Forum Index > Trip Reports > Arches and Canyonlands NP
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Rook

Rook
PostSun Nov 13, 2016 2:39 pm 
Visited these 2 beautiful parks early Nov. Arches' Devil's Garden Loop https://danieltcyang.wordpress.com/southwest/devils-garden-arches/ Chesler Park at Canyonlands' Needles district https://danieltcyang.wordpress.com/southwest/chesler-park-loop-canyonland/ Island in the Sky district of Canyonlands https://danieltcyang.wordpress.com/southwest/island-in-the-sky-canyonlands-national-park/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gruenk
Weather Anomaly

Gruenk
Weather Anomaly
PostMon Nov 14, 2016 8:06 am 
I spent a couple of very good days at both Needles and Islands in the Sky units of Canyonlands NP in late September. The Chessler Park area is about my favorite place to walk that I've ever been. Swung out to Druid Arch, as well (about a 4-mile rt side canyon), which isn't the most engaging part of the trail system, but the arch itself is worth the walk. The Syncline Loop around Upheaval Dome in the Islands in the Sky unit is a kick in the pants, too, especially if you are used to our NW climate, terrain, and vegetation. Very rough and rocky and scrambly with a spur trail that leads well into the crater for a view of Upheaval Dome very few visitors to the park ever see. I think 3 of us made it the day I was there. Glad you enjoyed it.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Nov 14, 2016 10:00 am 
Went there last spring fantastic area just do not try to stay around Moab unless you have a reservation and $$$. Only place in the west I have been where there is no cowboy camping on BLM land. Note: Devils Garden campground will be closed next year. Also try Escalante and Capitol reef if you want less people or Bears Ears while you can.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Nov 14, 2016 10:41 am 
By late October the crowds were thinning and it was easier to get non-boondock campsites near Moab (and there are some designated BLM free camping spots e.g. on the approach road to Canyonlands for instance - but you do have to camp near little signs with tent/camping symbols; and there were plenty of open NF sites on the approach to Needles). Devil's Garden and Chesler/Joint Loop were highlights of my couple of days in that area for sure. I got on the trail early at Chesler Park and really enjoyed the solitude that yielded for about three quarters of the day, before I returned to the stick of the lollipop by the Chesler viewpoint and the pass back toward the car. The reverb of my footsteps while in the Joint was cool and unexpected! Capitol Reef and the highway 12 area are apparently seeing a surge in use as well but were definitely quieter than the big popular park centers (Moab area and Zion). And full of way more cool stuff than I'll see in a lifetime of visits.

Rook

Rook
PostMon Nov 14, 2016 2:05 pm 
Thanks for your comments. November is the shoulder season, just 2 weeks earlier in late Oct. my friend told me Arches NP's parking was a nightmare. The motel rate was reasonable on my dates, and Moab was moderately busy still. I can only imagine the madness in peak season. Devil's Garden was busy not unlike any popular WA trails, while Chesler Park is more expansive and solitude could still be found. I had to choose b/w Chesler Park and Syncline and very glade someone point me to CP - one of the best trail I've ever hiked.