Eric Willhite

Eric Willhite
PostSat Oct 15, 2016 12:59 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Here is some light reading for a rainy day:

Corrigenda Butte Trip Report

Anyone ever heard of "Corrigenda Butte"
Anyone ever heard of "Corrigenda Butte"
Where I think "Corrigenda Butte" is located.
Where I think "Corrigenda Butte" is located.

--------------
Taking a break from peakbagging to do some lookout bagging.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
meck

meck
PostSat Oct 15, 2016 3:49 pm 
I'm really digging these trip reports Eric!  Its cool to read about how all of these foothill high points have been used as Lookouts/AWS watch sites (I may have to go visit these this winter).  Please keep the TRs coming.

--------------
*pain is just your body telling you "you're doing it wrong"*
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
RodF

RodF
PostSat Oct 15, 2016 3:55 pm 
Fabulous, intriguing and inspiring research and detective work, Eric!

p.s. On your Constance Lookout (aka C-141 Peak) page, the panoramic photos are a fabulous find, but it appears their  legends "Looking North" and "Looking East" are interchanged?  Also, the 1950 map is unknown to me; is that a Metsker map?

--------------
"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir
"the wild is not the opposite of cultivated.  It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Eric Willhite

Eric Willhite
PostSat Oct 15, 2016 4:11 pm 
RodF wrote:
is that a Metsker map

Yes, a Jefferson County 1950 Metsker map.  Crazy how only this map ever had the lookout shown, that I could find.

The Constance images are pretty close to North and East.  The one saying East is really NE.  You can see Constance Pass on the left side of the picture.  The right side is Inner Constance.

The North image has Dungeness Creek Valley on the left with Inner Constance in the middle and Mt. Warrior on the right.  So it is a bit East and North.

--------------
RodF

RodF
PostSun Oct 16, 2016 7:51 pm 
re  Constance Lookout - C-141 Peak, please check again, Eric?  The upper photo is looking west (or WNW), not NE as you typed above, nor East as labelled.  Its view is to the left or CCW from the lower photo, labelled North.  East isn't left of North, west is.

Was this photo in a file labelled "lookout panos" or is there any other confirmation C-141 Peak was used by as a lookout site?  It's an intriguing hypothesis, but I've found many errors in backcountry trail routes and shelter locations on Metsker maps, so would advise against relying on that alone.

Apologies for posting this in the wrong thread!

--------------
"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir
"the wild is not the opposite of cultivated.  It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Eric Willhite

Eric Willhite
PostMon Oct 17, 2016 1:29 am 
RodF wrote:
upper photo is looking west (or WNW), not NE

My goodness, yes, everywhere I wrote "East" I was thinking west but writing "East".  That's so crazy because I went back and looked for a long time at the images wondering why you felt the need to correct me when they were in the correct "general" direction.  I'll get that switched around, thanks!

This location is not hypothesis, these panos were more of a confirmation.  I am basing my information on Ray Kresek's "Lookout Inventory - Revised 2015"  A fire lookout named: "Mt. Constance" is listed at an elevation of 7327.  The elevation matches the older USGS map elevation for C-141 peak.  I'm assuming Ray got this information from a legitimate source in the NPS or FS archives.  The Lookout Inventory also has the location correct in Sect. 11, T26N R4W. 

The Metsker map is also just a confirmation and not what I was relying on. 

I do take issue with the idea that Metsker Maps were incorrect with fire lookouts.  I have been told this several times.  As far as I can recall, I have not found one incorrect fire lookout on a Metsker Map.   Now, there have been a few lookouts shown on Metsker that have not been proven yet, but nobody has been able to show me a lookout on a Metsker Map and definitively prove that there was never a lookout there.

--------------
RodF

RodF
PostTue Oct 25, 2016 1:56 pm 
Eric, at NWhiker Ranger Bruce's suggestion, I phoned Linda Tudor of Brinnon.  She once lived in the cabin you tentatively identified as a possible Corringenda Butte Lookout site

The roadbed to the butte was a 1920s-era logging railroad spur off the main logging railroad bed which is now Mt. Jupiter Road.  The 1930s maps show this rail line had already been removed and depict it as a roadbed.

T. B. Balch owned this parcel because it includes a clear perennial spring.  A concrete retaining dam and pipeline was added to supply spring water to the Balch home and later subdivision below on Hood Canal.  This water source is maintained and remains in use today.  Balch built no buildings on the parcel.

Linda Tudor and her former husband bulldozed the driveway (visible on the 1994 aerial) from the road (former railroad bed) to the cabin, and added the deck and solar power panels on the two steel poles you photographed on the corners of the cabin.  In about 1993, they sold the property to Clarence Land, who owned the adjacent parcel to the east.  He abandoned the cabin.

Linda says the lookout was not at the cabin.  The lookout was on the highest point of the butte (1585' on the current USGS Brinnon topo, 1720' on the 1936 USGS Point Misery topo) to the west, in the logged parcel owned by Green Crow.  She recalls the leveled site of the lookout building on the butte's summit, and an adjacent shallow pit containing lots of debris from it.  No concrete foundation remained (or she suggests maybe ever existed, if it was a temporary structure built on skids).

Of the cabin on the knob to the east of the butte, Linda confirms your first working theory "1) This was a homestead and that is all it ever was, no AWS involved."

--------------
Eric Willhite

Eric Willhite
PostTue Oct 25, 2016 4:14 pm 
Thanks Rod!  So many questions answered!  I'll redo the page and remove lots of what ifs and unrelated pictures.

--------------
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Corrigenda Butte - Unknown History
  Happy Birthday foofoofunky!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: