Forum Index > Trail Talk > 2017 NWHikers.net calendar
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostTue Nov 08, 2016 8:42 am 
Order your 2017 NWHikers.net calendar here. Use coupon code JAN17 for up to 50% off. Please note calendars are provided at cost (we do not earn anything from calendar orders) so don't feel compelled to buy a calendar or pad your order to support NWH. The best way to support NWH is to simply remember to use our amazon link whenever you shop at amazon (NWH earns roughly 6% if you use our link at the top of the page). We decided to release results early this year as there were too many logistical issues to wait until the social for the reveal. If you want a calendar, please use the order link above. There will be a limited number of calendars available for purchase at the social if you want to save shipping (pm me to reserve). The calendar social is always a good time so don't forget to sign up here. Polls have closed and the top 4 photos are now revealed here. Congrats to all!

Wiki summmary last edited by Tom on Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:23 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostTue Nov 08, 2016 9:00 am 
It may help with submissions if we decide on a timeline for submission & voting?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Nov 08, 2016 11:02 am 
They're calendars to be user-ready by January 1st, and we need to vote on them before they're submitted for printing and delivery. I'd say if you have some photos, best to get them in as soon as you can. up.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Nov 09, 2016 11:39 pm 
Bump. Submit photos here by Monday, Nov 14!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Nov 10, 2016 3:18 am 
okay I did.... lame as it is, at least it allows for more choices! lol.gif post your pics! dizzy.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Nov 13, 2016 5:21 am 
Ok, all you procrastinating photographers, there are some great photos submitted in the calendar contest, but we need yours too! I'm still in Germany where wifi is amazingly spotty, but somehow I managed to post a few taken with my cheap little camera, so you can too! Deadline is tomorrow, Monday November 14. smile.gif

LizzyRN

LizzyRN
PostSun Nov 13, 2016 11:49 am 
Okay, I have never uploaded a photo. Are there some "uploading for Dummies" instructions somewhere?

LizzyRN Where's my inhaler?!
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSun Nov 13, 2016 11:55 am 
LizzyRN wrote:
Okay, I have never uploaded a photo. Are there some "uploading for Dummies" instructions somewhere?
Here is the how to for photos: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10921

LizzyRN

LizzyRN
PostSun Nov 13, 2016 9:25 pm 
Thank you

LizzyRN Where's my inhaler?!
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Nov 14, 2016 10:24 pm 
Can't wait to vote up.gif

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Nov 14, 2016 11:44 pm 
Gorgeous photos!! Thanks to all our NWHikers who took the time to enter the contest, and thanks to Tom for running the contest again! up.gif There were some really great entries that Tom found were too wide for the calendar, hopefully those can be resubmitted in a size that will fit.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Nov 15, 2016 5:23 pm 
Deadline was midnight 11/14/2016. Extended 1 day to allow time to correct some submission issues: If your photos are vertical or wider than 3:2 they have been flagged. If so, please crop to the allowed dimensions and re-submit your photos to ensure voting reflects how they will print on a calendar page that is 11" wide x 8.5" tall. This translates to a 4:3 ratio. Much wider than that will require a crop or letterbox to fit on the page. That is why the rules require submissions be horizontal with a 3:2 - 4:3 ratio. Photos must have been taken within the last 12 months. Looks like we have some photos that exceed the allowed timeframe. Granted, they are beautiful photos but they must have been taken within the last 12 months. This ensures a level playing field for everyone. Photos should be seasonally appropriate. Guidelines are provided in the category description. For example, if your photo was taken in June it is OK to submit it in May. You should not submit it earlier than May unless it's truly appropriate for an earlier month. Yes, we'd all like to see color in the calendar sooner rather than later, but that's why June can be submitted in May, July in June, etc. Photos deemed not seasonally appropriate (e.g. summer photos submitted in winter or spring months) will be moved before voting starts, but we'd prefer you do it.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Nov 16, 2016 5:07 am 
Looks like we are going to have another great calendar this year. I have locked the submission thread but am waiting a little longer to open up voting for a couple reasons. First, I want to make sure everyone's photos were submitted properly. In past years photos sometimes got left out when 2 people were adding or editing submissions at the same time. So please review your submissions to make they are there. I did move a couple photos for seasonal relevance, and I also removed some submissions because they exceeded the 12 month rule or were vertical photos. I left the wide photos in as I think they can be cropped to fit. Second, I am going to be enabling the new lightbox for voting. I want to make sure the lightbox is working for everyone. So take a test run and make sure you can view the larger sizes. I think you'll really enjoy the new lightbox. I also plan to tweak things to display larger sizes for google/picasa submissions. They are currently only displayed at 800 pixels and plan to bump it to 1600 pixels.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Nov 16, 2016 9:30 am 
I like the new lightbox. smile.gif

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed Nov 16, 2016 10:05 am 
Light box seems pretty snazzy. Nice effect! However I use Google Photos and I noticed that all my submissions are displaying blurry at full size. I know the images I submitted are shaper than that, so it's probably a compression issue. Any ideas? This will certainly affect the vote.