Forum Index > Trip Reports > Change Peak and the new multi use trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
whitebark

whitebark
PostWed Sep 21, 2016 11:52 am 
On a sunny Tuesday I rambled up the Change Creek path to visit Change Peak and check out what was happening with the new Olallie multi use trail. Quite a lot as it turned out. The various Change Creek trails eventually took me to the road at the top of the "Great Wall", which forms the divide between Change and Washington Creeks. I wandered north along the road toward Change Peak and soon encountered this scenically placed porta-potti. At nearly 4000' elevation, this must be one of the nicest sani-kan views in Washington.
Loo with a View.
Loo with a View.
Judging by the deluxe bathroom faciity, they must be planning some serious work around here. There is a rumor that the Great Wall Road is to be decommissioned in some way. I hope they keep it hikeable. A little further on I found the road/trail that led me up to the summit of Change Peak. I had never been up there before, and enjoyed the view from its summit. The spur trail leading to the peak was in good condition and easy to hike, except for a short scramble up a talus slope.
Change Peak view
Change Peak view
After the peak visit, I returned back to the main Great Wall road. It offers some nice views, too. Beautiful cumulus clouds were boiling up all around, even thundering a bit, but the weather remained sunny around here.
Hazel enjoys a romp on the Great Wall road
Hazel enjoys a romp on the Great Wall road
Eventually the road descended to the junction with the Change Creek road. Here some serious earth moving equipment, a large backhoe, was parked for the day (it was around 5 pm when I got here). Behind the backhoe, the old Great Wall road had undergone an amazing transformation - it had been converted into a wide trail. That backhoe operator was a true genius. I followed the new trail downhill. To avoid private property the trail left the old Great Wall road at one point and instead followed a newly built route cut into the hillside. Below the new grade, the old Great Wall trail had undergone heavy decommissioning - I don't know if that route is still usable. The part of the trail on private land should be still unmolested, but who knows how many blowdowns block the trail.
new trail
new trail
new trail
new trail
Eventually the new trail led me to a junction with the Mt. Washington Trail. I followed that path all the way down to the Iron Horse Trail and on back to my car. A fun day in the mountains, as always!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostTue Oct 04, 2016 9:07 pm 
Very cool to see some new trails being built. It will be great to have close in options like this in the shoulder season and it's open to bikes too i assume. I Really haven't done much hiking in that area but am planning to soon.

whitebark

whitebark
PostTue Oct 04, 2016 9:36 pm 
Yes, the new trail leading from Cedar Butte will be open to bikes. The idea is to create a continuous trail from Cedar Butte to the Hansen Creek trailhead.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Oct 07, 2016 2:22 am 
Good stuff. Thanks for the report.

Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Oct 07, 2016 9:15 pm 
That trail looks sweet! Whitebark your post inspired me to check out the other end, Hansen Ridge to Carter Creek to the 510 road tonight. I tried to ride to Harris Lake but got timed out. I had to walk back up that hill but was treated to the lower trail to the TH down hill ride. Rocky trails up this way! Really rough on a rigid mtb with drop bars! The lower trail to the Hansen Ridge TH is very nice and has good flow. Saw some evidence horses have been up this way. Pretty cool that it's not all bikers. To be honest the upper trail was too rocky for my liking, hard to get speed. Next time I visit I'll be on foot! Nice ride though.