Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > A Dear Abby moment
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostThu Nov 03, 2016 8:56 am 
hikersarenumber1 wrote:
Why not just come out and say it? I noticed some things about your kitchen design that aren't typical. Its traditional to have a window above the kitchen sink. Typically, for good work flow in a kitchen, the fridge is located closer to the work space...
This. If phrased carefully, its a gentle way to pop the bubble. Also mention diminished resale value of not desirable non-traditional elements (e.g. no kitchen window). In re kitchen design, I believe it's the "triangle" of the stove-sink-fridge elements that is a key. Within the space, keeping that triangle relatively "tight" is good design. When I bought my house, the kitchen was a disaster in terms of layout. Fridge and stove were side by side on a short wall across from the sink - a small triangle, but horrible layout since the heat from the stove was right next to the fridge. There were also no flanking counter top spaces to put things on when working at the stove. When I remodeled, I moved the fridge and put in flanking cabinets on either side of the stove with counter space on which to work. I kept the triangle tight though - from standing in front of the stove, the fridge is 2-3 steps away. Sink is "turn around, 1/2 step" from the stove. There is also counter top space adjoining the fridge - I can take things out and stage on the counter next to the fridge.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostThu Nov 03, 2016 10:19 am 
Ski wrote:
^ This is a no-brainer ("embiggens" notwithstanding.)
It's a perfectly cromulent word.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostThu Nov 03, 2016 10:39 am 
I don't know your family dynamics, but it appears they did not want you involved in the planning of their new home and were only showing the plans as a sense of pride. Be that as it may it's hard to offer what isn't asked for; so I'm in the minority opinion and say let it go, obviously they do not value or want your construction expertise when comes to helping them. That being said it's probably a question of independence. If the design becomes a problem, say nothing as it would serve no purpose, perhaps they might ask you to help fix it and then realize how talented you are.