Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > grizzly attack story 10-1
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostTue Oct 04, 2016 10:28 am 
I don't hike in grizz country. Not worth the risk. Or the constant nagging fear. I do wonder if the bear spray motivated Mamma Grizz to come back for seconds.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Oct 04, 2016 10:44 am 
Jumble Jowls wrote:
I don't hike in grizz country.
No one can blame you for that. I plan to spend more time in North Idaho in the near future. I am not going to let fear stop me from hiking, but I might be packing heavier iron. What I'm not sure about is a solo over-night trip in griz country. eek.gif When I was young I saw a movie titled "The Night of the Grizzly" scared the hell out of me!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
FootHiker

FootHiker
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 6:33 am 
A couple questions came to mind after reading this. Did the bear eat the pieces she bit into? If not, did he taste too bad? Did the bear spit them out? Did the bear bring some back to her cubs to see if they wanted a bite?

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 3:49 pm 
hey foot hiker ...are you drunk again?

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 9:36 pm 
A weeks ago, a friend posted on Facebook a pic of one of his best friend laying in a hospital bed after a Grizzly attack. The attack took place in the lower 48. I don't know any other details.

WANative

WANative
PostThu Oct 06, 2016 7:43 pm 
FootHiker wrote:
A couple questions came to mind after reading this. Did the bear eat the pieces she bit into? If not, did he taste too bad? Did the bear spit them out? Did the bear bring some back to her cubs to see if they wanted a bite?
She was watching her Cholesterol. Humans are too fatty.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri Oct 07, 2016 7:30 am 
don't hike in grizz country ...whaaat?....so no north wind river range, no idaho-montana bitter-root mountains...MISSION MOUNTAINS south of flathead lake montana was where my uncle took me when I was 14y.o....tons of bear there and hardly any deaths... should get some chiming in here about actually hiking in that type of areas, problems are very very rare! lol.gif not to mention all of canada!

General ****

General ****
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 7:05 pm 
In September, 2016 while moose hunting in Alaska, I inadvertently came between a Sow Grizzly and one of her cubs. At the time I was unaware one of the cubs was less than forty feet (behind and to the right of me), hiding behind a Spruce tree. I could hear the Sow Grizzly gnashing her teeth at me, but I couldn't see her through the tall willow. I could hear a cub with her, and it sounded like the cub was moving away from my direction so I wasn't too concerned about being attacked. After a few more moments of the mother grizzly gnashing her teeth at me, I could hear her also start moving away. Well I was glad that worked out well. Then I looked to my right, and low-and-behold, was little baby grizzly number two; who upon seeing me, ran as fast as it could to catch up with its' mother. Now for those of you who may be unfamiliar with Grizzly talk, the gnashing of teeth means, "Imminent Attack"! But strange as it may sound, I (KNEW) that I was going to be ok throughout the encounter. For a number of days, I had numerous opportunities to shoot any number of Black Bear, but I had no desire to kill, just to kill. With that belief in my head, I knew my Karma would get me through the Grizzly encounter; and it did. General ****

The General primarily backpacks solo.