Forum Index > Trail Talk > 2017 NWHikers.net calendar
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostTue Nov 08, 2016 8:42 am 
Order your 2017 NWHikers.net calendar here. Use coupon code JAN17 for up to 50% off. Please note calendars are provided at cost (we do not earn anything from calendar orders) so don't feel compelled to buy a calendar or pad your order to support NWH. The best way to support NWH is to simply remember to use our amazon link whenever you shop at amazon (NWH earns roughly 6% if you use our link at the top of the page). We decided to release results early this year as there were too many logistical issues to wait until the social for the reveal. If you want a calendar, please use the order link above. There will be a limited number of calendars available for purchase at the social if you want to save shipping (pm me to reserve). The calendar social is always a good time so don't forget to sign up here. Polls have closed and the top 4 photos are now revealed here. Congrats to all!

Wiki summmary last edited by Tom on Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:23 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
mike

mike
PostWed Nov 23, 2016 1:40 pm 
lanzscape wrote:
...many of them have a human subject."
...but no off-leash dogs frown.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mike

mike
PostWed Nov 23, 2016 1:42 pm 
I notice that at least two of the finalists could use an horizon leveling. Hope that it happens before this goes to press.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed Nov 23, 2016 2:17 pm 
mike wrote:
I notice that at least two of the finalists could use an horizon leveling. Hope that it happens before this goes to press.
Yeah this was one of the reasons I was surprised by the finalists. They're all nice photos but for most months I thought there were much better ones. I also suspect a lot of people just vote based on the thumbnails. Some of the finalists look striking in miniature but show some quality/detail/color issues and odd editing when blown up. And the reverse -- some non-finalists look ordinary in the small version but awesome once you blow then up.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Nov 23, 2016 2:44 pm 
One of the finalists looks amazing as a thumbnail but much less so blown up. I wanted to vote for it based on the small version, but don't think it will hold up in print. I hope I'm wrong.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Nov 23, 2016 4:03 pm 
All finalist photos look good to me. If the photo looks pixelated or blurry at full size it could be that it hasn't fully loaded in the lightbox. There are a few photos that could use some minor tweaks or cleanup but I'm confident all will look good in the calendar.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Nov 23, 2016 10:32 pm 
lanzscape wrote:
"It's interesting to see that out of the top 2 photos in each month, many of them have a human subject." Well, this is the NW Hikers calendar. All other things being equal (admittedly a subjective and personal opinion), I voted for images with hikers. Just me, of course. But given the title/theme, I think this makes sense, all other things being equal.
I like well placed/posed humans in many pictures. Putting people in the landscape evokes a sense of scale and, depending on what they're doing or how they're posed/positioned in the picture, can add a sense of drama or emotion that wouldn't otherwise be there. Some of my favorite pictures are when you have some massive mountain or glacier or other really large feature and it only becomes apparent it's that enormous when you find the tiny humans in it.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Nov 23, 2016 10:36 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
Songs2 wrote:
A shout-out for the "Harrier Hunting in Tall Grass," probably my favorite of the many interesting, evocative photos submitted.
I voted for it as well, but unfortunately it didn't make the top 2. frown.gif
Thanks for your support! smile.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Nov 23, 2016 10:49 pm 
I am always surprised at some of the choices but eventually come around to appreciating why. I think Jason Hummel had the best insight in advance of the first calendar. www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=446175#446175

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostMon Nov 28, 2016 8:43 pm 
I voted for the harrier, too! Getting that shot took a lot of skill! I was happy to note that the two photos I agonized about for the December choice are nos. 1 and 2! I'll be happy no matter which comes out on top! I also like human subjects (preferably hikers). If no humans, at least trails. However, I'm also partial to wildflowers! I was sorry that the lovely shot of the lone trillium didn't make it.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Nov 29, 2016 1:54 am 
Less than 24 hours left to vote in the finals! See wiki for the latest tally. It seems voters in the finals have a different perspective on the cover. It was a 4:1 favorite in the primary but is only garnering 50% of new votes. It's still a shoe in to win due to its initial lead from the primary, but interesting to see. Many other races appear to be decided except for June where first place has a 3 vote lead, and December where the second place photo from the primary has closed the gap considerably. April and November are also fairly close with 10 votes or less separating first and second. Please vote in the finals if you haven't had a chance. Your vote will make a difference in the closer races.

mike

mike
PostTue Nov 29, 2016 11:00 am 
Tom wrote:
It's still a shoe in to win due to its initial lead from the primary, but
So, votes from the primary carry over? I thought that this was a run-off...

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Nov 29, 2016 1:05 pm 
If you voted for a photo in the primary and it made the finals it is selected by default for your convenience. You can switch your vote if you want. I would venture to guess most don't change their vote.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Nov 29, 2016 1:35 pm 
Obviously a moot point, but I didn't see anything called lightbox when I voted. It looked the same as previous years.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Nov 29, 2016 1:38 pm 
The lightbox is the feature that displays the larger sizes.

mike

mike
PostTue Nov 29, 2016 1:43 pm 
Tom wrote:
If you voted for a photo in the primary and it made the finals it is selected by default for your convenience. You can switch your vote if you want. I would venture to guess most don't change their vote.
My question was, do the votes in the preliminary round carry over into the run-off or is it a separate vote starting from zero as it would be in a traditional run-off election?