Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Purdy Lookout
Previous :: Next Topic  
Eric Willhite

Eric Willhite
PostThu Oct 27, 2016 11:43 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
***I updated the page***met a man who climbed halfway up the Purdy lookout in early 1940s.****

The details of the Purdy Lookout are still waiting to be uncovered. In 2016 the firefinder was found for the Tahuya Lookout in storage. On the firefinder map, a location was marked as the Purdy Lookout, similar to all the other lookouts on the firefinder map. The pinhole was located at a high knob above the town. Several months later, while collecting WWII Aircraft Warning Service records in the National Archives, a 1940s list of existing lookouts was found. Purdy Lookout was on the list, marked as a framed timber lookout at an elevation of 250 feet, managed by the Port Orchard District, warden D. Fraser. The location matched the location on the Tahuya Firefinder. The Purdy Lookout has not been found on any other maps or in any other documents. These two pieces of evidence suggest a lookout did exist. Purdy did not become a listed AWS site managed by the FS. I'm leaning to it being used for fire detection but more will need to be written when found.

Location of Purdy in Pierce County
Location of Purdy in Pierce County
List of "Lookout Towers"
List of "Lookout Towers"
Location on topo map
Location on topo map
Just one landowner in the 10 acres where the lookout was reported
Just one landowner in the 10 acres where the lookout was reported

FULL PURDY LOOKOUT TRIP REPORT
As always, let me know if you have ideas/knowledge about this.

--------------
Taking a break from peakbagging to do some lookout bagging.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Hesman

Hesman
PostFri Oct 28, 2016 8:49 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Having lived in this area I am not surprised about a lookout being located here. It has a fantastic unobstructed view to the west and the view of the Olympic Mountains is one of the best.

--------------
You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. - Dr. Seuss
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Purdy Lookout
  Happy Birthday Mr. Cleanhead!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: