Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Early retirement?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mike

mike
PostSat Oct 01, 2016 6:53 pm 
I did what you did drm only starting in my 20's with a 2 year trip. Later in my 30's and 40's with gf, now wife, and daughter. I accept that I'll be working part time for the foreseeable future. No regrets.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Oct 07, 2016 7:56 am 
mike wrote:
No regrets.
up.gif
Quote:
Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

EJ

EJ
PostMon Oct 10, 2016 11:25 pm 
So, those of you who have retired... How do you fill your days after having led a structured work life? If you don't mind sharing some of your ideas, please do. It might turn into inspiration for me! (I was laid off in August after having worked 20+ years as a software engineer. I'm not all that anxious to jump back into that world, at least not yet. So, I'm taking a "sabbatical", which might turn into early retirement. But I'm having trouble filling my days. Hiking only goes so far... and ski season seems so far away...)

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Oct 11, 2016 6:04 am 
I started learning to fiddle and that takes practice. I have 5 acres mostly forested so I can go and make a mess in that. For instance, I decided to burn my slash from the ongoing keeping the road brushed out work yesterday afternoon. Then there's the kayak from hell that I am still working on, last week I took off with my trailer and did some sight seeing and camping, etc. Sometimes I just like to sit outside on a sunny day and read a book. The bad part is that I live on 5 acres in the woods and have to make an effort to be around people. I go into town a couple times a month and play fiddle with a couple of groups. Yes, I got good enough to do that by working at it and enduring some terrible noise.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostTue Oct 11, 2016 9:34 am 
What a problem to have, lol... When I was off ~9 mos years ago I would get the house sorta scraped out and some plan for dinner (or food in the crockpot), then I was out the door until husby came home! Walking/hiking, bike riding, skiing, etc. Slower days I stopped by a local cafe and dropped in on the lovely good ol boy group drinking coffee... Very glad I took the time, many of them are gone now. I was at the lowest weight and felt the best out of any time of my adult life. My dream is to work part time and get some of that back, but that's so far away it may as well be impossible now. bawl.gif

~Mom jeans on wheels
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Oct 11, 2016 10:20 am 
EJ wrote:
So, those of you who have retired... How do you fill your days after having led a structured work life? If you don't mind sharing some of your ideas, please do.
FTR, I still work some, about 20% FT this year. I'm currently busy has heck moving into a new home in a new town and setting up my shop. (It's a big shop, so that's a >2-month project.) I'll have no problem staying busy after we settle in, exploring the mountains on foot and ski, doing projects in the shop (e.g., building bicycle frames, sewing), birdwatching, jogging, bicycling, reading, 2- and 3-day road trips to visit friends, etc., etc. I also plan to do some volunteer work. For me the best plan is no plan. Years ago a eschewed the structured work life, and life got way better real soon.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Oct 11, 2016 11:45 am 
And why do we have to stay busy? I enjoy not being busy...

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
EJ

EJ
PostTue Oct 11, 2016 11:47 am 
Quote:
enduring some terrible noise
Ha ha! I learned to play the violin as a kid, so I remember this phase! (I think it was more my parents and the cats enduring the terrible noise, though.) But that's awesome you learned to play fiddle. It's not easy! Yeah, I know I'm lucky to have this "problem" of time off. When I was working, especially in my last position, I dreamed of the day I could say I was done! Didn't expect it to happen so abruptly and without a full plan in place (I'm a planner at heart...)

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Oct 11, 2016 1:48 pm 
EJ wrote:
So, those of you who have retired... How do you fill your days after having led a structured work life? If you don't mind sharing some of your ideas, please do. It might turn into inspiration for me!
First thing I did (about a year or so before I retired) was to find something interesting and fun to do. I went to work at the climbing wall at our local YMCA. I'm now managing the program, and it's indeed fun, I really enjoy it. I love working at something that I like doing. I'll never get to the capability of some of the "kids" I have working for me, but I try, and I teach what I know. Secondly, I started to build a shop in the back of my garage, and am still at it 3 years later. Between dealing with two aging moms (and their houses) and various other more important priorities, it's taking a while, but I'm getting there. This week maybe even... Then there are the grandkids to visit, mountains "out west" to climb (I've done 3 1/2 so far - I'm expecting to actually complete Adams next year), and so on.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology