Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > wood stoves - CO hazard?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
WANative

WANative
PostThu Oct 06, 2016 7:46 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Boats are watertight
Source?
RandyHiker wrote:
Yeah -- I suppose if you sat downwind, close to a campfire inhaling the smoke there would be problems
Ya don't say?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
spamfoote

spamfoote
PostSat Oct 08, 2016 9:44 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
WANative wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
I've never heard of a CO case from a outdoor campfire.
Or from a properly functioning wood stove.
Nice dodge -- exactly how does a campfire malfunction or CO build up outside of a structure? There can be problems with a wood stove's installation that can result in CO poisoning, even though to the casual observer the stove is operating normally -- LINK Seems like the chances of those sorts of problems in a fire lookout are small -- I agree with other posters that a fire lookout is unlikely to be "tight" enough to allow much CO buildup.
Randy... Ever heard of a thing called a chimney..... rolleyes.gif Gasses are going UP it... because... guess what, hot air rises... eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif Shocking basic physics... So, where does the hot CO and CO2 gases go? Up the damned chimney. doof.gif flammable.gif banghead.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Oct 09, 2016 7:32 am 
Yup, hot air rises and if a chimney is working properly, no worries. Most are working properly. New stoves which are not likely to be in a lookout, are "air tight" and fire needs air to burn. That's why they are vented. In a fairly new built house, if the stove is not vented, it tries to suck in air from inside the house and no air is coming into the house from outdoors so the fire won't burn well and I guess you could die, or not. I don't worry about it. From what I've seen, any woodstove in a lookout has been there a while and is not a modern, epa approved super efficient stove. Drafty buildings don't have the same problems, except you'll burn more wood. So, how does the firewood arrive at the lookout? That's what I wonder.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun Oct 09, 2016 7:34 pm 
Well I made it back alive. The woodstove at the Teanaway Guard Station was very well ventilated and made the place so toasty that we had to crack a few windows to cool down. up.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Oct 09, 2016 8:47 pm 
And you are not horking up black stuff out of your lungs either, I assume. smile.gif Life goes on.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSat Oct 15, 2016 10:05 am 
CO - carbon monoxide and CO2 - carbon dioxide are often confused. The names sound the same, they both are colorless and odorless gases, and at high concentrations, both can be deadly. The difference is that CO2 is a common, naturally occurring gas required for all plant and animal life. CO is not common. It is a byproduct of the oxygen-starved combustion of fuel. * CO does not occur naturally in the atmosphere * CO is the result of oxygen-starved combustion in improperly ventilated fuel-burning appliances such as oil and gas furnaces, gas water heaters, gas ovens, gas or kerosene space heaters, fire places and wood stoves * CO is generated by any gasoline engine that DOES NOT use a catalytic converter * It is the most common type of fatal poisoning in the world * CO2 occurs naturally in the atmosphere, and is required for plant life * CO2 is a natural byproduct of human and animal respiration, fermentation, chemical reactions, and combustion of fossil fuels and wood * CO2 is generated by any gasoline engine that DOES use a catalytic converter * CO2 poisoning is rare; however scuba divers have to watch out for it (the bends) * Leaking compressed CO2 tanks in enclosed areas can be dangerous for occupants

WANative

WANative
PostSat Oct 15, 2016 1:30 pm 
cdestroyer wrote:
CO - carbon monoxide and CO2 - carbon dioxide are often confused. The names sound the same, they both are colorless and odorless gases, and at high concentrations, both can be deadly. The difference is that CO2 is a common, naturally occurring gas required for all plant and animal life. CO is not common. It is a byproduct of the oxygen-starved combustion of fuel. * CO does not occur naturally in the atmosphere * CO is the result of oxygen-starved combustion in improperly ventilated fuel-burning appliances such as oil and gas furnaces, gas water heaters, gas ovens, gas or kerosene space heaters, fire places and wood stoves * CO is generated by any gasoline engine that DOES NOT use a catalytic converter * It is the most common type of fatal poisoning in the world
Sort of. C02 is only deadly if it's displacing enough oxygen. This is akin to suffocation. Hemoglobin prefers CO over oxygen thus even at low levels, CO poisoning occurs. Oxygen starved combustion is a misnomer. In a solid, liquid or gaseous fuel device there is no way to achieve a perfectly homogenous mixture so while there can be plenty of oxygen, there will always be HC molecules that don't meet up with enough oxygen molecules. In other words a "clean" fire still emits CO.