Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > THE Time change.....
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Nov 02, 2016 2:48 pm 
Time changes isn't even on my extremely short list of life's concerns. That I only have one more dish of ice cream left in the freezer is a bigger concern to me. Actually that's my entire list. Time change - no big deal. I just roll with it and get on with living a good life.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Nov 02, 2016 3:14 pm 
Set your clocks back Sunday; set the country back Tuesday.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Nov 02, 2016 3:30 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Set your clocks back Sunday; set the country back Tuesday.
If only we could change Presidents again in the spring like we do the clocks.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Nov 03, 2016 8:34 am 
*Daylight Saving Time (not savings) dizzy.gif

Mongo

Mongo
PostThu Nov 03, 2016 8:47 pm 
Absolutely no one is for the time shift, but every year it happens again. Maybe we can hire Tim Eyman to get a petition started.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Nov 04, 2016 8:42 am 
We need to get the feds out of the time control business and not let the states in on it either. It must be an individual right to set ones own time. First step is to repeal: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/chapter-6/subchapter-IX

IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostFri Nov 04, 2016 9:20 am 
Again, DST or the (existing) winter compromise. Problem is that each time a bill has been drafted, the intent is to eliminate DST and stay on Standard Time year-round. Which would be stupid and a miserable waste, at least where we live! The argument for kids and winter morning light for safety will never go away. And all-year Standard time would mean months more of dark commutes home and lost evening hours in both the spring and fall. The shift REALLY DOES serve a function. Total downside: Pressing a couple buttons on the microwave twice a year, and going to bed 1 hour early 1 night in the spring. Really, what is the big deal??

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
mike

mike
PostFri Nov 04, 2016 11:38 am 
IanB wrote:
The argument for kids and winter morning light for safety will never go away. And all-year Standard time would mean months more of dark commutes home and lost evening hours in both the spring and fall.
This and other arguments above reflect the Puget Sound Bias typical in all things in WA. e,g, Spokane is already nearly an hour ahead of Seattle.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Nov 04, 2016 12:32 pm 
It seems like a number of people are confused here: "Daylight Saving" is only in effect during the longer days of the year. We switch to Standard Time during the winter months, so can anyone explain how Daylight Saving increases children's safety when it isn't even in effect during the short days? The whole thing seems contrived and ridiculous, but it seems far less important than some other issues. My only other question: Who stands to profit from this arrangement?

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
mike

mike
PostFri Nov 04, 2016 12:49 pm 
Schenk wrote:
so can anyone explain how Daylight Saving increases children's safety when it isn't even in effect during the short days?
The rationale is that PST shifts the 1 hour of "saved" daylight back to the morning when the kids are out waiting for the bus. How this is rational is up for debate.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Nov 04, 2016 1:31 pm 
mike wrote:
This and other arguments above reflect the Puget Sound Bias typical in all things in WA. e,g, Spokane is already nearly an hour ahead of Seattle.
Speaking of bias, and I guess of Seattle, I don't have kids, so let's all forget about this morning safety business. wink.gif

IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostFri Nov 04, 2016 2:55 pm 
mike wrote:
Mike, can you please explain? I really don't get what your saying.
Cyclopath wrote:
Speaking of bias, and I guess of Seattle, I don't have kids, so let's all forget about this morning safety business. wink.gif
Nor do I have kids, but I can see how people who do would like for them to not be dodging cars in the dark. Also, as I said before, those who work outdoors, like contractors, like having it light at 8 rather than 9. And as I also said before, my preference would be DST year-round - but I am willing to compromise in the winter for the two reasons stated above. And why is compromise such an awful thing when the sacrifice involved is utterly inconsequential?

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Nov 04, 2016 3:00 pm 
If it really was inconsequential, you wouldn't bother with a compromise because it wouldn't mean anything to you to simply give me my way. smile.gif

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Nov 04, 2016 3:11 pm 
mike wrote:
The rationale is that PST shifts the 1 hour of "saved" daylight back to the morning when the kids are out waiting for the bus. How this is rational is up for debate.
Unless I am mistaken, by March, sunrise is already before bus stop time without the "spring forward" of one hour, so the kids would not even notice it? Remaining on Standard Time would still keep school children out of the dark. I think the best comment I have ever seen on Daylight Saving was by one of the members here: "Only a fool believes you can cut 12 inches off the bottom of a blanket, sew it to the top, and have a longer blanket."

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostFri Nov 04, 2016 3:13 pm 
The inconsequential sacrifice I meant was resetting a few clocks twice a year. The benefit in exchange is of consequence. So are you actually in favor of year-round standard time? If so, would you say why?