Forum Index > Trail Talk > FS-90 Deliberately Blocked By Axe-Wielding Rubes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostTue Aug 30, 2016 11:35 am 
mcganahan skejellyfetti wrote:
I won't go into details because I don't want to spell out how to actually trap people in there.
Don't think it was all that complicated, no big secrets here.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Aug 30, 2016 1:25 pm 
Ski wrote:
chainsaws are like Harleys: they drip oil.
I have seen them shrink wrapped when carried in a car trunk, and I've bought those throw away bed protectors and put saws on those. They soak up the drippy stuff quite well. But you have figure out how to keep a chainsaw out of sight. And your vehicle interior will smell like saw gas, which is better than dog farts, or people farts or those terrible air fresheners. Plus you need to carry mixed gas, which does come premade in spendy cans that will last a couple of years, and should carry assorted safety and maintenance stuff. Hiding all that could be a problem.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
drm

drm
PostTue Aug 30, 2016 3:02 pm 
mcganahan skejellyfetti wrote:
You might already be aware of this but the northern approach to the Mount Adams Killen Creek trailhead on FS-2329 has been washed out and not yet repaired. Several other roads in the area have also been damaged. This means you can only access the trailhead from the south on FS-2329, which requires you to take FS-23 and, for most of us, FS-90 to get there.
Just wanted to point out that rather than driving all the way around, you should head towards Killen Ck trailhead, go up Muddy Meadows Trail instead, turn right at the junction with the PCT, and head over to Killen Creek area. It's not much longer of a hike and a much nicer trail. Killen Ck trail is so dusty.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Aug 30, 2016 7:57 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
"I have seen them shrink wrapped when carried in a car trunk..."
35-gallon black garbage bag with a twisty-tie. 1/4" steel cable and padlock to secure. Guess if they had bolt-cutters they'd get it. Yeah... leaving it the trunk or passenger compartment is going to get mighty whiffy in short order - way mo' betta in the bed. Don't forget you have to also haul pre-mix gasoline and bar oil and a couple tools, and you still generally will need an axe (or splitting maul) and maybe a bow saw. (And just to make sure at least one extra spark plug and a spare chain and maybe a wedge or two and maybe a peevee or spud bar.) Lotta crap to haul around. Just stick with somethin' simple - way easier.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostTue Aug 30, 2016 8:16 pm 
Ringangleclaw wrote:
Beavers=rubes
Ok, I lol'ed lol.gif Seriously though this is a great reminder to keep a small saw and/or axe in the vehicle and rope isn't a bad idea either.

Bugs

Bugs
PostTue Aug 30, 2016 8:56 pm 
And a rope. Tie on to the light end of a tree with one end and the front of your car with the other end and back up. You can often get just enough room to get around.

Always out there.
yorknl

yorknl
PostTue Aug 30, 2016 9:10 pm 
For what it's worth, the washout just north of Killen Creek campground is rough but passable in a 4WD vehicle with decent clearance. I did so in my 4Runner on August 7 (both ways) without any issues. It looked as though somebody had pushed/dragged the bigger rocks to the west side of the roadway, leaving the east side in decent enough condition to pass albeit at a pretty good slant. Use your own judgement, of course.