Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > THE Time change.....
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostFri Nov 04, 2016 3:19 pm 
For what it's worth: 2016 June 21, Spokane - Sunrise: 4:52, Sunset 8:51 June 21, Seattle - Sunrise: 5:12, Sunset: 9:11 Dec 21, Spokane - Sunrise: 7:35, Sunset: 4:00 Dec 21, Seattle - Sunrise: 7:55, Sunset: 4:20 So things happen about 20 min earlier in Washington at Spokane's longitude than Seattle's. Move south if you want more sun.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostFri Nov 04, 2016 3:26 pm 
Schenk wrote:
Unless I am mistaken, by March, sunrise is already before bus stop time without the "spring forward" of one hour, so the kids would not even notice it? Remaining on Standard Time would still keep school children out of the dark.
Yes, this is true. Standard time is what makes it light in the morning, in winter, when daylight hours are at a premium. DST is what shifts that extra hour, once them are enough of them, into the evening, so that, in the spring and fall you can actually get something done outside after you get home from work. By midsummer, there's more light than can almost be used, but I'd still rather have it at 10 than at 3 a.m.

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostFri Nov 04, 2016 4:42 pm 
fwiw...here in the northern states dst has some advantages however that being said, in the southern states there is little change in the light..the northern states will still have daylight until 10p, but as I personally experienced in florida it will be dark by 9pm....this is because of the wobble the earth does in its yearly march around the sun.........

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012
PostFri Nov 04, 2016 7:16 pm 
cdestroyer wrote:
this is because of the wobble the earth does in its yearly march around the sun.........
Actually it's due to the tilt of the earth's axis. The closer you are to the equator, the less fluctuation between light and darkness.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSat Nov 05, 2016 7:57 am 
I think I said that!..didn't I?

trestle

trestle
PostSat Nov 05, 2016 8:04 am 
Considering the axis is fixed, it's not a true wobble; but that's just splitting semantic hairs.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostSat Nov 05, 2016 8:16 am 
trestle wrote:
Considering the axis is fixed, it's not a true wobble; but that's just splitting semantic hairs.
The axis is tilted and for our purposes fixed in its tilt, but it does have a variety of wobbles that amount to probably less than 10 meters with a period of over a year. Superimposed on this is a steady drift of the rotational pole of about 10mm/yr.

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostMon Nov 07, 2016 10:16 am 
thanks for all the interesting replies. Let's see if I have this straight. We do the time change so the kids can go to school in the light. Now I see they want to change the school start times to latter. Seems like we're fighting ourselves there....won't the kids go home in the dark now? confused.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")