Forum Index > Trip Reports > Scotland - Highlands/Cullin Mts.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mustang sal

mustang sal
PostThu Oct 13, 2016 9:40 am 
In August my daughter and I traveled to Scotland for some hiking and time together. While researching the trip everyone I talked to warned me about the constant rain, fog, wind and midges. We were lucky and had sunshine during the day and midges only at dusk. I found appealing hikes by using a website similar to nwhikers. www.walkhighlands.co.uk has two major differences from nwhikers – there is a bog rating illustrated with swamp like plants on a scale of 1 to 5. If a route merits a 5 a snorkel is recommended. Some hike reports have a midge rating illustrated with images of the pesky, iconic beasts. We stayed a couple of nights in Glencoe, which is in the Highlands, which is spectacular. Our first hike was a ‘twofer’ in that our chosen hike had 3,000 foot peaks that were connected by a ridge. I chose Buachaille Etieve Beag and Stob Coire Raineach as there was a trail the whole way and so no chance of getting lost in the much touted fog that sweeps in and covers the landscape. Both were Munros. A fellow named Munro documented all the 3,000 foot peaks and thus anything over 3,000 is called a Munro. People keep lists of the Munros they climb, and celebrate when they have tagged all of the summits. We climbed the Pap of Glencoe the next day via the direct route and ended up navigating class 3 Bracken fern that was about 4 feet tall. On the Isle of Skye in the Cullin Range we hired Mike from Kintail Guide Service and climbed Bruach na Firthe – a mostly class 2 scramble with a couple of class 3 moves. This was a fun climb complete with waterfalls, carnivorous plants, peat bogs, sweeping views. We also hiked the Quiraing on the Trottenish Peninsula which was more of a tourist route but definitely worth while. Picture sweeping green hillsides tumbling down to the ocean with sheep and old stone cabins for accent. I was impressed by the lack of development in the Highlands and the Isle of Skye so the hikes/climb felt surprisingly wild despite being able to see roads. We had two summits to ourselves perhaps because most hikers started much later than we did. I have great photos but can't seem to post them here. confused.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mike

mike
PostThu Oct 13, 2016 10:00 am 
mustang sal wrote:
I have great photos.....
waiting..... We hiked in the same areas a couple of years ago and plan to go back soon so looking for ideas.

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostThu Oct 13, 2016 2:21 pm 
Cool to have a report from an area we don't often hear about.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
sooperfly

sooperfly
PostFri Oct 14, 2016 4:05 pm 
Thanks for the report! That's the area where all the relatives on my pops side of the family lives. Make it to Oban?

mustang sal

mustang sal
PostFri Oct 14, 2016 8:42 pm 
No, didn't make it to Oban. Had to pick and choose as we had limited time. Hope you get to visit sometime!

mustang sal

mustang sal
PostFri Oct 14, 2016 8:43 pm 
PM me if you want ideas....

Jackal

Jackal
PostFri Oct 14, 2016 10:49 pm 
You made good choices. My wife and I renewed our vows in the Quiraing though regretfully never got into the Cuillins. If you want a great read on extended walks in England and Scotland, try The Old Ways by Robert MacFarlane. Not a hiking guide but really rich in experiences and history.

Celticclimber

Celticclimber
PostSun Oct 16, 2016 2:27 pm 
I was just in Scotland end of April into May. Climbed in the Knoytdart area. Never thought to write about it here. But it seems to generate interest. So next year I will. I agree about the Robert Mac Farlane book. Nice read. Anyone interested in Scottish walks/mountaineering might want to check out the: Walkhighlands Newsletter. It is a bit like NW Hiker: Low key and local. Slanite Mhath a H-uile duine

Live every day like you will die to-marrow. For some day that will be true.
mike

mike
PostSun Oct 16, 2016 4:06 pm 
ditto.gif on MacFarlane. He penned some other interesting reads too, e.g Wild Places. walkhighlands.co.uk has all the hikes as mentioned and they publish the newsletter. I picked up this book in a used bookshop in Stirling but it's available here too. Everything you want to know about all of The Munros. Right now I'm reading this one. Everything about The Scottish Islands. Research for our next trip. Looking for ideas. Probably go end of Ap into June as that's the driest time and least bugs.

mustang sal

mustang sal
PostSun Oct 16, 2016 5:39 pm 
Thanks for the book suggestion! And what a place to renew your vows!

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostThu Oct 20, 2016 8:12 pm 
Nice trip. up.gif Thanks for the memories. One of the coldest nights I have ever spent indoors was at a B & B on the Isle of Skye. It was the end of September and they had not started up the "heating system" yet. My 6 month pregnant wife and three year old daughter and I shivered under a couple of blankets all night long until morning coffee when we could get back in the rent car and turn the heater on!