Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > wood stoves - CO hazard?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 11:18 am 
I enjoy visiting old fire lookouts, guard stations, and cabins, but I've always wondered - how much of a carbon monoxide hazard is it to use the wood burning stoves in these places? Is cracking a door/window sufficient to reduce CO exposure?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
WANative

WANative
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 11:43 am 
As long as the stove and chimney system is in good working order the chance is less that than just sitting around a campfire.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 11:51 am 
WANative wrote:
the chance is less that than just sitting around a campfire.
What's your source ? I've never heard of a CO case from a outdoor campfire. Most of the cases I've heard of were from people using a BBQ grill inside their house during a power outage or gas stove left burning inside a zipped up tent during cold weather.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 3:40 pm 
I wouldn't think that lookouts are built that tight nor even insulated. It is only recently that woodstoves are vented from the outside and that is due to our new, airtight construction methods.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((ー>

Ski
><((((ー>
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 5:34 pm 
yeah... what WANative said: as long as your damper/door/flue are all functioning properly there shouldn't be any issues. if the stove has not been used in a great while, check to make sure nothing is obstructing the flue/chimney. (i.e., bird nests, squirrel nests, leaves, etc.) my grandmother cooked on a cast iron wood stove down on East 28th Street until they put I-5 through there in 1960. she somehow managed to not kill any of her eight children (not for want of trying, however.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
JVesquire

JVesquire
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 9:57 pm 
If your wood stove is producing enough CO2 to kill you, it is producing enough smoke to run you out of the house. Totally different from a gas grill or other appliance.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Oct 06, 2016 8:20 am 
Thanks all!

WANative

WANative
PostThu Oct 06, 2016 8:31 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
I've never heard of a CO case from a outdoor campfire.
Or from a properly functioning wood stove.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostThu Oct 06, 2016 9:25 am 
CO is odorless, tasteless, and invisible. There are some good resources on the internet that discuss wood burning stoves and CO. CO2 is a different chemical. Some of the advice in this thread is not accurate.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Oct 06, 2016 9:43 am 
WANative wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
I've never heard of a CO case from a outdoor campfire.
Or from a properly functioning wood stove.
Nice dodge -- exactly how does a campfire malfunction or CO build up outside of a structure? There can be problems with a wood stove's installation that can result in CO poisoning, even though to the casual observer the stove is operating normally -- LINK Seems like the chances of those sorts of problems in a fire lookout are small -- I agree with other posters that a fire lookout is unlikely to be "tight" enough to allow much CO buildup.

WANative

WANative
PostThu Oct 06, 2016 1:20 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
exactly how does a campfire malfunction or CO build up outside of a structure?
An enclosed space is not a prerequisite for CO poisoning. http://www.cdc.gov/co/boating.htm

WANative

WANative
PostThu Oct 06, 2016 1:24 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
I agree with other posters that a fire lookout is unlikely to be "tight" enough to allow much CO buildup
This is extremely ignorant. If the stove is leaking into the area, even with a large hole, you can get CO poisoning, especially if you are sleeping. People get CO poisoning on open-decked boats as well as teak surfers hence the sticker required warning of CO poisoning as part of boating safety equipment now. And alas, remember the guy on survivor who passed out and fell into the fire?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Oct 06, 2016 1:37 pm 
WANative wrote:
People get CO poisoning on open-decked boats as well as teak surfers hence the sticker required warning of CO poisoning as part of boating safety equipment now.
Boats are watertight and will collect CO below the gunnel, even when there is no enclosed cabin.
WANative wrote:
And alas, remember the guy on survivor who passed out and fell into the fire?
Never watched "Survivor" -- but at least now you've answered my original question: "What's your source ?". Yeah -- I suppose if you sat downwind, close to a campfire inhaling the smoke there would be problems -- that scenario hardly seems helpful to the OP's question and concerns.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Oct 06, 2016 5:23 pm 
I can see another argument brewing. I've heated with a woodstove for some time. My only close call was when a group of people came to my house to stay the night and because they were cold, they messed with the woodstove. It was in an old house so the chimney had one of those metal plates to block the old chimney hole. I had to leave for a little bit. They turned up the temp control on the stove to HIGH and left it. I came back to find the metal plate glowing and the woodstove too hot. I dampered it down and no fires occurred. I'd say that people burning down the lookout or cabin would be more of a worry than dying from whatever poisoning. You know, it could actually be researched on......the internet and maybe some SCIENCE found. I've inhaled a lot of smoke and know of nobody collapsing except when tripping over a rock or obstacle trying to blindly get out of the smoke. Generally, people have to leave because their eyes are in pain and breathing turns into coughing, so they don't pass out. I do get headaches when an area gets overly smoky--that would be another sign/warning that something is amiss.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Oct 06, 2016 5:50 pm 
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/9688902/Wood-burning-stoves-can-cause-lethal-carbon-monoxide-poisoning-warns-HPA.html More A drafty building will supply an old fashioned wood stove with air so the chimney drafts properly and you won't die. But you can always crack open a window or door or pack a carbon monoxide alarm with you if you are worried. Old fashioned means no vent pipe on the stove that is plumbed to the outside or crawlspace so air is not sucked from inside the building. Think good drafting through a proper chimney.