Forum Index > Trail Talk > Icicle Creek campgrounds
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon Sep 19, 2016 3:58 pm 
We're going to be car camping at one of the Icicle creek campgrounds outside Leavenworth tomorrow. When we go, we've always stayed at 8 mile in the past. Although I've driven past some of the other ones on the way to trail heads, I haven't really checked them out. Does anyone have any strong feelings (positive or negative) regarding the following campground options:
  • Same old Eight Mile
  • Bridge Creek
  • Lower Johnny Creek
  • Upper Johnny Creek
  • Ida Creek
Note that we'll have a trailer, but won't need hook ups. Appreciate any feedback!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostMon Sep 19, 2016 4:06 pm 
I stayed at Upper Johnny Ck this summer and it was quiet with hardly anybody there. The lower campground was bustling in comparison and 100% full on a weekday. It seems everybody wants to be by the creek. I always look for the walk-in sites and there are some nice ones there. I did see several trailers as well. Eight Mile was crazy busy too. At this point in the year, I would guess that most of the campgrounds will be quiet midweek.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Sep 19, 2016 4:39 pm 
I think it was Bridge Creek (but I could be wrong), where Icicle Road is dirt and goes over a bridge immediately next to the CG. It was pleasant. I wasn't alone but the other campers were far away so it was quiet and peaceful. There was more room to stretch your legs, and the river was right there. Much nicer than Eightmile.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostTue Sep 20, 2016 8:50 am 
Bridge Creek is a bit of the ways in on forest road 7601 to the Eightmile, Stuart, Colchuck Trailheads. Drove by it in August, didn't seem that full (visible from Forest Road). Would be fine with a smaller trailer, not sure I'd try to get a behemoth in there. Seems like a great place to stay if you didn't have a permit, and just wanted to day hike one or more of the enchantment zones.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Burg

Burg
PostWed Sep 21, 2016 4:02 pm 
I have camped at them all. I love the LW area. Same old Eight Mile - Meh. Nothing really special about it. Always the busiest since its the first one. Bridge Creek - Small and right on the river. Not private at all as you can see campsites on both sides of you probably. I love camping here in the winter for some snow camping on the river. Lower Johnny Creek - Big campground. Some sites on the river. Site 15 is the best site. Near the bathroom and has the most privacy that I have found. Upper Johnny Creek - Good sites on the opposite side of the road than the river. Usually less busy. Some fairly private sites. Ida Creek - Last campground. Some very good sites. Not a big campground so sites can be slim pick-ins.

delvxe

delvxe
PostWed Sep 21, 2016 9:54 pm 
Ida Creek is great. The sites are huge, private, quiet, and nice views. There are very few sites, so it is difficult to find a site.