Forum Index > Trip Reports > Dock Butte - Hike #3
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Luahna

Luahna
PostFri Nov 11, 2016 7:50 am 
Today's hike was up a neighboring mountain of my first hike, Dock Butte. I seem to like mountains with trails on them, for now. Our drive out was much like last time. I'm good until about Sedro Woolley, but then all hell breaks loose for a bit. Once we get onto dirt roads, however, things improve. Funny how that works. Despite the sunny forecast, things were a bit hazy today. Mom got me all wrapped up and ready to roll.
The trail this time was a bit less enjoyable. A so-so forest with limited views was our partner today. Occasional views of a very snow Mt Baker would provide some relief.
Near the summit, there are options to follow the switchbacking trails up or to take the ridge. Initially the ridge looked intimidating for my little legs, so we took the snowy trail. I had a little pit stop here in the cold, sunless, snowy side of the mountain.
Did you know that when you cry outside, it doesn't seem nearly as loud as indoors! Anyway, the snow was only a few inches deep starting around 5000ft. We even met another group with a young whippersnapper like me, though he was old at 18 months of age. Shortly thereafter, we were on top for 360 views. I later learned this was a P2K peak, whatever that means.
Our down route involved taking the ridge instead of the slick trail. It was much easier, even for my 70+ year old Nana that joined us today! We made it back to the car just in time for me to wake up and get changed. 2 peaks down, only 4300+ to go.

just getting started
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Nov 11, 2016 10:21 am 
Stay away from that prominence thing! Its like crack cocaine! biggrin.gif

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message