Forum Index > Trip Reports > N. Gardner - 28ish miles in the snow uphill both ways (9/3)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
braincloud
Summit Seeker

braincloud
Summit Seeker
PostFri Sep 09, 2016 2:06 pm 
Ya know what? The Wolf Creek trail to Gardner Meadows in the Lake Chelan/Sawtooth Wilderness can go jump off a cliff. Between the 143 fallen trees crisscrossing the trail at the worst height (too tall to climb over, just too short to slide under), the wet brush crowding the tread (pretty sure each leaf held 3 gallons of rainwater), and the loooooonnnnnng slog to Gardner Meadows, it's almost not worth it. Almost. My buddy Mark has it in his mind that he's going to complete the WA County High Point list and North Gardner was still on his to-do. The Okanogan County high point is located outside of Winthrop and our access required hiking the 10.5 miles into Gardner Meadows before a cross-country trek up the ridge and, eventually, summit. We hit rain, snow, hail, sunshine, blue skies, and thunderstorms but still managed to knock this off over Labor Day Weekend. Full trip report, with a million pictures and some video is on my personal blog: North Gardner on MyCrookedPath.com

MyCrookedPath.com The light at the end of my tunnel is a police car.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gray matter

gray matter
PostFri Sep 09, 2016 6:03 pm 
Great report on your site! I encountered similar weather several years back with a significant threat of lightning after I had passed pt. 8487. It was enough to get me to turn back. I was thinking of a quick trip in early October to finish the last few hundred feet, but it sounds like I may need to bring a saw! Nice work! up.gif up.gif

Leafguy

Leafguy
PostFri Sep 09, 2016 7:01 pm 
Hey, maybe the powers that be could authorize chainsaw use after the fire danger is gone so another trail doesn't vanish. Oh wait, that's not in their list of duties in maintaining these areas for recreational use. Sorry for the rant. rant.gif rant.gif rant.gif rant.gif rant.gif rant.gif rant.gif

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostFri Sep 09, 2016 8:41 pm 
Really cool trip report on your blog. What an adventure! I bet you're glad you're done with that one! up.gif

mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostSun Sep 11, 2016 6:54 pm 
I feel your pain. I did it with an overnight in the meadows. By the time I reached the meadows, I was exhausted from crawling over/under all the downed trees. Was going to climb both peaks, but after North Gardner, I figured I would need all my extra energy to hike out.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
braincloud
Summit Seeker

braincloud
Summit Seeker
PostMon Sep 12, 2016 11:10 am 
Ha ha ha, we were planning on nabbing both as well but with the slow going and early camp we decided to forego Gardner and just stick with North. If the trail gets cleared of downfall and brushed out, it would actually be pretty pleasant. Still not spectacular, but much more enjoyable smile.gif

MyCrookedPath.com The light at the end of my tunnel is a police car.
PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostMon Sep 12, 2016 11:36 am 
We had a much more pleasant time of it, but we only did regular Gardner and were invited in for some heavy-handed cocktails by a friendly group of campers embarassedlaugh.gif

monty

monty
PostFri Jun 23, 2017 8:44 pm 
Braincloud, great trip report on your website. If you and/or Mark need buddies for any of the Washington County high points definitely let me know! Cheers up.gif