Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Car Shopping: What's your ride?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
David Cole
Waterfall lover

David Cole
Waterfall lover
PostSat Aug 27, 2016 3:36 pm 
I'll probably be buying a new car sometime next year, and I'm curious to know what people use for getting to remote tailheads and for general use. I've owned three Jeeps in the past (a 1995 Cherokee, a 1997 Grand Cherokee, and a 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited), and I'm strongly leaning towards the V6 Cherokee Trailhawk. I rented one for a week last year while visiting Washington and Oregon before I moved here, including driving it on some pretty rough forest roads in the Opal Creek Wilderness in Oregon, and it was great. That said, Subaru is also on my radar screen. I've driven a Crosstrek a few times via Zipcar and liked it, and I was particularly impressed how it protected me during a pretty serious wreck I was involved in on US-2 last month. I may also look into saving a few bucks and getting a used 2nd-generation Jeep Liberty or a Jeep Commander, although it's getting harder to find those models with low mileage. I've been burned a few times buying high-mileage beaters, but at least I won't be using this car for daily commuting. I live in downtown Seattle and walk to work now. I'll probably move further out soon, but still plan to use public transit for commuting. As such, this car will mainly be for outdoors stuff, the occasional road trip, and for running errands. What I'm looking for in a mid-sized SUV: - Comfortable and easy to drive on city streets as well as on long road trips - Able to handle remote forest roads and winter driving conditions without too much drama - In my price range (<$35k new or <$25-30k for certified used) - Reliable, easy to maintain. I can do basic stuff but I'm not particularly mechanically inclined, and would much rather spend my Saturdays up in the mountains than at a mechanic or the dealership. - Something that looks good. After some initial trepidation I've come around to love the looks of the new Cherokee. All the Subaru models just look too generic, IMO. (Also, everybody and their brother in the PNW seems to own one.) I absolutely love the design of the older Range Rovers, but I'd never want to be responsible for maintaining one. What do you use for romping around in the mountains? Any models I may have overlooked? Anybody have personal experience with the models listed above?

"The mountains are calling and I must go." -- John Muir web | twitter | facebook
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSat Aug 27, 2016 4:51 pm 
Remind me what is wrong with a generic look if it works exactly as you describe in your wish list? Said the Subaru Forester owner.

David Cole
Waterfall lover

David Cole
Waterfall lover
PostSat Aug 27, 2016 5:31 pm 
Joey wrote:
Remind me what is wrong with a generic look if it works exactly as you describe in your wish list? Said the Subaru Forester owner.
Purely personal preference. I design stuff for a living, and I prefer to spend my money on things that have an appealing design. I realize the newer designs are largely driven by computer modeling and wind tunnel tests, but my pet peeve with most modern cars is that you can't tell them apart from each other without looking at the badge. I strongly prefer the sharp lines of the older Jeeps, Volvos, and Land Rovers compared to most of the blobs on the road today. The newer Jeep models, while a departure from the old-school look since Chrysler got bought out by Fiat, still have a distinctive look to them that I appreciate.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." -- John Muir web | twitter | facebook
HappyHiker

HappyHiker
PostSun Aug 28, 2016 8:38 am 
Get one of these...
load it with this...
and you can go here...

If You're Lucky Enough To Be In The Mountains, You're Lucky Enough
RichP

RichP
PostSun Aug 28, 2016 9:29 am 
It sounds like you've already made up your mind. For me the Subaru Forester has it all from being a decent family car in the city to driving on rough forest service roads. I don't mind the bland look since my identity is not connected in any way to what I drive. I just want to get there and back and this vehicle does the job.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Aug 28, 2016 9:33 am 
Jeff wrote:
I would stay far away from Subarus. They know they pretty much own the market so they can get away with making absolute garbage cars. At first I thought mine was just a fluke, but I've talked with a lot of other Subaru owners who report the same problems.
Strongly agree. My Mom was considering a Subaru, but for far less money she purchased a Ford Escape and has been happy thus far (2years). I am a truck guy so I like a Ford or Chevy 4wd, I really don't think one is any better than the other, just different. I also own a 1990 Celica as a beater-trail car, highly recommend for those on a tight budget. So easy to work on, amazing mechanical design! For example, I replaced the fuel pump and on nearly every vehicle that I know of, you have to get under the car and drop the fuel tank to replace it. Not on the Toy, just pop out the rear seat and the fuel tank is just underneath, easy peasy!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Aug 28, 2016 9:48 am 
I drive a 2012 Honda Pilot and it's one of the few vehicles I've ever owned that I would buy again.

Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostSun Aug 28, 2016 12:25 pm 
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSun Aug 28, 2016 12:43 pm 
Regarding Subarus:
Quote:
everybody and their brother in the PNW seems to own one
And why do you think that is? I can guarantee you we Suby owners are not trying to make some sort of automotive fashion statement.

David Cole
Waterfall lover

David Cole
Waterfall lover
PostSun Aug 28, 2016 1:00 pm 
Jeff wrote:
I would stay far away from Subarus. They know they pretty much own the market so they can get away with making absolute garbage cars. At first I thought mine was just a fluke, but I've talked with a lot of other Subaru owners who report the same problems.
What are the issues with Subaru? All my online research indicates they're generally among the more reliable brands. The Forester seems pretty popular among the NWHikers crowd... How does the Outback compare?

David Cole
Waterfall lover

David Cole
Waterfall lover
PostSun Aug 28, 2016 1:35 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
Regarding Subarus:
Quote:
everybody and their brother in the PNW seems to own one
And why do you think that is? I can guarantee you we Suby owners are not trying to make some sort of automotive fashion statement.
I'm not so sure about that. Subaru seems to be as much a part of PNW fashion as lumberjack shirts and facial hair. Hell, it's even a running joke on Portlandia. Not saying they aren't good cars, but for a certain demographic they're definitely a fashion statement, particularly for those who would never be caught dead outside the I-405 beltway and whose idea of off-road travel is hitting a speed bump in the Whole Foods parking lot.

hikerman

hikerman
PostSun Aug 28, 2016 3:22 pm 
23 pages of everything you wanted to know about a subaru here: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8009249&highlight=subaru

Deereguy

Deereguy
PostSun Aug 28, 2016 10:40 pm 
OK, don't laugh. For the budget conscience: It's not a Jeep, but our Kia Soul Sport auto 5-1/2" clearance has taken us where many cars and pu can't. The darn thing can climb a rope.

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostMon Aug 29, 2016 3:58 am 
I like my Toyota RAV4 more than I though I would. 2005 or 2006...the ones with the 6 cylinder, not 4. I am only 5'8" so I can sleep comfortably in it and room for hound if there is one. (I don't use tents for car camping anymore. Just something else to get wet.) It has been fairly reliable except for a bunch of recall notices on weird stuff like seat belt retract devices and rear stabilizer(?) axles. It does not get very good gas mileage but I have a factory roof rack with a Thule on top of that and I carry canoes/kayaks/bikes a lot. Rough ride and noisy too, but those are not important to me. Can't go fast with back windows down; vacuum noise will blow out your ears. I have 4-wheeled very rough gravel/cobble and deep sand several times and it matches my skill level which is almost zero. Snow and ice are fine if you go slow. I'd probably buy another. Subaru: Is there still an issue with head gaskets and oil leaks??? Some say yes, others say it is fixed. Tom

jbsimm2
WWLD?

jbsimm2
WWLD?
PostMon Aug 29, 2016 7:02 am 
You could check out Nissan Xterra. 2016 is the last model year but you should be able to still find one. The newer ones don't have the same soul as the first gen Xterra's but they are still a very capable SUV. I recall reading a car and driver report where the Xterra beat out all for (stock) off road capability, including H2, Jeep Wrangler, FJ Cruiser and 4Runner. I would caution getting a 2nd generation 2005 till about 2011. I heard they had issues with Radiator sludge or something. 2012 and above has fixed the issue. edited to add: I am 6'2" and with the back seat folded down can sleep in the back. Granted, it is crosswise, but I still fit back there.