Forum Index > Gear Talk > Hand and Toe warmers
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostMon Oct 24, 2016 1:08 pm 
Now available in bulk boxes at Costco. The expiry date on both types purchases last week is 2020.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Oct 24, 2016 10:15 pm 
The air activated packs can be turned off and on by sealing them in a layer or two of ziplock bags, with the air mostly squeezed out. I used to do that for a half hour walking commute in the winter. I could get a week out of a package of handwarmers, instead of going though 5 pairs a week. Also good for hiking when you start out on a cold morning and only need them for a bit of a start....and similar situations.

friluftsliv
wildling

wildling
PostWed Oct 26, 2016 9:28 am 
I have accidentally packed them up in my sleeping bag during over nighters and found they work the next night too!

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostWed Oct 26, 2016 4:55 pm 
I'll put a plug in for one of my favorite pieces of backpacking gear that you can use these hand warmers in. https://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/mens-versaliner.html Great set of fleece gloves and water proof shells that you can use separately depending on conditions. They have a zippered pocket for hand warmers. Total weight is under three ounces for a size large. Perfect for three season PNW use.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Oct 26, 2016 6:27 pm 
InFlight wrote:
I'll put a plug in for one of my favorite pieces of backpacking gear that you can use these hand warmers in. https://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/mens-versaliner.html Great set of fleece gloves and water proof shells that you can use separately depending on conditions. They have a zippered pocket for hand warmers. Total weight is under three ounces for a size large. Perfect for three season PNW use.
These are awesome! cool.gif up.gif I have used them for a couple of years now. Extremely versatile, and they work well with the handwarmers (or without). I bought a second pair just in case they stop making them, and I never do that. The only down side is they are not "e-touch" compatible on the fingertips. A sad oversight. They must be removed to use your phone or touch GPS etc. Although I have altered my pair with conductive thread in one of the fingertips to work with touch screens.

friluftsliv
dla

dla
PostWed Nov 09, 2016 2:32 pm 
Why not use a Zippo handwarmer? The large one will go all night in your sleeping bag.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Nov 09, 2016 5:20 pm 
dla wrote:
Why not use a Zippo handwarmer? The large one will go all night in your sleeping bag.
Aren't those rather heavy? Especially if using them for handwarmers and foot warmers, which would require 4 of them. Maybe if you just used one to warm your sleeping bag, it would be a good choice?

friluftsliv
dla

dla
PostThu Nov 10, 2016 12:38 pm 
Given that they are refillable - I don't see what the weight issue is. They are not flexible, so they're not a boot warmer. Anyways, just wondering. I use them and like them.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Nov 10, 2016 12:56 pm 
The zippo's are great and will work with high quality white gas. They can be used to "pre-warm" boots -- which is very helpful in the morning -- but they can't be worn "in the boot" The Zippo's and all oxygen consuming warmers contain all sorts of warnings about not using them while sleeping -- just like stoves and tents contain all sorts of warnings about never using a stove inside a tent -- which are routinely ignored by winter campers.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Nov 10, 2016 2:45 pm 
I have a couple Zippo handwarmers that I use for winter flyfishing. I feel they work well enough with the "odorless" Zippo fuel, but are no warmer than the disposable type. I do not use the Ronsonol lighter fluid as that stuff has a pretty strong odor. 2 questions for the audience: 1) Do they work better (warmer) with white gas? 2) Does anyone know of a good inexpensive source for the "catalytic" burner elements on the top? I wouldn't mind buying a half dozen as they do wear out with use.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Nov 10, 2016 2:51 pm 
While poking around for replacement catalytic burner elements I came across these: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=P3IP8420&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=p3ip8420&gclid=COb9yeaVn9ACFQ8vaQodPqMBgA Does anyone have any experience with this type?

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Nov 10, 2016 3:45 pm 
Schenk wrote:
2) Does anyone know of a good inexpensive source for the "catalytic" burner elements on the top? I wouldn't mind buying a half dozen as they do wear out with use.
I see Amazon has the elements for $6- 7 each. How long do the elements last? Between the intial cost, weight for packing a few of these, carrying extra "special" fuel, replacing elements, lack of flexibility in placement due to bulk and rigidity( I like to slip the chem rxn type in socks and hats and back of gloves at various times), I am not seeing a convincing argument to switch. What am I missing?

friluftsliv
dla

dla
PostThu Nov 10, 2016 4:12 pm 
Here is a write up on Zippo warmers. Yes they work really well with Coleman fuel. They also work with alcohol - but I think they smell funny. They don't get hot enough to melt a sandwich bag. Supposedly the catalytic element is good for ~80 burns - but I don't count and I've never had one wear out. You can buy replacements online. Better than a pee bottle if you don't have to pee. smile.gif I'd have to put one in a box with a CO alarm to see if they create enough CO to be concerned about.

dla

dla
PostThu Nov 10, 2016 6:01 pm 
I put one in a 2 gallon ziplock bag along with a First Alert CO detector (400 ppm). After 14 minutes the CO alarm sounded. I removed the Zippo and found it still running. The Zippo was running on Coleman camp fuel. So what did I learn? The Zippo will eventually deplete the Oxygen in the bag but continue to combust inefficiently - producing enough Carbon Monoxide to trip the detector. (I did this experiment with a votive candle, and the candle went out after 4 minutes without triggering the detector). So the Zippo will produce CO if starved for O2. Lesson: don't sleep in a plastic bag with a running Zippo.