Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > things were different in the 50's
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Nov 01, 2016 6:10 am 
Not 50s, but 1960s in the Puritan settlement of East Wenatchee. We dared to go trick or treating on a Sunday night, because that was Halloween. There was much debate about whether that was acceptable in the Wenatchee area. One neighbor was angry, told us we were going to hell, and then, gave us full size Hershey bars which made the threat of going to hell worthwhile. up.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostTue Nov 01, 2016 11:30 am 
I was born in 1941 and grew up in rural PA. It was quite idyllic. In my grade school (enrollment about 50) two kids got polio and one ended up in an iron lung. One kid died of a brain tumor which probably would be treatable today. One kid got a severe concussion from falling off his bike (no wussie helmets then) and had some permanent damage. One kid had eye problems from complications from measles. One kid's older brother died in a fire (no smoke alarms then). My uncle died at age 29 from an illness which is curable nowadays. In high school (enrollment about 150) two kids, one of them a grade school classmate, were killed in traffic accidents which nowadays, with seatbelts and airbags, would have only resulted in minor injuries. Two kids, including one of my best friends, were injured in similar accidents so severely that they missed a year of school (no home tutoring back then). Child abuse and spousal abuse were common and basically tolerated (“not our business”). We all worked in the summer (I started at age 10), including most of the girls. Not a lot of lazy summer days for us. About half the boys dropped out of school before graduating. Police response was hours, there were no ambulances, and the volunteer fire company always saved the foundation. Oh yeah, and them evil Ruuskies were fixing to nuke us. I sure do miss those idyllic 50s.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Nov 01, 2016 11:37 am 
So....were there gates on logging roads in the 50's ? I know there was not Highway 20!...but a gravel road...for part of the way....

Art is an adventure.
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Nov 01, 2016 12:03 pm 
Stefan wrote:
So....were there gates on logging roads in the 50's ?
There were gates on the private logging roads, i.e. Weyerhaeuser Tree Farms (Snoqualmie, White River, St Helens), but there were no gates on any Forest Service or DNR roads. There were a few exceptions.

Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostTue Nov 01, 2016 12:04 pm 
Things were different in the 50's..... Yep....we were blowing up whole islands in the Pacific and showering the world in fallout. Oh how I wish we could go back to the 50's....just like Happy Days. rant.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Nov 01, 2016 12:32 pm 
Token Civilian wrote:
Things were different in the 50's.....
... and some things well into the 1960's.... PCV valves were non-existent. Automobile engines used "breather caps" (or a "breather pipe", as in the case of the early "Slant-6" Chrysler engine) that sprayed oil fumes (or oil, depending upon the degree of blowby the engine created) all over the road. The small-block Chevrolet used a system like this until 1967, when they finally went to a "closed breather" system. Changing your own oil was simple: Drain the oil from the crankcase into a large flat pan, walk to the curb, and dump the oil down the storm drain. This was standard procedure. Most gas stations had "floor sumps", that were no more than a length of 6-inch diameter steel pipe that went down into the ground a ways. Cleaning the garage floor was simple: just sweep and wash everything down the drain! City Rents (right next door to us on 38th & Pacific) had a drain like that in the room where they washed down all the returned rental equipment. Ducolon (right behind us) had the same sort of thing. I recall the DOE/EPA cleanup on that corner took several years.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Nov 01, 2016 7:52 pm 
Heck, as recently as the '70s I remember my dad dumping the used oil on the ground out next to the garage. It just soaked in and disappeared...

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Nov 01, 2016 8:52 pm 
You also got drafted.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Nov 01, 2016 9:20 pm 
My parents were in their 40's when I was born. They told me stories of the 50's and early 60's and their lifestyles. I WOULD GIVE ANYTHING TO LIVE THAT LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant begin to tell you how much better it sounded! Did they make a lot of money? No they did not, but things weren't expensive. They had grade school educations and they owned a home, two cars, a boat an airplane and they raised two kids just fine! I would give anything to go back there. No damn cell phone! No damn internet. No damn 1000 television channels! NO DAMN COMPUTER GAMES! Im not the smartest man, but Im not stupid. That life sounds INFINITELY better than ours today!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue Nov 01, 2016 11:17 pm 
There was no NWhikers. Turbo bummer.

trestle

trestle
PostWed Nov 02, 2016 5:20 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
My parents were in their 40's when I was born. They told me stories of the 50's and early 60's and their lifestyles. I WOULD GIVE ANYTHING TO LIVE THAT LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant begin to tell you how much better it sounded! Did they make a lot of money? No they did not, but things weren't expensive. They had grade school educations and they owned a home, two cars, a boat an airplane and they raised two kids just fine! I would give anything to go back there. No damn cell phone! No damn internet. No damn 1000 television channels! NO DAMN COMPUTER GAMES! Im not the smartest man, but Im not stupid. That life sounds INFINITELY better than ours today!
I hear you can freely move to Cuba now and that life there is frozen in the 50s. No irony whatsoever. wink.gif clown.gif

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Nov 02, 2016 7:03 am 
In the 60s, if you were a girl, you had to wear a dress to school. That meant during the winter, when there was snow on the ground and temps did not get above freezing, you had to wear a dress. Long dresses were unheard of. The most we could do was to wear leotards, which were made of thinnish sock material. The girls who came from really poor families still had bare legs. We still went outdoors everyday for recess...and people think I'm crazy now when I wear shorts if the temps are 50 or above. Later, in Junior High, we girls HAD to take home ec. Boys HAD to take shop classes. We were told to act like ladies, and one PE teacher made us walk around the gym for at least one whole session to practice walking "like ladies". Luckily for me, I was young enough so the switch from playing basketball with girl's rules to boy's rules was made after 7th grade. I can't remember much about the girl's game except you were not supposed to run very much. If you were a girl, and you aspired to be something other than a good wife and mother--good luck. You would be steered towards being a secretary, a nurse, or a teacher. Thank goodness for that much feared Women's Lib movement. And finally, when I was in the 9th grade, we could wear pants to school or long dresses. I love seeing my little friends aspiring to be engineers, or doctors, or scientists, while still pretending to be princesses. It is much better for girls now.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Nov 03, 2016 12:18 pm 
Sir Bedivere wrote:
Heck, as recently as the '70s I remember my dad dumping the used oil on the ground out next to the garage. It just soaked in and disappeared...
Popular Science Jan 1963 pp 166
Popular Science Jan 1963 pp 166

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Nov 03, 2016 12:26 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
"In the 60s, if you were a girl, you had to wear a dress to school.... Later, in Junior High, we girls HAD to take home ec. Boys HAD to take shop classes..."
The "dress code" thing was still in effect here until 1969. My girlfriend and I both got sent home for wearing modified gunny sacks to school one day. In 1970 most of us just said "F U" to the school administration regarding their "dress code" (length of girls' skirts and boys hair would be the two best examples) and wore what we wanted to wear. In 1970 I tried to enroll in Home Ec (so I could be with the girls) but they wouldn't allow it. Shop class wasn't a required course here.

mike

mike
PostThu Nov 03, 2016 12:27 pm 
In the '50's boys aspired to be president while girls could be Miss America. Whereas now....er...ah...check with me next week about that.