this point. Well, not literally, since most everything they sell nowadays is for on-trail activities.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
pawpy

pawpy
PostThu Nov 17, 2016 8:51 pm 
Somewhat recently REI started hosting a full time garage sale site: https://www.rei.com/rei-garage They claim they won't sell outdated or unsafe crap on here. I managed to get two full ski rigs worth of winter clothing here for about $500 each. Consists of brands like Marmot, Solomon, Patagonia and North Face. I guess that list reinforces the opinion that it is a clothing for imports trying to fit the style. Decent gear all the same though. Check out the-house.com too for winter outdoor sports gear.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostFri Dec 23, 2016 4:51 pm 
I've been shopping the other co-op, MEC, lately. mec.ca

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
trestle

trestle
PostSat Dec 24, 2016 6:56 am 
REI-garage online is just the renamed version of their REI Outlet site from years prior. It's nothing like the garage mentioned by the OP and is just another backhanded slight to decades-long customers....er...members.

goal20hc
goal20hc

goal20hc
goal20hc
PostFri Dec 30, 2016 8:42 pm 
REI does still have their 'garage sales' at local stores. For example, I know there is one at the Bellingham, WA store tomorrow (12/31/16). Doors open at 10:00

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostSun Jan 01, 2017 8:31 am 
REI just completed a national Garage Day sale yesterday 12/31 at all REI stores.

trestle

trestle
PostSun Jan 01, 2017 11:27 am 
The OP was referring to the now-closed "garage" in the basement at the downtown Seattle store and clearly hoped to avoid the
cartman wrote:
zoo-like atmosphere of the twice annual lines around the block nonsense
...and I agree. smile.gif

huron

huron
PostThu Feb 23, 2017 9:19 am 
Yeah, really miss the GS basement. Went to flagship to buy a new puffy and base layer last week to find that HALF the men's department is also gone. They moved a women's brand store into the men's coat section and put up a yoga shop in the Men's base layer section. YOGA! Came home empty handed.

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostThu Feb 23, 2017 9:45 am 
I wonder about the financial health of the company. Look at the new Bellevue store, it is clearly much smaller than the older Redmond store it replaced. The market has already shed small stores like Marmot, Swallows Nest, Backpackers Supply and (the other store in Bellevue). And the biggies have lost Sports Authority, Joe's, Sportsmans Wharehouse and has a very ill EMS, Cabela's and Bass Pro Shop on their hands.

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostSat Feb 25, 2017 9:14 am 
The Bellevue store is actually larger. REI continues to expand stores every year and just opened a new distribution center, its' third in Arizona. I review their information online from time to time. As a Co-Op they appear to be very forthcoming with information on their website.

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostSat Feb 25, 2017 9:46 am 
I'll assume you're correct that the new store is larger, it seems smaller but what do I know? I checked out their financials too, the CEO pulls down a cool $3.5 million, and the BOD get $80K. Glad they're looking out for us members.

trestle

trestle
PostSat Feb 25, 2017 11:19 am 
Huron wrote:
Went to flagship to buy a new puffy and base layer last week to find that HALF the men's department is also gone. They moved a women's brand store into the men's coat section and put up a yoga shop in the Men's base layer section. YOGA!
This is very disappointing as the men's section was one of the few things that pulled me into downtown Seattle.