Forum Index > Trip Reports > 2016-09-24 Mt Healy Overlook - Denali NP
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostMon Oct 24, 2016 7:32 pm 
Recently Megan and I went to Fairbanks, Alaska. I shamelessly bagged some low hanging fruit while she was busy in town. Our trip was short but we made time to visit to Denali National Park for part of a day.
The main visitor center had closed about 10 days prior to our arrival much to my sadness.
We perused the maps and decided to hike up to the Mt Healy Overlook. The trail is about 2.5 miles up and roughly 2,000' I think.
There were low hanging clouds towards Denali but we had hopes that we'd get lucky and get at least a cameo appearance by her. The other direction we got some pretty decent mountain views with dark clouds overhead.
This trail gets a lot of use like any trail close to a visitor center (memories of Paradise flashed through my head). Lucky for us we were well past the typical tourism season.
We reached treeline and our objective wasn't far above us and views from the valley below were grand.
We didn't stick around long at the overlook as it was windy and chilly at the overlook and we had to get back to Fairbanks.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostMon Oct 24, 2016 7:47 pm 
Good to hear from you guys. I hope all is well in Ohio. Great looking beard!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message