Forum Index > Support & Feedback > Why facebook won't work for sharing your images anywhere but facebook
Previous :: Next Topic  
Tom
Admin

Tom

Admin
PostWed Oct 26, 2016 11:48 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Edit:  looks like there is no way to allow folks to post their facebook photos here - facebook will expire your photo links after some period of time and there is no way to embed a permanent link.  I guess facebook ultimately wants to force everyone to view content on facebook.  Short story, do not embed facebook images here.  It will only lead to broken links after a few months.

I'm currently working on integrating facebook into our "pics" feature to make it easier to post facebook images in trip reports.  Can you report back how long it takes each of the links below to scan your facebook photo albums as well as number of albums.  Hit refresh a few times and ignore the first reading.

Edit:  it looks like this will only work for "test" users (until facebook reviews and approves).  If anyone want to be added as a tester please let me know and I will add you to the list.

http://www.nwhikers.net/fb.html?id=albums
http://www.nwhikers.net/fb.html

Note: you will need to grant NWH permission to access your facebook photos (a window will pop up).

The first link should be faster since it only grabs the list of albums.  The second link also grabs images and captions so should be slower, but I'm not sure by how much as I don't have many albums on facebook to test.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
RandyHiker
Snarky Member

RandyHiker

Snarky Member
PostThu Oct 27, 2016 4:34 am 
Error message: "App Not Setup: This app is still in development mode, and you don't have access to it. Switch to a registered test user or ask an app admin for permissions."
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
awilsondc
Scramblin' Fool

awilsondc

Scramblin' Fool
PostThu Oct 27, 2016 7:21 am 
same error

App Not Setup: This app is still in development mode, and you don't have access to it. Switch to a registered test user or ask an app admin for permissions.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Tom
Admin

Tom

Admin
PostThu Oct 27, 2016 11:00 am 
OK, should be publicly available now.  Give it another try.
RandyHiker
Snarky Member

RandyHiker

Snarky Member
PostThu Oct 27, 2016 11:19 am 
On I7 MacBook Pro running Win10

Chrome
http://www.nwhikers.net/fb.html?id=albums 2975 milliseconds, first time, 328 milliseconds second time
http://www.nwhikers.net/fb.html 308 milliseconds (Both times)

Edge
http://www.nwhikers.net/fb.html?id=albums 4061 milliseconds, first time, 922 milliseconds second time
http://www.nwhikers.net/fb.html 616 milliseconds, 1061 milliseconds,
Tom
Admin

Tom

Admin
PostThu Oct 27, 2016 11:29 am 
Thanks, can you also indicate number of albums.  You may need to hit refresh to get the latest version.  The main thing I'm looking for is whether there's a significant difference the more albums there are.  If not, might as well grab everything at once when implementing the pics feature.
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker

PostThu Oct 27, 2016 6:40 pm 
First link: 1334 milliseconds
Albums: 0

Second link: 1631 milliseconds

But I know I have albums!

By the way, I really like the responsive changes. Much easier to read on a phone or tablet.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere

Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Oct 27, 2016 7:04 pm 
First Link:

First try:
9942 milliseconds

2nd try:
538 milliseconds

3rd try:
518 milliseconds

Second Link:
First try:
495 milliseconds

2nd try:
533 milliseconds

I have 42 albums.

--------------
Photo Portfolio
Tom
Admin

Tom

Admin
PostThu Oct 27, 2016 7:44 pm 
Not sure what's going on.  For those of you that don't see any albums can you go here:

https://developers.facebook.com/docs/graph-api/reference/v2.8/album/

Click on: Graph API Explorer

On the next page click on: Get Token > Get User Access Token

make sure user_photos is checked and then click on: Get Access Token

Then replace {album-id} with me/albums and hit submit.

Does it show you any albums?
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere

Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Oct 27, 2016 8:09 pm 
Yes, it shows my albums when I do that.  "user_photos" was not checked by default when I got to that step, if it matters.

--------------
Photo Portfolio
Tom
Admin

Tom

Admin
PostThu Oct 27, 2016 8:13 pm 
Thanks, I think I figured out the problem.  Looks like facebook is only giving us access to your profile, not photos.  Not sure how to fix it but I think I need to tinker with the authorization settings.
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere

Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Oct 27, 2016 8:17 pm 
If it helps - the notification I got when I first clicked the links you provided said that Facebook would have access to my public profile.  My security settings are such that the public cannot see my photo albums.  Perhaps that's at the root of the problem?

--------------
Photo Portfolio
Tom
Admin

Tom

Admin
PostThu Oct 27, 2016 8:44 pm 
It looks like we have to submit things for facebook review before we can access user photos.  Until then it will only work for "test" users.

https://developers.facebook.com/docs/facebook-login/permissions/#reference-user_photos

I added those who responded so far as test users.  It should work now (but only for you until facebook reviews and approves).  If anyone else wants to be added as a tester let me know.

Also, it seems there is a limit of 25 albums per call so i'll need to tweak things to get all albums.
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker

PostSun Oct 30, 2016 8:58 am 
After that change, now I get:

first link: 6882 milliseconds
Albums: 25

Second link: 1773 milliseconds
Albums: 25

Second one shows lots of pictures!
Tom
Admin

Tom

Admin
PostFri Dec 30, 2016 9:17 pm 
Well, so much for trying to make it easy for folks to post facebook images here.  Not really an option.  See OP.  Really can't stand the arrogance of companies like facebook.  I thought google photos was bad (they did their best to make it hard to post content externally after "retiring" picasa) but facebook takes the cake. down.gif
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Support & Feedback > Why facebook won't work for sharing your images anywhere but facebook
  Happy Birthday Flash Gordon, raz2sea!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: