Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hart and Steens Mountains
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
feldychi

feldychi
PostFri Aug 05, 2016 11:28 pm 
Hello, Looking at several days in the Hart/Steens Mountain areas in OR in mid-Oct. I know it will be cold at night but wondering if anyone has any suggestions for camping/hiking and maybe a one night backpack in the area. I have never been but it has been on my 'list' for a long time. Haven't done much research yet--just trying to drum up ideas..... Thanks so much, Carrie

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSat Aug 06, 2016 3:25 am 
Carrie, I read this book at my daughter's house in Spokane while recovering from emergency surgery: https://www.amazon.com/Remote-Wonders-Explorers-Southeast-Oregon/dp/0874223326 It is less about trails and more car tours...but in that huge country a car recon could save you much time! Tom

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Aug 06, 2016 11:43 am 
From ONDA's site: http://onda.org/where-we-work/steens/visitors-guide

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
mike

mike
PostSat Aug 06, 2016 12:14 pm 
Well, both Steens and Hart Mtn have roads to the top. Steens is worth it for the views. Campground on the way up. Hart summit (Warner Pk) not so much due to the communication junk, unless you are an unrepentant peak bagger. However I recommend base camping at the hotsprings and wandering around the ridge N of Degarmo Canyon. Poker Jim Ridge and Petroglyph Lake is also worth a look. There are petroglyphs all over the place.
looking over to Warner Pk
looking over to Warner Pk
ridge above hotsprings
ridge above hotsprings
Hart Mtn
Hart Mtn
Petroglyph Lk and Poker Jim Ridge
Petroglyph Lk and Poker Jim Ridge
road from Hart Mtn to Steens
road from Hart Mtn to Steens

feldychi

feldychi
PostTue Aug 09, 2016 9:52 am 
Thanks so much everyone. Off for a summer adventure and then will check out your suggestions.... Carrie

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostThu Aug 11, 2016 6:39 am 
We went for 9 days in June for playa, petroglyphs, and geothermal recreation. Be sure to leave yourself plenty of time; it is a roomy landscape:
A dramatic transition from Pacific NW to high desert playa at sunset after 15 hr drive.   Jamie wandered eastward as if in a trance:-)
A dramatic transition from Pacific NW to high desert playa at sunset after 15 hr drive. Jamie wandered eastward as if in a trance:-)
This was used only for establishing the camps; beyond that we walked, rode, and reclined on the expansive playa.
This was used only for establishing the camps; beyond that we walked, rode, and reclined on the expansive playa.
Up the playa
Up the playa
The 9700+ foot block-fault mountain creates the Alvord.  This was camp II located near the remaining flooded portion of the playa, where a diverse shorebird population fed on brine shrimp.
The 9700+ foot block-fault mountain creates the Alvord. This was camp II located near the remaining flooded portion of the playa, where a diverse shorebird population fed on brine shrimp.
Morning genuflection, with camera
Morning genuflection, with camera
It was quite deep so we used our float-toys to laze-about in the pool and enjoy the scenery and silence.
It was quite deep so we used our float-toys to laze-about in the pool and enjoy the scenery and silence.
Ahhhhh... hot water views
Ahhhhh... hot water views
Full-body pecking and representative rendering...; love it.
Late spring snow
Late spring snow
Our mechanical steeds became the favored mode of travel over the many miles of playa.  It was a grand experience.
Our mechanical steeds became the favored mode of travel over the many miles of playa. It was a grand experience.
More on Flickr under "Alvord desert" album.

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
gb

gb
PostThu Aug 11, 2016 8:02 am 
I've only made one trip to the Steens area in May before the road to the top opened. As I said earlier, the west side canyons I visited are brushy beyond short day hike range (or were when I visited a number of years ago). I also visited Strawberry Mountain out of John Day (great city park there) and did a loop circumnavigation. One section of the former trail links (NE of Wildcat Spring) was essentially gone and goes through a burn of some age. It was not that brushy, and not for long in that section. Minor navigation was required. Otherwise, it was a pleasant moderate/long day trip. I would recommend Strawberry Mountain but would warn that there was a big fire there in 2015, so would check the ranger station at John Day to see how (if) conditions are yet now more different. The circumnavigation was on the upper reaches of the 8700' Strawberry Mountain. My information source at the time was Sullivan's 100 Hikes in Eastern Oregon, Second edition of 2008 which turned out to be pretty out of date - though it still worked for me. I don't know if there is a newer version. The hikes at Steens are in the book.

mike

mike
PostFri Aug 12, 2016 10:33 am 
Quote:
I recognize that one smile.gif

Andyt59

Andyt59
PostMon Aug 15, 2016 1:01 pm 
October is generally pretty late to get into the Steens. You'll actually already be into snow season up there so be ready and may even run into road closures as well. I was just up there this past weekend for 3 days (2 nights) at Fish Lake and night time lows are in the 40's. Here is my thread on it here: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8019774 and I also have a dedicated FB page that you are welcome to come join: Steens Mountain Trails

"The road goes on forever and the party never ends."
feldychi

feldychi
PostTue Aug 30, 2016 9:12 pm 
Thanks everyone! Appreciate all the info..... Carrie