Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Cheap rooms for the winter- From Skykomish to Leavenworth?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostTue Nov 01, 2016 2:42 pm 
I interviewed for a bartending gig up at Stevens for the winter today.. Pretty sure I am going to get the job. Now comes the hard part.. Finding an inexpensive room for rent within resonable distance of the pass. I checked out Craigslist and its slim pickings, I didn't see anything within my price range. Willing to shovel snow, chop wood, etc, etc... Thought I'd post on here to see if anyone had any leads.... ?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Nov 01, 2016 3:25 pm 
Yeah it's pretty limited -- so much so that some have resorted to camping in snow caves (part-time weekend folks)

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Nov 01, 2016 3:39 pm 
Consider also posting your request on Turns All Year, where skiers are more likely to see it. Does the ski area have any ideas? Can they hook you up with other employees who have or need lodging? Where do the other Stevens Pass employees and ski patrol live? In the winter, who lives at those cabins adjacent to the parking lot on the north side of the highway or that lodge on the south side of the highway at Yodelin? Have you considered stealth or regular camping? Say, up the Beckler River Road. There are small heaters that work for a vehicle, although I don't know anything about them. Try contacting Christine, the owner of Scottish Lakes High Camp. She lives near the Nason Ridge rest area and has staff that work at the camp that may live nearby. She may have some ideas. The Mountaineers has a lodge right at Stevens Pass that could work for weekends.

RichP

RichP
PostTue Nov 01, 2016 3:47 pm 
I don't know if they operate in winter, but you might get a lead from Dinsmore's. http://www.dinsmoreshikerhaven.com/home.html

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Nov 01, 2016 3:52 pm 
Wow, checking out Dinsmore's is a great idea.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Nov 01, 2016 5:08 pm 
Go hang out at the bar in SKykomish and ask around; the bartenders and the locals might be able to help out.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Nov 01, 2016 5:20 pm 
I would look toward the Leavenworth side. The Skykomish side is often closed for hours by accidents & slides, which happen much less often on the east side. There's also less traffic. I know the ski area used to find housing for seasonal employees they brought up from S. America in both Skykomish and Leavenworth.

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostWed Nov 02, 2016 12:24 am 
I have one potential lead... My plan B is to sleep in the Subaru and bum showers when I can dizzy.gif If you're skiing at Stevens, come grab a beer and say hi!

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostWed Nov 02, 2016 8:20 am 
Ages ago a guy I knew who worked at Stevens had luck with one of the LITTLE cabins tucked in behind the "handmade knife" shop.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Nov 02, 2016 9:38 am 
Schroder wrote:
I would look toward the Leavenworth side. The Skykomish side is often closed for hours by accidents & slides, which happen much less often on the east side. There's also less traffic.
This is excellent advice. But it appears you want to be closer in. Have you tried putting up little flyers (in stores/cafes) with tabbed phone numbers to call you--in places like Skykomish or Index or for that matter Cole's Corner? ~z

hikersarenumber1

hikersarenumber1
PostWed Nov 02, 2016 2:23 pm 
Didnt stevens use to do some thing where they gave people free passes for renting rooms to their employees???

mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostFri Nov 04, 2016 12:30 am 
I have a friend that lives alone near Coles Corner. Might be able to work something out if you're interested.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Nov 04, 2016 10:16 am 
Definitely more potential opportunities on the Lworth side. Can you cut a deal for the RV lot and get an old RV for cheap?

Brucester

Brucester
PostSat Nov 05, 2016 8:59 am 
Night after night in a Subaru could get old. Been there done that. Not very fun. '87 DL wagon 2002 months before PCT. Stayed with friends instead. They couldn't let me sleep in a car.... Ask around, if not them, leave a number with that person, don't underestimate the power of people. Social media??? I was in Quinault back in '92. Got to know my neighbors at a campground. Two years later I moved xc from CT to WA with a free place to stay for 6 months. Had a job lined up too.... Good luck with the search, keep us updated.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSat Nov 05, 2016 1:10 pm 
What is your price range for what you can afford, Fletcher? My place is full as usual, but I have a friend nearby who may have a room.