Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Scattering ashes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Oct 25, 2016 9:47 pm 
So you want to have your ashes scattered at Mt. Rainier? If you're Catholic, fugeddaboudit.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Oct 25, 2016 10:00 pm 
As I recall, the National Park Service takes a dim view of scattering cremation ashes within their boundaries. The solution, of course (Catholic or otherwise) is "Don't ask, Don't tell."
ER Murrow, commenting on the Seattle Times article wrote:
"It's not Kansas anymore"

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Oct 26, 2016 3:36 am 
Ski wrote:
As I recall, the National Park Service takes a dim view of scattering cremation ashes within their boundaries.
The NPS has a form for that https://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/upload/sup-info-scattering-ashes-july2012.pdf https://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/upload/New-SUP-Application-Form-Scatter-Ashes.doc I scattered my mother's ashes on the Sea of Cortez per her wishes.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Oct 26, 2016 6:40 am 
I did the same with my fathers ashes in the North Cascades. A place he and I had both hiked, 50 years apart from each other.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostWed Oct 26, 2016 8:33 am 
A few years back someone 'scattered' ashes *in* the summit register box on Rainier. That seems ill-advised. Aside from that, yes, I'd say don't ask, don't tell is just fine. The leadership down there is all about regulating everything except themselves, but I see no harm in scattering ashes in a non-invasive manner. Carry on.

If not now, when?
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Oct 26, 2016 8:39 am 
We scattered Kitten's ashes on the PCT near Grasshopper Pass. frown.gif

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostWed Oct 26, 2016 9:31 am 
This fall we put my mother's ashes out on Peaches ridge, in a meadow with a beautiful view of Mt Rainier. Her instructions, neatly hand written in the hospice paperwork: "On the ground, in a nice spot, hike in". She was a devout Christian and freely admitted this was a symbolic gesture entirely for the benefit of the folks left behind... meanwhile, she wasn't gonna be missing us at all, lol. I like to think of it as the release point for the last carbon atoms she borrowed from the universe. My reading of scripture doesn't suggest a conflict there, but... to each their own.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Oct 26, 2016 10:01 am 
cascadeclimber wrote:
A few years back someone 'scattered' ashes *in* the summit register box on Rainier. That seems ill-advised. ... I see no harm in scattering ashes in a non-invasive manner.
Leaving ashes in the summit register seems like an odd and inconsiderate thing to do and to request of your loved ones to do with your remains. The NPS rules primarily seem concerned with the number of people gathered for the scattering -- I think to avoid meadow stomping from a large group and from disrupting the experience of other visitors.
Quote:
Restrictions and Conditions Party size determines which locations in the park may be used for the spreading of ashes. 1-12 participants: may use wilderness and primitive areas as well as many roadside locations. 13-24 participants: may not use wilderness or primitive locations, but may use certain pre-determined locations along trails at Paradise and Sunrise; may also use locations along roads such as pullouts. 25-60 participants: limited to roadside locations. If group size is over 12, this activity may not take place at Paradise or Sunrise between the hours of 12:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. on weekends due to congestion. Cremated remains must be pulverized and fully dispersed. Ashes may not be dispersed within 100 yards of any body or water or in a developed area. Ashes may not be spread within half a mile of Tipsoo or Reflection Lakes. No container, urn, or memorial markers may be left within park boundaries. Ceremonies may not impede the activities of other visitors. Outdoor areas will not be closed off during ceremonies and parking may not be reserved.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 26, 2016 10:12 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
The NPS has a form for that
News to me. Either I was misinformed or the regs at ONP are different. (But I wouldn't be at all surprised by misinformation from an NPS staffer.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostWed Oct 26, 2016 10:38 am 
Ski wrote:
Either I was misinformed or the regs at ONP are different.
Olympic National Park requires a permit but does not charge a fee for a "memorial permit."

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 26, 2016 11:28 am 
well... again... it comes as no surprise that whoever it was I talked with didn't know what they were talking about. wink.gif

Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Oct 27, 2016 10:37 am 
There are a couple of previous threads on this topic: Spreading ashes of the deceased in Wilderness Scattering ashes

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostThu Oct 27, 2016 12:17 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
The NPS rules primarily seem concerned with the number of people gathered
Don't get me started. They routinely look the other way for guide service groups, masses of Mountaineers getting schooled on the Nisqually, etc. Trampling fragile meadows isn't an issue related to group size, it's related to group behavior: One person traipsing through heather can set it back many years. And by FAR the worst I've seen in MORA is within a few hundred yards of the Paradise parking lot. It was so bad that after about the 10th group I finally said something to a collection of tourons standing IN wildflowers for a photo. No park staff anywhere on the trails. MANY wandering the parking lot.

If not now, when?
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostSat Oct 29, 2016 8:07 pm 
Quote:
The new document from the Vatican’s Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith repeats that burial remains preferred, with officials calling cremation a “brutal destruction” of the body. But it lays out guidelines for conserving ashes for the increasing numbers of Catholics who choose cremation for economic, ecological or other reasons.
Being consumed by maggots and worms isn't brutal but burning is. I'm glad I'm a recovering cathaholic. I switched to Lutheranism when the child-molesting catholic priest refused to marry my wife and I outside because it wasn't in God's house. Agreed. Don't ask don't tell. Rules are made to be broken.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Oct 30, 2016 4:01 am 
Layback wrote:
Being consumed by maggots and worms isn't brutal but burning is. I'm glad I'm a recovering cathaholic. I switched to Lutheranism when the child-molesting catholic priest refused to marry my wife and I outside because it wasn't in God's house.
Wow, now that's weird. "God's house" is legitimately more outside than inside some man-made structure.
Layback wrote:
Agreed. Don't ask don't tell. Rules are made to be broken.
up.gif Usually. I believe many (most?) of our society's "rules", policies and even laws are in place as a result of the lazy among us trying to deal with the stupid among us. 100' from a water body? Yeah, probably an ok idea, but I doubt ANYthing in cremated remains would contain anything remotely problematic from a health standpoint. Use good sense, "don't ask, don't tell" and carry on....

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology