Forum Index > Trip Reports > City of Rocks - Oct 2016
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Oct 19, 2016 6:06 pm 
Our trip to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons was cut short by snow so we headed southwest looking for alternatives. We first thought of heading to Craters of the Moon but they too were getting snow so after spending the night in Burley, Idaho, we decided to head for the City of Rocks.
This is a granite formation just above the Utah border that's been popular with climbers since the 80's and was designated a National Reserve, administered by the National Park Service in 1988. Nearby is Castle Rock State Park, part of the same formation. Wikipedia says "The City of Rocks is a popular rock climbing area, with over 1,000 traditional and bolt-protected routes. In the 1980s, it was home to some of the most difficult routes in the USA, mostly developed by Idaho climber Tony Yaniro. Climbers in the region refer to the area as simply 'The City'."
climber on Castle Rock
1 label
climber on Castle Rock
There's a lower, deluxe campground with complete hookups, showers, etc., or dispersed camping among the rocks. We found a nice protected site next to a large boulder. Pit toilets are scattered throughout the area and were the cleanest I've seen anywhere. Water is only available at a spigot near Bath Rock, where you also self-register for your campsite.
The California Trail ran through the City and several rocks have signatures from the 200,000 pioneers that drove their wagons through from 1843-1882.
There's many miles of trails through the area and easy scrambling to vantage points. We spent 4 nights here and would like to have stayed longer.
pinyon pine nuts
pinyon pine nuts
Cattle drive through the campground
Cattle drive through the campground
We approached this area from Burley down through Oakley but ended up on many miles of rough road. Hiway 77 is paved all the way to Almo, where the visitor's center is located and is a much better way to go from I-84. The visitor's center has free trail maps and guides to the area. There's also a climbers guide - City of Rocks Idaho: A Climber's Guide

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Oct 19, 2016 6:32 pm 
Cool. I spent a couple days climbing there with several buddies in the late 90's. Good stuff. What is that little critter next to the trekking pole? Looks like an ant/bee/cricket hybrid! Weird.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 19, 2016 6:35 pm 
would I be correct in assuming those rock formations are sandstone that was carved into those weird shapes by wind and sand? what's up with the cistern in image #32? man-made or natural? really interesting photos. up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Oct 20, 2016 6:45 am 
I've never seen an insect like that before. Ski - this is all granite. That cistern is natural.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostThu Oct 20, 2016 7:51 am 
Schroder wrote:
I've never seen an insect like that before.
Nor have I! It should be called the Piltdown Cricket. It is in the genus Gryllus I believe.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Abert

Abert
PostThu Oct 20, 2016 8:23 am 
Actually, that bug appeared on nwhikers just a couple years ago. I saw them quite a bit growing up in Southern California and called them potato bugs. It's always neat when driving around in the West to come upon one of the old wagon trails. I stood up near the Twin Sisters when I visited City of Rocks trying to trace the route as it left the Reserve. The last couple of years I've stayed east of Sublett on my way to Utah in the spring. There's a sign for the California Trail up above Sublett Reservoir for what I guess is Hudspeth's Cutoff, a branch of the California Trail coming out of the mountains down Sublett Creek east of I-84 and across the plain before heading toward City of Rocks.

Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Oct 20, 2016 8:44 am 
I found it - Jerusalem Cricket (Stenopelmatus)

RichP

RichP
PostThu Oct 20, 2016 9:19 am 
Amazing landscape. I know this is a popular area for climbers, but it looks like a good place to walk around too. Thanks for the tip on the campground. up.gif

mike

mike
PostThu Oct 20, 2016 9:51 am 
Abert wrote:
There's a sign for the California Trail up above Sublett Reservoir for what I guess is Hudspeth's Cutoff, a branch of the California Trail coming out of the mountains down Sublett Creek east of I-84 and across the plain before heading toward City of Rocks.
The CA Trail route is signed by volunteers at Trails West. They sign many of the old routes and produce very good guides. Once you see one of their sturdy sign posts you can spot them all over S-OR, N-CA, ID and NV. Here is one of the two signs at CofRks showing the exit west. Wagon ruts are visible if you walk it. It does not follow the current road which goes by Twin Sisters Rock.

Bugs

Bugs
PostThu Oct 20, 2016 12:06 pm 
Quartz Monzanite to be more specific. It forms at the top of granite batholiths while still deep underground resulting in the pillow shoped formations. The weaker parts are the result of mixing with the melted indigenous bedrock (which has now eroded away).

Always out there.
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostThu Oct 20, 2016 5:58 pm 
Filed away for future reference. That's the kind of car camping we love. Does this area get blistering hot in the summer?

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Oct 20, 2016 6:13 pm 
husband and i finally made it to the City, but the rain came uninvited. very cool place! must go back when it's drier and warmer! thanks for all the great photos up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Oct 21, 2016 11:26 am 
puzzlr wrote:
Does this area get blistering hot in the summer?
I don't think so. Climate data shows July highs of 83 in Oakley and COR is above 6000 ft, the high point almost 9000 ft. Diverse wildflowers here & I would expect it to be pretty colorful in Spring. Lupine was still in bloom.

mike

mike
PostFri Oct 21, 2016 12:00 pm 
Mid May was cloudy and pull-over/jacket required. Spring was just starting to show. FWIW we exited via Oakley to Burley and the road was fine and a pleasant drive. Did you get off route? We entered from the east via booming Naf and the road was good gravel.

Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Oct 21, 2016 1:40 pm 
Birch Creek Road from Oakley was a washboard. Maybe they just graded it in May.