Previous :: Next Topic
Eric Willhite

Eric Willhite
PostWed Oct 12, 2016 5:39 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostWed Oct 12, 2016 10:32 pm 
In book "Early Hiking in the Olympics" by Paul Crews he has some information about what I think is the AWS site. It is chapter 21 in the book. I don't know anything about a cabin but there are some rock walls built up on Sunnybrook Meadows that I have heard were built for the plane lookout person. Paul Crews visited a friend up there near Constance Pass who was working for the park service. This was in June or July 1942. Here is a paragraph out of the book. "He explained that the batteries were for the radio that he had inside the tent. This camp just below Constance Pass had been established as part of the civil defense effort to watch for unidentified airplanes and I understood that there were a number of these sites throughout the Olympics. He told me that this was not his job although he did oversee it and a couple of high school boys normally manned it. They were currently in Port Townsend for a three-day relief. Swede was just minding the store until they returned."

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Oct 12, 2016 10:44 pm 
Does the trail from the Dose up to Sunnybrook Meadow and Constance Pass still exist?

reststep

reststep
PostThu Oct 13, 2016 12:12 am 
The trail is still there from the Dose to Constance Pass and continues on to Home Lake and Marmot Pass..

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostThu Oct 13, 2016 12:09 pm 
I don't recall seeing any metal or glass debris on the summit of C-141. I camped one night on the "plateau" between C-141 and Stasis, and remember there being a very good spot for my (unnecessary) tent. The stones may have been groomed there long ago to facilitate camping? It was only a few minutes to the top of C-141, expanding the view into the Dose and a bit around the shoulder of Inner Constance. In other words, someone camped on the level would only have to scramble out to C-141 a couple times a day to be an effective lookout. Also, plenty of patches for the snow to linger into late summer for water. I was there in early July and the afterglow behind Deception and the Needles lingered forever and ever. An evening to remember for a lifetime!

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning