Forum Index > Trip Reports > Fall colors and a bear (Pennsylvania, 10/29/16)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSat Oct 29, 2016 9:40 pm 
Laurel Highlands, southwestern Pennsylvania (Oct 29, 2016) My go to location for conditioning hikes near Pittsburgh is the Laurel Highlands Trail. The LHT rollercoasters its way for 70mi from Ohiopyle to Johnstown, so long mileage hikes are easily available. Even better, the numerous hills provide ample opportunities to tuck in some elevation gain (e.g. I'm able to get in around 6,000-7,000ft of gain by doing laps on some of the hills). While I've hiked this trail in almost all conditions, curiously enough I've always looked for other options during peak fall. I guess I've never wanted to 'waste' the precious fall foliage weeks on old faithful. This morning, I finally decided to give the Laurel Highlands Trail a go. I hiked the first 7.5mi in almost prime fall conditions. After a cool start, it ended up being a gorgeous, sunny, warm day. I spent about an hour at the 2.3mi mark, at my favorite viewpoint of the hike, enjoying the sunrise. The rest of the walk was a mix of put-my-head-down-and-hike and the occasional photo session. The best part was encountering one of the largest black bears I've seen, as it crossed the trail about 50yds from me. This was the second bear I've run into on the Laurel Highlands Trail, but the only one I've ever managed to capture on camera. Hiking/photography stats: 15mi, 4000ft elevation gain, 7.5hrs
14- Bear Crossing
14- Bear Crossing

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSat Oct 29, 2016 10:28 pm 
Nice colors and cool bear sighting! I haven't seen one all year....a rarity in the Cascades ( usually see one or two a year).

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSun Oct 30, 2016 11:46 am 
Ah, my old stomping grounds....used to live in North Park, very pleasant area. Cool bear.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSun Oct 30, 2016 7:09 pm 
Thanks guys. A few words about the bear encounter: This was the third black bear encounter I've had on trail, here on the east coast, although I've seen a few from the car in the Smokies. Both of the other two bears were about half the size of this one, and bolted into the woods as soon as they saw me. This one was moving through the woods below the trail, when I came upon it. It chose that moment to climb up to the trail, huffing and puffing under the excess weight it had packed on for winter, then ambled for a bit along the trail, away from me. I stayed put and managed to fire off a few photos, before it exited stage left to climb up the hillside. I typically have my wide angle lens mounted on the camera, with my tele-zoom in the backpack. Thankfully, this time I was only carting a single 24-70mm lens, that was mounted on the camera. That allowed me to take my first ever photo of a bear in the wild. Yeah, it's not a super impressive photo, but I'm thrilled with it. dance.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostMon Oct 31, 2016 2:36 pm 
Nice pictures. I still get a little nostalgic for PA this time of year. PA claims to have the largest variety of deciduous trees, and hence the largest variety of colors, of any state, but there may be some puffery there.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Oct 31, 2016 7:37 pm 
CC wrote:
PA claims to have the largest variety of deciduous trees, and hence the largest variety of colors, of any state, but there may be some puffery there.
No doubt. Pennsylvania has extensive hardwood forests, but the problem is that not all of the trees turn at the same time. By the time the last greens have transformed, half of the early turners are bare. New England seems to have a more synchronized show. The best display I've seen was in Vermont a few years ago.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Oct 31, 2016 8:19 pm 
Vermont is amazing as is Ontario camped at Mt Mansfield and in Algonquin PP in leafing season and both were like a calendar photo. Hotel prices and traffic were crazy at Smugglers Notch.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
mustang sal

mustang sal
PostMon Nov 07, 2016 9:30 pm 
Try going to the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania...around Wellsboro, PA. Lots of hikes in remote area where there are more deer than people.

natural_log

natural_log
PostTue Nov 15, 2016 9:17 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
Yeah, it's not a super impressive photo, but I'm thrilled with it.
Solid first bear pic! I'm sure many of us could show off photos of a black smudge in a sea of green... Beautiful photos of the mountains and clouds. I was in the NY capital region this weekend and did a hike up near Lake George. In my time out here, I had forgotten that yes, leaves do fall from the trees elsewhere. Holy leaf litter.